Checking voltage on windshield shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandlin

We have a motorized MCD shade on our windshield. Privacy shade works fine. Sunshade quit going up or down after beeping 4 times and now doesn’t beep either. MCD said check voltage and to see if you have current at the shade too. So we have a multimeter but don’t really know how to check this. I pulled the toggle switch up from the dash and it is just a mass of wires that appear fine. I hate to order a new motor if it’s just a connection. I’d appreciate any help. Remember this is electronics for dummies!

Post some pictures of the back of the switch, the shades and any mechanism you can get to.

It operates on 12V so you should be able to check for power by measuring from the frame of the RV to any of the wires on the switch. The fact that privacy works means that it does have at least some power. Is there a separate switch for each shade? If so a bad switch might cause it. I don't think that it would have beeped if there was no power. Where did the beeping come from? I was able to locate 2 different owner's manuals so is this the American Duo / American Solo Day / Night Shade System or the AMERICAN SERIES day/night shade or possibly something else?

On the shade picture, you may be able to test for voltage. Use an voltmeter with one end to ground and use a small needle to penetrate the insulation of the wires and measure for voltage while operating the switch. Do this only for 12VDC circuits.

I really don’t think power is the problem but maybe a crimped wire. As I said earlier I just don’t want to order a new motor (which I think is the problem) without eliminating something less costly. I do have all the manuals and MCD has been helpful. This will be a 4th motor for the dual windshield shade so I plan on ordering a cheaper aftermarket one.

To Kirk, we do have separate switches and separate motors for each shade. The wires are all coated and buried in the switch. How do you get to them with the multimeter prong?

The switch comes off the harness but you need to know the wiring schematics to know what you are looking at. The best thing at this point is to do what I suggested and test at the shade. What concerns me is the "Sunshade quit going up or down after beeping 4 times and now doesn’t beep either" comment. Maybe a blown fuse on top of the problem.

The switch comes off the harness but you need to know the wiring schematics to know what you are looking at. The best thing at this point is to do what I suggested and test at the shade. What concerns me is the "Sunshade quit going up or down after beeping 4 times and now doesn’t beep either" comment. Maybe a blown fuse on top of the problem.
Did you not see his picture? All the wires coming out of the plug are white. A schematic is not much help in a situation like that.
I just love it when they do that. First vehicle I ever wired from scratch I did with one roll of wire, but it was a '54 F-100, and it was pretty simple compared to today's vehicles.

Have you tried to push the pins of the meter probes into the plug that is in your picture? If you don't have something to show what pins connect to the measurments may not mean much. Do you have a schematic? Is the plug in your picture where you want to check for power?

Back
Top Bottom