Chief joseph Hwy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi All,

Tim and I are in Montana camped at the "hawlin' moon rv park" near 3 dollar bridge along the Madison River.  We are thinking of going into Yellowstone and staying in a campground near the north east corner by Cooke City.  Our son is suggesting we drive out of the park through Cooke City and down Chief Joseph Highway into Cody instead of going back through the park and going out the south east entrance.  I know we should not take the motor home over Beartooth highway; but how is Chief Joseph for a 35 foot with toad.

BTW, our grandaughter is a bundle of fun!!!

Marsha~

Sam & I have just discussed taking a motorhome from Cooke City over highway 212 to highway 296, Chief Joseph highway, to Cody and it would be a beautiful drive.  We have never done this in a motorhome but have traveled by car and neither of us can recall anything that would make it too difficult.  Just take it easy.  Now if you can leave the MH off in say Cooke City and take the toad over to Red Lodge for lunch that would be an excellent side trip.

There is a cafe in Cooke City on the south side of the road that serves excellent sour cream & Apple pie.

Thanks Ron,

I just can't find any where on any Wyoming road web sites or anyplace else that says "don't take a motor home on the Chief Joseph Highway".    There are warnings re Beartooth, however. 

I bet the Chief Joseph is steep, but we are like you guys and think we will be ok.  I'll let you know.  Also, we'll look for the cafe in Cooke City.  We were there years ago; but I don't remember a cafe.

Thanks for the info.

Marsha

Hi Marsha,

We have driven the Chief Joseph highway in a car with Ron & Sam. Don't remember anything that was difficult though it is a rural road in a way. Bear Tooth is another story! :)

Jim

What Jim and Ron said.

Is the Beartooth open?  It wasn't last year when I went.

Beartooth highway was closed last year due to mudslides, but it's apparently open this year according to this.

Howdy, Marsha.
We are in Cody, WY and are planning to drive up the Chief Joseph Hwy to Red Lodge, tomorrow. We are NOT taking the Wanderlodge but will travel in the Jeep.

Regards,
Liz

Jack & Liz,

there are some excellent restaurants in Red Lodge.  We particularly like the one in the old hotel but there is another one just up the street too.  Combination restaurant and wine shop etc.

Enjoy the drive and take a lot of pictures!

Jack & Liz:

Where are you in Cody?  We are at KOA.  Will be heading out tomorrow.

Ron, don't forget we due at your place on Monday.  In addition to updating the sat modem, I plan to buy some DWG and borrow your ladder.  ;D  Sky wants to know if the apples are in yet?

Smoky,

PMFJI

>>Sky wants to know if the apples are in yet?<<

Lots of green ones here in Belgrade, apples start in late August here but the pie cherries and raspberries are nice and ripe!!! VBG

Sky may be a little disappointed as there are not near as many apples as last year but there are a few on the ground.  Sky can keep them cleaned up for us.  I'm sure he will enjoy that.  We are expecting you as well as Jack and Liz but as you know we have plenty of room.  Looking forward to seeing you Monday.

Smoky said:
Jack & Liz:

Where are you in Cody?  We are at KOA.  Will be heading out tomorrow.

We are in the Absaroka Bay RV Park, right up the road from you, past the airport. We WERE at KOA but left because they gave us a 30 amp site. Even though I requested a 50 amp site, the reservation was screwed up. We are the only Blue Bird in this park. We are leaving here on Monday.

What route are you taking to get to Montana? 

Regards,
Liz

If we were traveling here from Cody we would take Highway 120 North out of Cody (same road you took to get to Chief Joseph) which turns to highway 72 when you cross into Montana as I recall then connect to highway 310 South of Bridger, Mt, connects to to highway 212 then to I 90 to East Billings then to highway 87 North out of Billings to Grass Range then west to Lewistown.

The other way would be to go through Powell Wyo to Deaver then North you end up meeting the other route south of Bridger. Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Sam's Camp.

Wow Liz, what a small world!

The route we are planning to take is very straightforward.    We plan to take 14 out of town, then north on Wy 120.  It becomes MT 72 after we cross the line, and we then plan to turn onto route 310 taking that to I-90 near Billings.  Somewhere around there is a flying J where we will fill up.  Then we will work our way to US 87 to Lewistown.

But we are open to suggestions if there is a better route.

Without looking at the map, there is a EX-Flying J in Hardin, Broadway Truckstop, and a Flying J in Billings.

have a good trip north and bring some cool weather with you!  VBG

Liz, Jack & Smokey,

We are in Cameron west of West Yellowstone at a very nice Passport America campground.  They offer the cut rates for 7 days which worked out real well for us.  Our plans are to be going through Yellowstone on Monday on our way to Absoarka RV park, that is if we can get in.  We don't have cell service at the moment so can't call to see if they are busy/full.  If they are full then we'll stay at the Yellowstone Valley Inn  It's a passport america park just west of Cody or just keep going until we find something. 

We've had a ball this week with our son, daughter in law and granddaughter.  Fished the Madison and have caught pretty good fish every time we've gone out. 

Have fun at Sam's camp.  We were gonna try to squeeze in a trip up that way; but need to head on toward Indiana.

If you see a brown/sandstone Allegro Bus towing a new Hyundai Tucson with paper plates still on it saying "Carlsbad"  Honk!!!

Marsha~

The Billings Flying J is at exit 455 and according to their web site fuel is $2.89.  The Hardin Flying J is at Exit 495.  From the Billings Flying J you come West again one exit to get on highway 87 to Lewistown.  See you folks here at Sam's Camp.

Billings is where we will stop.  Got delayed by a day.  We are in a gray/black/silver Newmar Kountry Star pusher pulling a red tauruas Ford wagon... hard to miss.  Honk if you see uss too!  Look for us late in the day Ron.  We will gladly take whatever space is left over.  I am READY to update this DW6000!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom