Chevy P30 front wheel bearing seal question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

Dan23

About three weeks ago, I posted about replacing a front caliper but still needing the ABS sensor, which I now have and am currently replacing.

The Question: When I took the wheel hub and rotor off, followed by clean up and removal of the grease seal, I found the seal torn, so off the NAPA I went where the seal kit was in stock. The kit consisted of a special plate that is pressed into the hub and a synthetic rubber seal that fits the axle stub. The problem is that when I removed the hub there were TWO of the rubber seals. Is that correct or did someone mistakenly put an extra rubber seal in at some point in the past?

One rubber seal or two?

Anyone know where I can look to find out?

Thanks for any help.

I've come back this morning to check for replies as I'm about to go outside to complete my work. Not surprisingly, my question left others scratching their head just as it did me. But I've pretty much figured out that one seal, not two is correct. A previous owner or "mechanic" must have missed that there was a seal installed and put another in place. Maybe they didn't wipe off all the bearing grease?

What confused me is twofold:
1. The the seals are different than any I've seen; there is no metal in them anywhere.
2. One application I've seen on marine output shafts uses two seals back to back-- one to keep water out, another to keep the lube in. That would not apply here.

Not getting a reply here is also telling. Odds things are recalled and someone would have pointed it out to me.

Thanks. (If there are no further replies from me and you happen across this thread in a search, you will know that my current thinking is correct.)

Back
Top Bottom