Chinook RV Stop Valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suehoo

As a brand new RVer, I had my vehicle winterized last fall.  This afternoon, I dewinterized it (proud of myself!!), but have one slight problem.  After all the flushing and holding tank set up, I see that the fresh water tank, which I filled up, is dribbling from the bottom of the unit.  From the directions, I see that there are two stop valves in an incredibly hard to reach place behind the driver's chair and slightly under the sofabed.  My guess is that one or both of these need to be turned off, but DUH, I can't seem to figure out which way is off (I've tried both ways and it still seems to be coming out of an open drain tube in the center of the chassis.  There are two other white flip valves accessed under the sofa and i'm not sure which way these are supposed to be either.  Anyone out there able to help?  Thanks in advance from the mechanically challenged.  Grin.

suehoo:

Perhaps someone with Chinook experience will chime in here but if not there usually a diagram of the water system in the owner's manual. If you don't find it there I would call Chinook, they will have someone who can help you.

If I overfill my fresh water tank it will drip out the overflow tube until we use a little water. Does this stop over time?

Thanks, Jeff.  There is a diagram but I'm not sure whether the position of the stop valves is on or off and it doesn't say.  I was hoping it was draining off an overage, but the monitor went from full to 3/4 full while it continued to drain.  I'll check to see if I can call someone tomorrow.  Enjoy those grandkids!

suehoo,

On many coaches and trailers, there is a small, almost inconspicuous valve near the very bottom of the water tank, with a tube running down from it to the outside, or maybe inline with the water supply line from the tank to the inside. It is there to allow complete draining of the water tank for winterizing. On mine, it is not a regular valve that you turn or flip, but the center section is held in place with a small wire spring clip. Removal of the spring clip lets you pull out the center section of the valve which lets the water drain out. See if you can locate that valve, and replace the center section if it has been removed. Let us know if that was the problem :) 

suehoo said:
As a brand new RVer, I had my vehicle winterized last fall.  This afternoon, I dewinterized it (proud of myself!!), but have one slight problem.  After all the flushing and holding tank set up, I see that the fresh water tank, which I filled up, is dribbling from the bottom of the unit.  From the directions, I see that there are two stop valves in an incredibly hard to reach place behind the driver's chair and slightly under the sofabed.  My guess is that one or both of these need to be turned off, but DUH, I can't seem to figure out which way is off (I've tried both ways and it still seems to be coming out of an open drain tube in the center of the chassis.  There are two other white flip valves accessed under the sofa and i'm not sure which way these are supposed to be either.  Anyone out there able to help?  Thanks in advance from the mechanically challenged.  Grin.

Suehoo,

Those two white valves under the sofa are probably the low point drains. They would have been closed if you antifreeze in the system. The drain for the fresh water tank is often near the tank and goes through the floor. We used to have Chinook motorhomes but no longer carry them. I'll see if I can find out any more information. There might be one in for repair right now.

The two behind the driver seat are the hot water heater drains.

The other two are the ones you want.

The one farthest from the water pump is the drain for the fresh water and the closest allows fresh water to go to the water pump.

Sometimes these are quarter turn "Gate" type valves.  Now the valve may turn around, and around and around.

Usually these valves will have oval shaped knobs, and again USUALLY, they are installed so that if the long axis of the oval is parrallel to the inlet/outlet line, VALVE OPEN, short axis (Handel turned so it's ACROSS the vavle) is off.

Think of the long axis of the ovil as a gate, if it's across the pipe, no flow

If you can see the pipes connected to the valves I can help further... My rig has a nunber of such valves scattered about.  Two of them are in line with each other.

Water tank-----valve----T-----Valve----drain

The "T" between the valves is a "T" fitting, that connects to the water pump inlet

Thanks to all for your help.  I thought I had the problem solved, but may have an issue with one of the stop valves being broken, so will check with a dealer.  You all are so helpful and I really appreciate your time and concern!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom