class A delema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuggett

I'm new to this board,just found out about it last week while I was in Zion Park.
I am in the process of up/grading from a class C to a class A diesel pusher.I'm looking at the Winnebago Journey,Fleetwood Expedition and, the Holiday Rambler Neptune.All in the 34-36 foot range.
Test drove them all and seem to like the Cat Diesel in the Fleetwood .Seems to be more responsive.They all ride the same (as far as I can tell ).Turning , braking,etc. etc.
I guess what I'm looking for is some help with the quality of the coaches.All the dealers say there's is the? "BEST". Frame,roof,suspension.
What do you all thing.?
? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks for the in/put,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? NUGGETT

Ask each dealer/manufacturer what they don't like about a competing brand.  Then go to that dealer and ask him to respond as if it was your own dislike.  By getting each dealer to talk about their competition you can learn a lot and get through some of the smoke by hearing all sides of the same issue.  We employed that tactic to great advantage last year while shopping for our first motorhome and diesel.

Also test drive as many as you can.  Which it appears you are doing.

I bought my coach new so having a local Winnebago dealer was the thing that swayed me. I read these stories of people who buy elsewhere and then can't get a local dealer to work on their rig in a timely matter. For warranty work, some have to travel 200-300 miles to their closest dealer. Buying locally was a big plus for me.

All three of those are decent coaches, so it's mostly a matter of preference for the particualr set of features, color schemes, the price you can negotiate and (possibly) the dealer iservice department f you are buying locally.

If you are considering the Expedition, I would suggest looking at the Fleetwood Bounder Diesel as well. It's mechanically similar but with the Bounder- lavorof  floor plans and trim.  And Monaco has a model or two that are the equivalent to the HR Nepture - probably the La Palma Diesel or the Cayman. You might also like the Newmar Ventana diesel.

I'm going to go with the flow here too.. Most all of the coaches you mention (and a bunch more) are good, however everyone occasionally has a "Monday" job (That is the work was done on a monday when the worker was still a bit hung over from the weekend party)

For example... While I was holed up in a hotel waiting for the glass man to re-install my windshield (Warranty job) there was another couple there... The exhaust on their CAT engine had come loose and fell over against the wireing box on their Frightliner chassis built Fleetwood MH.  The resulting fire did major damage

What can the manafacturer say under those conditions?  "OPPS" (Well yes, that they said) and the other thing is "Don't worry, it's covered under warranty"

And that, folks is what seperates the good companies from the bad ones.

Thanks for all the help.Were still looking and driving.Took out a 34h by Winnabego ( Journey ) today with the 350 cat,drove and performed well.Also drove a 34h by Fleetwood ( Excursion ) it too drove and handled well.The Fleetwood uses Flexsteel seats and I liked these better than Winnabegos own brand also the drivers compartment in the Fleetwood seemed to have more leg room.Like the solid wood cabinets in the Winnebago and it seems to have more storage inside.the Fleetwood uses solid wood doors but the frame work for the cabinets is a tape that is used instead of real oak through out.They say the tap isn't like it was back in 98 or so when it pealed off. any one have an opinion on this wood grain tape Fleetwood uses on this line of coach? STILL LOOKING

Thanks in Advance,
                                        NUGGETT

nuggett said:
Thanks for all the help.Were still looking and driving.Took out a 34h by Winnabego ( Journey ) today with the 350 cat,drove and performed well.Also drove a 34h by Fleetwood ( Excursion ) it too drove and handled well.The Fleetwood uses Flexsteel seats and I liked these better than Winnabegos own brand also the drivers compartment in the Fleetwood seemed to have more leg room.Like the solid wood cabinets in the Winnebago and it seems to have more storage inside.the Fleetwood uses solid wood doors but the frame work for the cabinets is a tape that is used instead of real oak through out.They say the tap isn't like it was back in 98 or so when it pealed off. any one have an opinion on this wood grain tape Fleetwood uses on this line of coach? STILL LOOKING

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Thanks in Advance,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?NUGGETT
I have that same type of wood in my Newmar and it has held up well over the last year and a half since it was new.  I would prefer the solid wood and I really don't know why they use that cheap stuff just to save a few bucks.  I can't imagine it would cost all that much more to do it "RIGHT".  None the less, I bought mine with that type of tape covering and so far so good.  Overall I love the coach and I could not beat the price.  The cabinets are pretty simply built so if ever the need comes, I will just have my cabinet guy build me a new set for the coach.  I have a contracting busness on the side where we build some spec homes. 

Good luck on your search.

Back
Top Bottom