Chlorine and Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmcfly

I just bought a trailer and I was watching a RV show on cable the other day. I'm a bit confused on what they told me to do. Before you go out to use the trailer they said to sanitise the water by puting in 1/4 cup of chloine per 15 gallons of water and the open the hot water valve untill you smell chlorine and open up all faucets till you smell them. My question is I can understand doing that because while you are driving the water will splash around the tank and clean the pipes while opening them up. How can you use that water with that smell of chlorine in it or drink it. They never said to drain it before use.  My inlaws do that but drain in before use and then refill it.  Which way is right?  thanks  :-\

Sounds like someone forget to tell you to drain and refill the tank after sanitizing. Here's a fresh water system sanitizing procedure written by staffer Gray Brinck.

BTW many of us also add chlorine/bleach to each water fill to "maintain" the system in a sanitized state.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

Do as they say (Get super clorinated water in all the pipes) and let it sit for a while, then drain and refill, with clear (or better yet filtered) water.  Run water till the clorene smell goes away (note how long) drain and refill again,  Again run the fauctes for a few minutes,  Then drain and refill AGAIN, this time with filtered water.... Should be safe to drink now

I usually drain and super chlorinate our tank once per year.  This year traveling out of the States and with so many warnings in Canada about water we have been very selective about where we fill our tank from.  The chlorination is to kill latent bacteria (typically a form of e-coli) that is picked up from untested water supplies.  I use a heavy dose direct into tank and let the pump pull into all the piping and set for awhile.  The super solution knocks out most of the bacteria.  When pumping thru system I avoid the carbon filter which diminishes the effect of the chlorine.  After all is chlorinated it usually takes a few complete fillings of unchlorinated water /draining of the tank to knock out the chlorine taste.  Although safe enough to drink at that point some residual odor remains for a few more fillups.

Tim Lassen said:
I usually drain and super chlorinate our tank once per year.  This year traveling out of the States and with so many warnings in Canada about water we have been very selective about where we fill our tank from.  The chlorination is to kill latent bacteria (typically a form of e-coli) that is picked up from untested water supplies.  I use a heavy dose direct into tank and let the pump pull into all the piping and set for awhile.  The super solution knocks out most of the bacteria.  When pumping thru system I avoid the carbon filter which diminishes the effect of the chlorine.  After all is chlorinated it usually takes a few complete fillings of unchlorinated water /draining of the tank to knock out the chlorine taste.  Although safe enough to drink at that point some residual odor remains for a few more fillups.

Tim:

If you refill the tank with a mixture of 1/2 cup baking soda per 30 gals water and flush through all pipes and hot water heater it will remove the bleach taste.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom