Chelle & Chuck's New Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chellepdx

Good afternoon! I'm so happy to have stumbled on this wealth of RV information and sage advice. My name is Chelle, my husband is Chuck. I'm almost 50 and Chuck is 60--we're still newlyweds. My first marriage, his 3rd but who's counting? After much discussion and plans to move to Grand Rapids, Michigan falling through (recent medical debt has plunged our otherwise good credit into the dirt), we are planning on becoming full-time RVers. Chuck wasn't 100% on board (and he still has some reservations) until very recently; after all, we own a house (well, have a mortgage at any rate), have 2 cars that run (making payments on the newer one), can pay our bills (minimum payments anyway), and even go out to eat or to a concert every now and then. About 6 months ago I started looking around and was amazed at how much "stuff" we have that we never use. Then I realized there were whole rooms I rarely stepped foot in. We both work for the same builders hardware company and although it's a job and we have the option of paying for group health/vision/dental insurance and there's an element of security, have 1 paid week of vacation a year, Etc., we 're both stressed out, depleted physically & mentally at the end of the 10 hour day, hate that our work has a heavy carbon footprint (the DFW area is booming with new home building, most out of reach for working or middle class folks and there's so much theft and waste and sprawl), and we both can hear the clock ticking on our lives. A childhood friend recently died of pancreatic cancer. It really hit me sideways. He was the picture of health and vitality up until he died at a very young 52 years of age. Ok, so let's just say our priorities are in flux. In addition to our work in builders hardware, my husband is a musician who is well-known and respected in the area going back to his singer-songwriter days in the mid-late 70's through his punk rock & new wave days in the 80's, through alt-country and back to rock and roll currently. I have a BFA in art, specifically photography, and want to make it more than a hobby again. I know how to do all kinds of things and have a long work history in catering, sustainable agriculture, cosmetology and now door & cabinet hardware. Chuck has a background in restaurant kitchens, avionic part selling, shipping & receiving and working with custom home builders. We have a lot of questions, however, about how to start. I'm happy to have such a great resource for all things RV related in this forum and we hope to have a solid plan (not to mention the requisite RV) by early next year. I'm the dreamer, seat of my pants type; I admit it, but I've had more successes than failures and I do my due diligence. Everything of value in my life was obtained by taking a chance--especially Chuck!  My husband has worked hard all of his life and lived in the same area.  We don't have much to show for how hard we work and how much we miss out on, so we'd rather work and get to travel with fewer comforts than work til we're dead with a house full of meaningless objects. I'd especially love to hear from people who "get it". Call it my mid-life crisis but please wish us luck and freedom. Cheers, everyone.

We're not doing this to save money but I doubt it seriously we'll spend even half as much living on the road, as we do living in town. We're doing this to travel, get rid of useless possessions, enjoy the outdoors and stop living the same day over and over again. Boondocking as much as possible is the plan. We are thrifty people who can live on very little and have no need for all the bells and whistles of a fancy RV. WE're looking for a small RV, camper or small bus we can modify to fit our needs. Our mortgage is small, thank goodness so we should be able to have at least some steady income by renting the house out.

I get it! we were tired of the same old thing. We decided to go full time and made it happen, we talked about it for years and then one night we just said it was time. Took a 3 week trip to see if we could work on the road, we were able too, came home and spruced up the house put it on the market and sold it in 12 hours, 30 day close and we were gone.  We were lucky that we both had jobs that we could do on the road. It has been 3 years now and haven't looked back. The best part was getting rid of useless (in our opinion) possessions.

Our expenses are about the same as they were with the house. Sometimes less when we work camp, which I do since I no longer work (my choice).

Sounds like you are doing a lot of research as you should. As we travel we meet many others who have figured out to make a living on the road. Lots of seasonal work out there, just need to look for it.
Look into work camping, Escapees Club and others out there that will help you find work on the road.

Do your homework, make a plan and see if it will work for you, if it does see you on the road!!

We sold our home and are in our RV except when we stay with my step son.

So GO FOR IT.

If you want to do some volunteer work a National Parks, Forest Service campgrounds that can be rewarding as well as paying for your site. Most NP's ask for at least a 90 day commitment

Thank you for the welcome.  :) When I'm not working or sleeping, I'm almost always researching. I'm happy to hear there are plenty of volunteer opportunities--I want to give back everywhere I have the good fortune to be able to go!

Back
Top Bottom