child hurt falling off ladder of moving RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhmahoney

As a diesel pusher was pulling out of a site, the 12 yr old gandson was on the ladder and fell/jumped off, bouncing off the tow car hood onto the ground. Towcar rt front wheel ran over left heel.

The RV stopped because a neighbor alerted the driver to the elevated TV antenna. Then they could see kid on ground and had to back up to get car off the foot.

Why the kid was not on RV went unexplained. He had heel fracture and gravel in the knee lacerations.

Much discussion in CG later, but no further details forthcoming.

rhmahoney said:
As a diesel pusher was pulling out of a site, the 12 yr old gandson was on the ladder and fell/jumped off, bouncing off the tow car hood onto the ground. Towcar rt front wheel ran over left heel.
The RV stopped because a neighbor alerted the driver to the elevated TV antenna. Then they could see kid on ground and had to back up to get car off the foot.Why the kid was not on RV went unexplained. He had heel fracture and gravel in the knee lacerations.Much discussion in CG later, but no further details forthcoming.

Boy this speaks to having a "before we leave" checklist doesn't it?  Someone is in big trouble I suspect and maybe a couple of someones !

Betty Brewer

There are frequently funny accounts of children "left behind" while traveling and I frankly am dubious about the accountability of the adults in charge. Years ago...almost 75 in fact....I was left to wander the length of the "Flying Scot" train when it made a tour of the USA. The crowd thinned out and I was still aboard when it left the station. Some 100 miles down the line, on it's way to Chicago, my parents picked me up. I've never had a grin on MY face when I hear these stories.

rhmahoney said:

The RV stopped because a neighbor alerted the driver to the elevated TV antenna. Then they could see kid on ground and had to back up to get car off the foot.

Why the kid was not on RV went unexplained. He had heel fracture and gravel in the knee lacerations.

Much discussion in CG later, but no further details forthcoming.

It appears to me that IF the authorities do their job there is a lot of explaining to be done. Obviously they are not believers in performing much of a check before departure.  Actually they are very lucky the kid was not killed.  Scary ::)

In 2003 on our Alaska trip we stayed at the Fairbanks River?s Edge RV Park.  There was soccer tournament going on in town and the park was full of families with LOTS of kids.  Our second night they?re all H broke loss.  10-14 year old kids were playing tag and having water balloon fights.  We were setting outside at our site and kids were cutting through.  Running between our table and our grill several times.  Also there were 4-6 girls on the roof of a class A having a 'party' and using it for a play area.  We finally got tired of it and had to ask kids 2-3 times before they got the message we did not want them cutting through our site.  Well come about 7pm and like magic all of them disappeared from the grounds and the RV roof.  About 5 minutes later several cars full of moms pulled in from (I assume) from shopping in Fairbanks, and the rest of the evening was very quite.  Lucky one of those girls did not fall of that roof.  I am sure the mothers never knew of the goings on.

Back
Top Bottom