Chevy 2500 4X4 & Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gspbrad

Never owned a RV of any type. We really like the Grand Design Reflection 367BHS. Need to upgrade my towing vehicle. Looking at a 2021 or 2022 Chevy 2500 4X4 LTZ 6.6 Duramax . Trying to make sure this combo is a fit or is the trailer too much for the truck and do I need to go to a 3500? Thanks in advance!

2021 Chevy 2500 LTZ Sticker Numbers:
Max Payload: 3168
Gooseneck Max Tongue Weight: 2775 lbs
Gooseneck TWR: 18500 lbs
GVWR: 11350
GCWR: 27500
RGAWR: 6600
Curb Weight: 8182

367BHS
UVW: 12552
Hitch Weight: 2461
GVWR: 14995

Forget it! Your UVW and hitch weight are meaningless as nobody tows an empty trailer as shipped from the factory. Your loaded hitch weight will be at least 20% of the GVWR or 3,000# so the truck is overloaded before you add the wife, dog, groceries and the beer. That trailer needs a 3500 dually under it for safetys sake. I towed a 14,000# shop trailer behind a 3500 srw in a previous life (not by choice). It was not a fun experience.

Concur with above.
Unladen weight is just the weight of the rig AS BUILT.
Now add the propane in the tanks, water in the fresh water tank, even the weight of the awnings might need to be added if installed by the dealer, Add the weight of your, clothes, dishes, toys, food, cosmetics etc and you will definitely be above 14000 pounds, that will put at least 2800 lbs of weight on the truck. This has to be subtracted from your max payload leaving you about 400 lbs of capacity. Your weight, spouses weight, anything you put in and on the truck must be included in the 400 lbs. Do not forget the tools and maybe a grill or generator.
Do not listen to the dealer trying to sell you the rig. He wants to feed his family he does not care about your happiness or safety

Will it "tow" it, yes, but you'd be better off with 3500 SRW minimum...

Forget it! Your UVW and hitch weight are meaningless as nobody tows an empty trailer as shipped from the factory. Your loaded hitch weight will be at least 20% of the GVWR or 3,000# so the truck is overloaded before you add the wife, dog, groceries and the beer. That trailer needs a 3500 dually under it for safetys sake. I towed a 14,000# shop trailer behind a 3500 srw in a previous life (not by choice). It was not a fun experience.
Roy is on the money maybe not a dually as the 2020 duramax 3500 can come with some hearty payload number if optioned correctly but you need to look at each trucks payload decal as they are all different

Thank you for the replies!! I live in a major metro area so a dully is out of the question for me. I'll need to find a new 3500 SRW config or find a different 4 season 5th wheel. Thanks again!

Im confused "i live in a major metro area so a dually is out of the question" what does that have do with anything? My dually is a six wheel sports car and Calgary is 2 million people ive driven it in Chicago Detroit Toronto all pulling a 47 ft 5er during rush hour and the last 499 laps of the Indy 500. A dually is no different than any other truck once your used to it

Attachments

• 20210814_151418.jpg
    20210814_151418.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 2
Im confused "i live in a major metro area so a dually is out of the question" what does that have do with anything? My dually is a six wheel sports car and Calgary is 2 million people ive driven it in Chicago Detroit Toronto all pulling a 47 ft 5er during rush hour and the last 499 laps of the Indy 500. A dually is no different than any other truck once your used to it

Let's get the whole quote in there " I live in a major metro area so a dully is out of the question for me" . I have EVERY right to my preference and know MY circumstances way better than you.

I get the dually issue. I recently moved out of the metro Boston area and bought a SRW Ram 3500 as parking a dually in town was a non starter FOR ME.

I have a GD 337rls and fully loaded is right up there at 14000 GVWR at maxing out my 3550 payload given the stuff I carry in the truck & trailer.

I have good numbers having weighed the rig 5 times since April.
I weigh it every time I am near a CAT scale as I am still fine tuning what I have in the trailer, and what is in the truck. I am also shifting things in the trailer & basement and seeing the effect at the scales. The good thing is the trailer weight on the axels is good and I am not over on the truck. I dont like that the truck squats 2.5” when loaded as that screws up the headlights.

Getting back to the OP…
The trailer you are proposing is likely over the capability of any 2500.

As said above, look at the yellow bordered stickers of real trucks to see the payloads. Low trim standard cabs have the most. High trim, crew cabs have much less.

True story… At a campground back in April, I was surprised when a crew cab SRW 3500 parked a GD Solitude (much heavier than my Reflection) nearby. I had convinced myself that his trailer had to be dually land.
I went over to chat and discovered a few enlightening things.
He had a long bed 2 wheel drive in a trim level down a few from me and 1000 lbs more payload. 4x4 costs weight and reduces payload. I know that and choose 4x4 for other reasons and suffer the consequences.

Last edited:
Let's get the whole quote in there " I live in a major metro area so a dully is out of the question for me" . I have EVERY right to my preference and know MY circumstances way better than you.
Lol 😆 "never owned an rv of any sort"... will a 2500 work? But i know everything ever owned a dully? Ever driven a dually? Ever towed with a DUALLY? Dont knock it till you've done it! Ive owned 10+ trucks this is my 4th DUALLY Once your used to it you can put it anywhere. A DUALLY is the same width as that Grand Design 5er if you cant maneuver a DUALLY how you expect to maneuver the 5er? Are you going to avoid every major metro center? There are very few 3500 series srw trucks that can handle a 18000lbs 5er and those trucks that can are base model 2×4 trucks not your average Chevy Ltz with a payload capacity of 4000lbs when your trailer has a pin weight of 4500lbs (25% of 18000)

Last edited:
Just remember this. A trucks widest part is across the mirrors, regardless of configuration.

Lol 😆 "never owned an rv of any sort"... will a 2500 work? But i know everything ever owned a dully? Ever driven a dually? Ever towed with a DUALLY? Dont knock it till you've done it! Ive owned 10+ trucks this is my 4th DUALLY Once your used to it you can put it anywhere. A DUALLY is the same width as that Grand Design 5er if you cant maneuver a DUALLY how you expect to maneuver the 5er? Are you going to avoid every major metro center? There are very few 3500 series srw trucks that can handle a 18000lbs 5er and those trucks that can are base model 2×4 trucks not your average Chevy Ltz with a payload capacity of 4000lbs when your trailer has a pin weight of 4500lbs (25% of 18000)

Dude - shut **** [moderator edit] up! I don't want to drive a dully every day. If it floats your boat - fine. It won't fit in my garage with my other vehicles. I don't want to leave it out in the driveway and do the 4 car shuffle because its always in the way. It's MY preference. I also think they are the ugliest truck on the road. Again - MY preference. I asked specific questions about a vehicle and trailer weight numbers not to hear your **** about why you think I need to try a dully because you love them. ******** [Another Mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess you need a lighter 5th wheel. My Ram 3500 Cummins has a payload of 3550. With all I carry in the truck, my 14000 lb (actually 13990 lb GVWR) trailer is as heavy as I can go.
Bottom line… check payload of any truck you are considering and make sure that 20-25% of the trailers GVWR will be carried comfortably and safely.

Oh, no need for profanity. If you don’t like someone’s advice, just ignore it.

I would upgrade to a 3500 since you are upgrading anyway as the 2500 is a little light in the pants, but here is the reality of the situation: This link is to a test done on the Ike Gauntlet between a 2020 2500 HD and a 3500 DRW Cummins. These were pulling 16,000 over one the the highest roads in the US and conducted by experts that test more trucks per year than most of the weight rangers on forums own in a lifetime. There are a lot of other tests by these same guys on the Gauntlet for your viewing pleasure that will show you how modern trucks perform in the real world. 2020 chev vs dodge ike gauntlet - Bing video

Dude - shut **** [moderator edit] up! I don't want to drive a dully every day. If it floats your boat - fine. It won't fit in my garage with my other vehicles. I don't want to leave it out in the driveway and do the 4 car shuffle because its always in the way. It's MY preference. I also think they are the ugliest truck on the road. Again - MY preference. I asked specific questions about a vehicle and trailer weight numbers not to hear your **** about why you think I need to try a dully because you love them. ******** [Another Mod edit]
Im really surprised the moderators did not totally close your post. We dont need rude. You asked a question which you already knew the answer. But wanted everybody agree with you. We in good conscience cant BTW. So take your foul mouth to another forum.

Im really surprised the moderators did not totally close your post. We dont need rude. You asked a question which you already knew the answer. But wanted everybody agree with you. We in good conscience cant BTW. So take your foul mouth to another forum.
It was edited by a staffer before he was banned.

Back
Top Bottom