Chris' Scotch eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Here's a long-time favorite of mine which can be eaten as a snack or served as an appetizer.

• Hard boil some eggs (Chris usually does a dozen or more at a time).
  • Shell the eggs and cover in sausage meat (aka Jimmy Dean).
  • Dip the meat-covered eggs in a beaten raw egg.
  • Sprinkle liberally with breadcrumbs.
  • Deep fry until the sausage meat is cooked.
  • Don't like deep fry? Pre-heat an oven to 375o and bake for approx 30 minutes (until the sausage meat is cooked).
  • Slice into segments and serve hot or cold with mustard as a dip.

Enjoy!

BTW if we're not having guests, we (I) dispense with the slicing into segments and eat them whole.

One caveat - Chris rarely follows a recipe and cooks by instinct. So it was like pulling teeth to get this out of her.

Another caveat - please do not call them "Scottish eggs".

Tom,

Long time favorite of mine but seldom served around here anymore.  However I could be easily coerced if they were available!!  Sure good with a good beer!  VBG

Jim

James Godward said:
Sure good with a good beer!

That's definitely one popular accompanyment to Scotch eggs Jim  ;D

Tom:? Scotch eggs is the most interesting new recipe I've read in a long time.

I just reread the instructions and think I now get step 2.? ?When you say "cover the eggs in sausage meat," you mean each whole egg??

I wonder if another substitute for deep frying would be just pan frying, rather than baking.? Maybe in a little oil to keep the bread crumbs in place.? Have you had the baked version?? Just as good?? Sure would be easier than the deep fryer cleanup.

Do you use boxed bread crumbs?  Ever tried cracker crumbs?

Why do you slice them for company?? My immediate thought was biting into the thing whole.

Why "Scotch" instead of "Scottish?"?

--pat

Pat said:
When you say "cover the eggs in sausage meat," you mean each whole egg?

Yes, sorry, I should have made that clear. Chris essentially wraps each egg in sausage meat.

I also should have clarified what I meant by "deep frying". Chris uses a large saucepan full of oil. It's the same as Brits use to cook "chips" aka french fries.

Have you had the baked version?

I don't believe I've tried the baked version, although Chris has served them to guests. She did say that the deep fried ones taste better. One caveat Chris had with baking is that they tend to crack open.

Why do you slice them for company?

If you have a lot of company, serving whole would mean a lot of Scotch eggs. Also, it's a little more petite to dip a slice into a container of mustard than dip the whole egg. If you dip the corner of the egg, take a bite, then take another dip, it probably wouldn't be looked on favorably by other guests - kinda like taking a second dip in the avocado with the same potato  chip.

My immediate thought was biting into the thing whole.

I'm not sure I'd want to try one that someone else had already bitten into.

Why "Scotch" instead of "Scottish?"

Same reason as single malt whisky isn't called "Scottish". Presumably also the same reason 3M didn't call their adhesive tape "Scottish tape".

It's a good thing I don't have guests, because my eggs would be whole and fun.  I think I would try to fry them in a little oil.  You didn't mention the breadcrumbs question.  That's correct?  You use breadcrumbs and not cracker crumbs?

Whenever people ask whether "Scotch" or "Scottish" is correct, the easiest way to tell the difference is that you drink "Scotch."  3M just got it wrong.

Another thing.  Do you usually coat and cook the hard boiled eggs while they're still warm?  It would seem more effective than refrigerating them first and starting out with cold eggs. 

Really creative recipe.

--pat

Pat

The beaten raw egg keeps the breadcrumbs in place, no need for oil.

I have no idea what kind of breadcrumbs Chris uses; I'll ask her when she's done swimming in the bay.

Pat said:
You use breadcrumbs and not cracker crumbs?

Breadcrumbs it is Pat. I don't have a clue what cracker crumbs are.

Tom:  Cracker crumbs are saltines smashed to crumbs with a rolling pin, or they can now be bought in cans.  I imagine breadcrumbs can also be bought in cans.

--pat

Tom said:
Here's a long-time favorite of mine which can be eaten as a snack or served as an appetizer.
Another caveat - please do not call them "Scottish eggs".

Tom, Shouldn't that be "Scots Eggs" like we Scotsmen are Scotsmen, not "Scotchmen?"

Unless, of course, a bit of Scotch is added to the recipe.<BG>

Pat

Call them what you will Pat. But, if you want Chris to provide some at a rally, you'd best call them by their correct name  ;D

Patrickh60 said:
Tom, Shouldn't that be "Scots Eggs" like we Scotsmen are Scotsmen, not "Scotchmen?"

My Scottish Grandmother called them scotch eggs.

Phil

I didn't think Scotsmen laid eggs, other than in the figurative sense :)

Tom:  There's hope that Chris will make some Scotch eggs for the rally? 

--pat

Pat

Only if they're called by their correct name  ;D

Back
Top Bottom