Class 3 towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wife and i are in discussion about a motor home, i posted some general question and received tons of good info, but i need to step back and ask one at time instead of multi questions,

80 percent of the time we will not be towing a vehicle, we will be staying with relatives and borrow one of theirs. But still want the option in case we really enjoy this decide to make some longer trips. For a toad we have my truck a 2012 ram 1500 crew 4x4, weight with full tank of full and just me is just over 8100 pounds, im figuring this would be way over the limit on a class C. My wife has a jeep cherokee that is approx 4000 pounds, but its the normal 4 cly front wheel drive and cannot be flat towed so a trailer is the only option. another option is to get a 3 wheeler like a tri-glide or simiular and trailer that

for those that have towed has anyone towed that much weight with a class c and how did it handle, i know that the motorhome drive train will have alot to do with this. We live in SW Oklahoma where everything is fairly flat but would like to explore the western part of the country and the SE part so hills will be a factor.

so i guess what im asking is towing a viable option with a class c ?

thanks in advanced
Troy

For a toad we have my truck a 2012 ram 1500 crew 4x4, weight with full tank of full and just me is just over 8100 pounds, im figuring this would be way over the limit on a class C. My wife has a jeep cherokee that is approx 4000 pounds, but its the normal 4 cly front wheel drive and cannot be flat towed so a trailer is the only option. another option is to get a 3 wheeler like a tri-glide or simiular and trailer
That 8100 lbs is in the DP (Diesel Pusher) or perhaps Super C class for towing (most are rated for 10,000 lbs, some for more), since few gas class As and virtually no class Cs can safely tow that much.
or those that have towed has anyone towed that much weight with a class c and how did it handle, i know that the motorhome drive train will have alot to do with this.
I'd not be quite as much concerned with handling as with whether the rig could stand that much tow weight for any length of time without structural failure of some sort, though handling (especially light front end) could play a part too.

Since you'd have to trailer that Jeep, the weight of the trailer and Jeep combined will at least push the limits (if not exceed them) on most class Cs. There are Jeeps that you can flat tow, of course, just as there are some other options too.

Most front drive cars can be dolly-towed and you can find a few class C's RVs that could handle the 4300 or so lbs that would entail. Coaches built on the Ford E450 van chassis have a GCWR as high as 22,000 lbs but a GVWR that maxes out at 14,500, so some of them have substantial tow capacity. Note though, that many Class C E450's have the 18,000 lb GCWR, typically leaving them with rather limited tow capacity.

Where did you put all the lead you added to that 1500? I have a 1500 crew cab 2x and loaded with a big tool box and lots of camping gear it scales at 6600 pounds. 4x may add a few hundred pounds but not 1500 pounds with nothing else but fuel. You might want to scale that truck and find out what it really weighs.

lol thats where i found it, went thru the scales down at the elevator, showed 8108 ish pounds, again thats with me in it at 240 and a 34 gal tank full, and thinking back i prob did have a cpl hundred pounds of tools on it, i was still using the crossbox then, i may run down here tomorrow and rechceck the weight. she is fairly naked now with no tools or anything in the bed

Where did you put all the lead you added to that 1500? I have a 1500 crew cab 2x and loaded with a big tool box and lots of camping gear it scales at 6600 pounds. 4x may add a few hundred pounds but not 1500 pounds with nothing else but fuel. You might want to scale that truck and find out what it really weighs.
My reaction was much the same. Heck, I had an F250 diesel extended cab long bed and it was only about 6900 (I weighed about 200 at the time). 8100 lbs on a 1500 seems outlandish.

While your reaction is valid, if he has it loaded the same way when towing then that is the weight to use. If he's removed that "lead" when towing then the revised weight should be used.

My very lightweight RAM 2500 Tradesman model single cab weighs 6920 with a full tank and a rather heavy LEER topper, and that darn heavy Cummins 5.9L. Part of that weight is the "worlds heaviest transmission" at 490 lbs of cast iron!!!

Charles

My very lightweight RAM 2500 Tradesman model single cab weighs 6920 with a full tank and a rather heavy LEER topper, and that darn heavy Cummins 5.9L. Part of that weight is the "worlds heaviest transmission" at 490 lbs of cast iron!!!
Sure, but this is a 1500 and there was no diesel available for it in 2012.

you all were correct, i had some time today and took the truck across the scales and full of fuel and me in the seat it was 6220.

so im thinking and i may be wayyyy off, if you figure a truck weight off 6200 and the best guess on a car hauler that is have com up with is 2500-3000, this was a dealers guess on a 20foot with wooden floor, i come up with 9000-9500 towed weight, even if i find a class c with a 10k tow limit those numbers are to close in my opinion, again i may be wrong.

if we use the wife cherokee "front wheel drive, not flat towable," jeep is just under 4000 pounds according to the net, and i could do a 18 foot haulers figuring 2500 pounds im at 6500 total weight, is this to close on a class c ??

thx
troy

i have thought of a dolly and need to read alot more, i havent ever been around a dolly so i dont know the pros and cons of one vs a trailer,

i have thought of a dolly and need to read alot more, i havent ever been around a dolly so i dont know the pros and cons of one vs a trailer,
If your Cherokee is able to use a dolly (check the owner's manual) then it can save you some money and some weight, vs a trailer, but might be a little more hassle to use, partly depending on which type you get. When you're at an RV park, it can also be something smaller to find space for when unhooked (also smaller for storage when not on the road).

But it does allow more wear and tear on parts of your toad (the wheels/axle on the ground) than a trailer would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom