Class A chassis batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chassis battery capability is measured by CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), the ability to drive a starter motor. Bigger engines and most diesels require higher CCA ratings because they are harder for the starter to crank. Buy a chassis battery with the CCA rating required by your engine. Batteries are a commodity item - you can buy based on lowest price for the CCA needed. Brand is not critical - most all chassis batteries in the USA come from one of the big four battery makers, regardless of the name on the case. Hint: Interstate, Diehard, Duracell, and Everstart are not made by their respective companies.

A typical diesel requires a CCA rating of about 900; the typical large gas engine found in a motorhome is around 650-750.

Last edited:
You may have noticed that a premium priced battery often has a longer warranty. The battery is typically the same as a lower priced model with the same spec - the premium purchase price just pays for a longer warranty period. There are some batteries designed for more rugged uses, i.e. offroad or construction sites, but you probably won't find them in Walmart of Autozone.

Scottro,
Before you come back with more questions, please fill in a sigfile with important information about you coach. You will have more questions and this is a good place for answers.
(And what Gary writes, you can take to the bank.)
Why don't I have a sigfile with that? Because I also read two other type specific forums about that coach.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom