Class A / C Design Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first coach had a driver's door, and I used it often. However, that was more than 7 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be using it so often nowadays.

Not having full access to the entire interior was a deal killer for us when choosing our motorhome. We sometimes travel in sub-freezing weather, and keeping our super slide in means less area to heat. I do use our drivers side door often enough to be glad it's there, even if it's just for accessing the fuse panel and wiring to the left of the steering wheel. At 79, climbing in and out of it isn't as easy as it used to be, but it's still doable in the event the mid-entry door is jammed for some reason. That happened in a previous coach when the door latch broke internally, and the drivers door allowed me to enter with the needed tools to open the door and remove the broken parts. The still operating dead bolt let us continue our trip with little inconvenience until the latch could be replaced. The lack of a drivers door wouldn't necessarily be a deal killer for us, but having one is a definite plus.

Even in our Class C we tend to use the RV door rather than the truck ones. As mentioned by Isaac1 there is that center console business to contend with, but it isn't that huge of a thing on ours.

As for the steps, on our rig there are are two inside and one outside. If you have an aging dog keep in mind you might have to give them an assist in either type of RV. As for us people, as long as we are able, we aren't finding it a problem....some days getting in and out of the rig is the most aerobic exercise we get! LOL...The best part of having one of these things is getting somewhere where you can just enjoy the ambience of where you park it.

As others have said, everything about RVs is a trade-off. I've owned 2 class C's, and now a class A, and I will not go back to a C, for several reasons. A class A typically will have much more storage, as well as much higher tank capacities (fuel, water, black, grey). It will also typically have higher load capacities, and the front seats swivel and become part of the living area; most class C's do not. And there is no comparison to the view out of that huge front window, both while traveling and while camped. Our A has a driver's door, and although it's not exactly "easy" to use, I love it and use it every time I fuel up. It also would allow access if the camping door jams/breaks (hasn't happened yet, but...). Yes, the class C cab is "accident" rated, but the class A puts you above a car in an accident, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples.

As for slides; We prefer slides only on the driver side, so that they don't extend into our camping area; some campsites are just not as spacious as others. I also wouldn't want a "folding" bed, as we have brought the slide in a few times during heavy overnight winds to protect the slide covers.

The only thing that is blocked when our 2 slides are retracted are the dresser drawers under the bedroom closet, and we can quickly open the slide 12" or so to access those if needed. Everything else, from closet to bathroom to kitchen is fully useable/functional with the slides in.

I’m 6’3”, so I understand the height thing. Here’s something to think about that may be crucial. Have you sat in the driver’s seat of a Class C? I do NOT fit. I could never drive one comfortably, so that was my deal breaker on a C.
Also the driver and passenger seats on a Class A spin and become part of your Living Area. Not in a C. In fact a Class C has about 6-8 feet of length that is not used for living. A Class A has about 3 ft of non-living space.
My Georgetown has a BR slide, but the bed sdoesn’t fold, so it could be used to rest without deploying the slide. The wardrobe and drawers are not accessible, though.
I’ve heard that fuel mileage in a C is about 8 mpg. May gas A gets 6.

For sure, driver's door access is nice, but I think it wouldn't be a deal killer. "George" has one but it was actually second choice after the deal for a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm fell through due to unexpected issues found during the government mandated safety vehicle inspection.

I’m 6’3”, so I understand the height thing. Here’s something to think about that may be crucial. Have you sat in the driver’s seat of a Class C? I do NOT fit. I could never drive one comfortably, so that was my deal breaker on a C.
Also the driver and passenger seats on a Class A spin and become part of your Living Area. Not in a C. In fact a Class C has about 6-8 feet of length that is not used for living. A Class A has about 3 ft of non-living space.
My Georgetown has a BR slide, but the bed sdoesn’t fold, so it could be used to rest without deploying the slide. The wardrobe and drawers are not accessible, though.
I’ve heard that fuel mileage in a C is about 8 mpg. May gas A gets 6.
Same. We've rented two Class C's and after an hour or so of driving my left leg was completely asleep. Not only could I not stretch it out even a little but the foot well was so small that it kept my left foot at an odd angle. This is the only time I've driven class C's so it could have just been the particular models.

The GM cutaway vans are more spacious inside than the Ford cutaways. I'm 6'3 too and I couldn't deal with being a driver or passenger in the Ford. The doghouse for the engine takes up WAY too much vital space. Both are about the oldest designs on the planet. The GM cutaways' basic cab design was originally designed for the 1996 model year and the exterior sheet metal has only changed slightly. Ford has kept the same basic design since about 1992 on their E-series cutaway. Same thing, only minor sheet metal changes over the years and a few refreshes of the dashboard, trim, and such, but the interior room never got any bigger.

Re drivers door. We had one on an '06 Georgie Boy and I found it basically not useable due to its height off the ground. Not a deal killer though as it was a lifesaver when working under the dash on that side.

Ernie

One more thing on C’s… the van-based cutaway chassis have driver/passenger safety (crash) airbags. That’s a good thing depending on how you look at it.

The majority of Class A’s do not.

A class A does typically ride higher up than a Class C.

But not as high as most Freightliner-based Super C’s. Supers tend not to have safety airbags - past a certain gross vehicle weight, they are no longer required.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom