Chevy Cruze on Tow Dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustygig

We purchased a new 2011 Chevy Cruze on July 31, 2011. One of the main reasons we bought it was it can be towed behind our motor home, 4 wheels down. We double checked this with the salesman and the user manual that came with the car.

I read on one of the forums that GM was now saying you could not tow 4 wheels down.

I called GM customer service. He told us that a letter was going out to customers stating the car could only be towed with the rear wheels on the ground and the front wheels up on a dolly. He agreed to reimburse us for a dolly up to $1500.

We purchased the dolly and submitted our paper work to GM. Our reimbursement check was delivered within a week.

Because the car is so low to the ground, we also had to purchase ramps for the tow dolly for $50.

A new problem. Most states require you have a safety chain attached from the car to the trailer. The Cruze has nowhere to connect a chain. I took it to our Chevy dealer and had the mechanic look at it. They said we shouldn't attach a chain anywhere on the car because of the computerized components under the car. They had no suggestions.

He also printed out a page that says the Malibu can not be towed 4 wheels down.

This is so frustrating! Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes.!! I had a 2011 Cruze LT and lost the transmission while towing. A letter came, saying it was not towable and wanted to give me a dolly. I now have a 2012 Malibu LT, even trade. The 2012 Malibu and earlier is supposed to be towable the 2013 is not. If you accepted the dolly they probably consider your case closed.

How did they ship the Cruze to the dealer?  Usually they use chains to tie down vehicles on the hauler, there has to be some place suitable for a safety chain..

It also appears you can get a bolt on trailer hitch, that means there's mounting positions towards the rear..  perhaps you can run a safety chain from there..  not optimal I'm sure but what can ya do.

Back
Top Bottom