City Water Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngranneman

So I notice if I initially don't quite have my city water connection tight then will have a small amount of water trickle through the back end on the inside of the camper at the arrow place. Doesn't seem to be the connection itself but more where the city water unit pops and holds into the plastic housing. I can't find exact information online on how all of this is constructed so didn't know if 1) there some type of seal I need to replace or 2) Just caulk around the area

Attachments

• city water connection.jpg
    city water connection.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 62
Don't quite understand what you're asking.  If it's where the hose threads into the fitting of the RV, there is a washer there with a built in screen that needs to be replaced. They're available at any hardware store. You need the washer with the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-160-85-Polar-Flange/dp/B000BGHSNK/ref=asc_df_B000BGHSNK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312035432333&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16699666095278995659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012954&hvtargid=aud-643191255296:pla-451022790423&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Danco-80070-Washers-Screen-Black/dp/B000KKULR2/ref=asc_df_B000KKULR2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167153227674&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6315005416873835035&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012954&hvtargid=aud-643191255296:pla-274916630309&psc=1

Other than that, you'd have to get to the backside of the wall and see if the water pipe which screws onto the back side of the fitting is leaking. If it is, you'll need to unscrew the nut on the pipe and replace the rubber washer inside the nut.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/1-2p-cone-washer?variant=35122977665&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJbUirLf4QIVhYbACh3nVQMcEAQYBCABEgK8m_D_BwE

The picutre is the back-side of the water connection. It isn't leaking from what appears to be the main water connection but if main hose night fully tight and it sprays some water on the outside if will drip from the outside of the connection and seems to trail in there the whole city water unit comes into the main plastic housing and clicks in I assume.

Rene T said:
Don't quite understand what you're asking.  If it's where the hose threads into the fitting of the RV, there is a washer there with a built in screen that needs to be replaced. They're available at any hardware store. You need the washer with the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-160-85-Polar-Flange/dp/B000BGHSNK/ref=asc_df_B000BGHSNK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312035432333&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16699666095278995659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012954&hvtargid=aud-643191255296:pla-451022790423&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Danco-80070-Washers-Screen-Black/dp/B000KKULR2/ref=asc_df_B000KKULR2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167153227674&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6315005416873835035&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012954&hvtargid=aud-643191255296:pla-274916630309&psc=1

Other than that, you'd have to get to the backside of the wall and see if the water pipe which screws onto the back side of the fitting is leaking. If it is, you'll need to unscrew the nut on the pipe and replace the rubber washer inside the nut.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/1-2p-cone-washer?variant=35122977665&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJbUirLf4QIVhYbACh3nVQMcEAQYBCABEgK8m_D_BwE

The inlet may be cracked, just replace it.  The risk of water damage is too great to take a chance.

Oh, I see it now. If it's the nut that's leaking, you have to change that cone shaped washer. If you unscrew the nut and look inside the nut, you'll see the washer.  Remove the existing washer, and you'll find it won't look at all like the cone shape washer I listed. That's because the old one took a set. Did you try tightening it a little?  Do not use wrenches or else you could split the nut. Only use your hands.

ngranneman said:
So I notice if I initially don't quite have my city water connection tight then will have a small amount of water trickle through the back end on the inside of the camper at the arrow place. Doesn't seem to be the connection itself but more where the city water unit pops and holds into the plastic housing. I can't find exact information online on how all of this is constructed so didn't know if 1) there some type of seal I need to replace or 2) Just caulk around the area
Just tighten it, (a water leak is normal when a connection isn't sufficiently tight).

Start by hand-tightening that white plastic nut. If that doesn't do it, take it off and look at the inside per Rene's description. If that still doesn't work, replace the city inlet per lynmors suggestion. They are available wherever RV parts are sold (including Amazon & Ebay) and not expensive.

If this "leak" only occurs when the shore hose is not tight, then just tighten the hose.  It may be that spray from the loose connection runs across something and down onto the pipe, into the camper, then drips at the low point - the white nut.

To fix this, identify where it is leaking through the wall and caulk, probably around the hose fitting, or just replace the entire hose connection.

Sorry for late replay. I must be phrasing this wrong but the main connections, ie the water attachement in the front of the RV and the back aren't leaking, it is more around where the city water hose connection "clicks in" or at least appears to click in to the plastic housing that is screwed into the RV side wall. I don't know if this is normal or if there should be some type of seal. Thinking of just caulking around it and suspect that should stop it but don't know if there is some other seal I am not seeing around this.

ngranneman said:
Sorry for late replay. I must be phrasing this wrong but the main connections, ie the water attachement in the front of the RV and the back aren't leaking, it is more around where the city water hose connection "clicks in" or at least appears to click in to the plastic housing that is screwed into the RV side wall. I don't know if this is normal or if there should be some type of seal. Thinking of just caulking around it and suspect that should stop it but don't know if there is some other seal I am not seeing around this.

Don't know what you mean by "clicks in". Do you have quick disconnect hose fittings?  Can you post a picture?

If you look at the initial picture the arrow isn't pointing to the hose or male receiving end of the city water connection but what the water connections appears to "click into" on the main plastic housing. It has I think 6-8 of these ares that appear to hold the connection into place that remind me of a similar thing as baby toys that once you snap them in they stay put unless you pry the area up to slide it back out. That being said, I can't find similar installation type things when I google water connection points so not for sure how it is completely removed

I think I know what you mean. You have to compress each of the fingers working your way around until they're all compressed then the fitting will pop out. If that's the case, why not just remove it and install the type I linked to above.

Here are new pictures with closer up on backside and one on the outside. I circles area similar to where it will have small water trickle but it is at the 6 oclock position, not the 9 o clock position. May try caulking first but if do remove it, what is the best way to get water city adapter disconnected from this click-in/lock-in type of design?

Rene T said:
I think I know what you mean. You have to compress each of the fingers working your way around until they're all compressed then the fitting will pop out. If that's the case, why not just remove it and install the type I linked to above.

Attachments

• inside connection.gif
    inside connection.gif
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
  • outside connection.gif
    outside connection.gif
    103.2 KB · Views: 15
You would have to compress one finger at a time and gradually work your way around the entire fitting. It may be good to have a second person on the outside to keep a strain pulling on it while you do the compressing.

Have you tried to stop the leak by replacing the rubber gasket which seals the end of the hose to the fitting?  That may be all you need to do. If that doesn't do it, the fitting may be cracked.

So when get hose completely tight on it doesn't leak, but if it gets loosens at all water will pool at bottom of connection and then tracks through that area I was describing. Don't know if this is a normal function if not completely hose not completely tighten on and think the caulk could probably be an easy fix. 

Rene T said:
You would have to compress one finger at a time and gradually work your way around the entire fitting. It may be good to have a second person on the outside to keep a strain pulling on it while you do the compressing.

Have you tried to stop the leak by replacing the rubber gasket which seals the end of the hose to the fitting?  That may be all you need to do. If that doesn't do it, the fitting may be cracked.

I'm still having trouble understanding what you're trying to say and I apologise for that. If you think the caulking will work, then go for it.

If the threaded nut is OK initially but loosens enough to leak, try plumbers pipe joint compound (aka pipe dope) on the threads before tightening it.  It is a better sealer than teflon tape and is slightly adhesive, so helps resist loosening as a result of vibration.

The other possibility is that the white plastic nut has a slight crack, allowing it to ease a bit under pressure. In that case, replacing the nut is the only solution. Trying to seal a cracked fitting is a fool's errand.

Back
Top Bottom