Cheddar Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

For each sandwich:

Slices of Cheddar Cheese (We like medium sharp - we buy the block cheese and slice)
2 pieces of bread

Spread Mayonnaise on one side and butter on the other side of each piece of bread.

Place slices of cheddar cheese between the slices - mayo side.

Place in skillet on buttered side and cook until cheese is melted and bread is slightly browned.  May need to add more butter to the skillet.

Try this recipe with the Tomato Soup recipe I posted.  Not for the calorie adversed.  ::)

We like our grilled cheese sandwiches with jam or jelly spread on top or even peanut butter with or without the jelly.  I know but at least try it you will mostlikely have a pleasent supprise and get hooked on them. :D

It's mustard and dill pickles on grilled cheese for me, with extra sharp cheese (Tillamook is always best).

Sorry, Ron, but jelly on grilled cheese?? Ick.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
It's mustard and dill pickles on grilled cheese for me, with extra sharp cheese (Tillamook is always best).

Sorry, Ron, but jelly on grilled cheese?? Ick.

Wendy

But Wendy have you ever tried it??? You might just be pleasantly supprised.

Well, I'd try your grilled cheese & jelly before I'd try the grilled cheese and mayonnaise!!! Maybe we should have a grilled cheese cookoff at the next rally????

Wendy

Tillamook is good cheese (better than that stuff they try to pass of for cheese in CA) but nothing beats a good 3+ year old Wisconsin cheddar for grilled cheese.  No need to spoil it with anything else.

But true Cheddar cheese comes from Cheddar, not Wisconsin.

Don't tell that to the cheese factories in Wisconsin.  The name may have come from Cheddar, England, but the cheese is best from Wisconsin :)  And what would a Welshman know about cheese anyway ;)

D2, I'm not a mayo person, but that sandwich sounds interesting. Just not for me.

Ned said:
Tillamook is good cheese (better than that stuff they try to pass of for cheese in CA) but nothing beats a good 3+ year old Wisconsin cheddar for grilled cheese.? No need to spoil it with anything else.

That is a matter of opinion.  While we like Wisconsin cheese there are others just as good or even better in our point of view.  I wouldn't make any kind of special effort to get Wisconsin cheese.

wendycoke said:
Well, I'd try your grilled cheese & jelly before I'd try the grilled cheese and mayonnaise!!! Maybe we should have a grilled cheese cook off at the next rally????Wendy

I've heard of chili cook off's but  I have never heard of a grilled cheese cook off.  I think this is something we should try. I love tradition but I also love the idea of trying something new.  When we tire of new things it is time to  permanently retire to the big sky.
Betty

LOL Karl. Remember that Welsh rarebit is made with goat's cheese.

wendycoke said:
Well, I'd try your grilled cheese & jelly before I'd try the grilled cheese and mayonnaise!!! Maybe we should have a grilled cheese cookoff at the next rally????

Wendy

Wendy,

This was a recipe provided by my husband's aunt, a southern lady.  We love it.  Guess it is a southern thing.

Ron said:
We like our grilled cheese sandwiches with jam or jelly spread on top or even peanut butter with or without the jelly. I know but at least try it you will mostlikely have a pleasent supprise and get hooked on them. :D

Ron,

Boy, did your post bring back memories.  I used to eat grilled cheese sandwiches made with Kraft American cheese with jelly on them when I was a kid.  Forgot all about it until your post.

D2 said:
Wendy,

Ron,

Boy, did your post bring back memories.? I used to eat grilled cheese sandwiches made with Kraft American cheese with jelly on them when I was a kid.? Forgot all about it until your post.

They are pretty darn good too.  I still eat Grilled cheese sandwiches with jelly.

I know this is a really old thread but I'd like to mention my way of making grill cheese sandwiches. Butter bread and place choice of cheese inside as usual. Grill one side lightly until butter melted, flip and then press in shredded cheese to that outer side. By this time the other side should be ready to do the same. Continue cooking as normal. End result is a grill cheese with a nice melted interior and a crispy outer side. I call this an Inside-Out grill cheese. Yummy

I put the butter on the inside and the mayo on the outside.  Still get the buttery flavor and the mayo makes a nice crisp & crunchy exterior.  One slice each of medium sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack (Sometimes Swiss).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom