Cherokee power steering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flat tow electric steering?

• Flat towing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2019 Cherokee

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

William52

Can we flat tow our new 2019 Cherokee trail hawk without the wiring kit that I guess powers up the electric asst. The owners manual says we need it? May damage? Thanks

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Everything I've read elsewhere indicates that is necessary to prevent what is called a "death wobble", which results from the front wheels not turning  sufficiently to track behind the motorhome well.  This seems to be a common issue on vehicles that have electric power steering rather than hydraulic.

grashley

If the owners manual said you need it and you want to keep your warranty, then you better get it!  This is a no brainer!

moisheh

The kit maynotcuredeath wobble but with power connected to the steering gear it will be damaged. Always follow the mfrs. suggestions.

tsc

from what I've read the 2019's have a revised tow instructions and wiring that is supposed to address the flat towing issues.

I'm in the market for a trailhawk and trying to decide what I want to do also

Oldedit

From what I've read, all newer cars, not just Jeeps, with electric power assisted steering (EPS) are likely to have the "wobble". The wobble is described below as the vibration or movement that occurs when the toad doesn't exactly follow the motorhome or other towing vehicle. This is especially true when sharp turns are made from dead stops on uneven roads.

On another forum, a lady who's been working on the problem for some 18 months reports that while Jeep has a fix for its smaller Jeeps, it still is working on the engineering problems for larger Jeeps like Grand Cherokees.

I haven't seen discussions about what other toad builders are doing to eliminate wobble on their vehicles.

For me, the question is, which potential toads can be towed four wheels to the ground, or flat down, do not have EPS and don't have the wobble issue? Ford-150?, Wranglers, GM pickups, or what?

I spent a few hours last night reading about this problem. I won't buy a 2010 to 2019 Jeep until the issue is resolved.

If I was Jeep, I'd say the heck with it and only promise that Jeeps that don't have ESP can be towed flat down.

Oldedit

tsc said:
from what I've read the 2019's have a revised tow instructions and wiring that is supposed to address the flat towing issues.

I'm in the market for a trailhawk and trying to decide what I want to do also

Be double sure that the Trailhawk has a fix. Is it among the larger Jeeps that won't have a fix for another six months or so? Don't talk to a Jeep sales person. Go to the service department and find someone who knows what you're talking about. Make sure that the Mopar accessory kit (68321424AB) is properly installed, whatever that means.

William52

Update Wiring kit required # 68321-424AB was available comes with detailed instructions we install tomorrow. Talked to a man with a 2016 Cherokee said he only experienced a couple times wobble at low speeds in 20K miles mostly on rough roads. I had to provide the part # Jeep has no clue? Thanks to all.

Top Bottom