Choosing Airbag capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I am considering an airbag kit.

They have a 5000lb and a 7500lb kit. I don’t know how to choose between them.

The 5000 sure seems to have enough capacity but in general I like more is better. Not much cost difference.

Help me understand the downside of the higher capacity one?

Thanks

For the truck suspension? And as an add-on (assist) rather than replacing the leaf springs? If so, it seems unlikely that you can utilize more than a 1000-2000 lbs of additional lift on your 3500SRW. Your load capacity is still limited by the tire and axle capacity, no matter how much air assist you have.

What are you expecting to achieve with the air assist? Is the rear and sagging when the trailer is attached? Porpoising or other handling problem?

As Gary says adding bags does nothing to change the legality of the truck. But looking at your profile pic you have a decent squat going on.
There really is no difference between the 2 bags other than one is slightly thicker rubber. And will give a slightly harsher ride when not loaded. Just remember to always keep 10lbs of air in them.

Im a little suprised you have that much squat the Ram 3500 is generally stiffly sprung. I would consider changing your shocks to something adjustable before doing anything else it may save you some hassles
Cheers

Just for leveling. I have talked to several SRW truck owners here at this campground that have heavier trailers than mine and most said airbags leveled their truck.

I agree that I expect to utilize much less than even the 5000 models (all the brands seem to have the same 5000/7500 variants). I want to make sure that I don’t miss a good reason to get the 7500 model. Last longer? I dunno.

As Gary says adding bags does nothing to change the legality of the truck. But looking at your profile pic you have a decent squat going on.
There really is no difference between the 2 bags other than one is slightly thicker rubber. And will give a slightly harsher ride when not loaded. Just remember to always keep 10lbs of air in them.

Im a little suprised you have that much squat the Ram 3500 is generally stiffly sprung. I would consider changing your shocks to something adjustable before doing anything else it may save you some hassles
Cheers
Thanks.
The shocks are original (108000 miles - dealers kept telling me they were fine ?) so they are getting replaced at the same time. Any suggestions for shocks? I am thinking Bilstein.

I think I will opt for the Bluetooth controlled compressor.

Bilstien makes a great shock, the bags i have had both with and without the bluetooth. I prefer the gauges because in 2 trucks i have had the bags deflate without my knowledge, with the gauge you can physically see the pressure.
This truck i have 55000 miles on and will swap out the rear shocks next year and go Bilstien or Rancho RS9000 series only because the truck came with the ranchos but not adjustable just crappy stock ones

I had 7500's on a 2002 Duramax and my brother-in-law has 5000's on his 2020 Duramax. Even though he is pulling much heavier than me, there doesn't seem to be a difference in what they do. The 5000's are rated for 5,000# and I doubt you would ever put that much weight in the rear of a SRW 1 ton pickup.

At what pressure do each set of airbags carry a given load? Do the 7500 lb bags just inflate 50% higher than the 5000 lb bags to carry the extra weight or do they carry 50% more weight at a given pressure? If there is a difference in pressure to carry a given load, say 4000 lbs, the one that requires lower pressure will give a smoother ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom