Class A Diesel VS. Gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have owned both and could care less which one I have now. Oh, I don't have either one now, just a fifth wheel.

Diesels get better gas mileage but the gas is more expensive. Push.

Diesels cost more when buying but they sell for more when sold. Push.

Diesels cost more to maintain but need much less maintenance. Push.

The 2022 F53 chassis owner manual doesn't seem to be online yet,
Yeah, the 2nd link will not even accept my VIN number. Says "not found" which probably means "too new".

But on page 116 of the link you provided, it says:

"Use the information display controls on the steering wheel to reset the oil change indicator"

-Don- Reno, NV

What are thoughts about why "gas pushers" never caught on? What design, performance, or cost constraints were the greatest causes? Or was it simply poor marketing?

My thought is the 2008-2009 economic collapse killed them just when the Workhorse UFO chassis was starting to catch on, also the lack of a diesel variant to the UFO chassis which Workhorse had long promised, UFO stood for Universal Fuel Option, the idea of one chassis that could be either gas or lower end diesel pusher without air ride.

What are thoughts about why "gas pushers" never caught on? What design, performance, or cost constraints were the greatest causes? Or was it simply poor marketing?
One factor was the lack of sufficient cooling air around the exhaust manifolds, etc. with a rear gas engine. Also a lack of another high volume platform like a school bus that could share development costs. Heck, even some diesel school buses are now front engine based.

I think the biggest deal is the cost of locating the engine/transmission in the rear.
There are several factors which make DP cost more and I think "cost" is the driving factor for most folks making the decision between a DP and gas coach.

What I am hearing is that motorhomes are only one of several users of rear mount engine/transmission/axel assemblies. The other users are school busses and other specialty vehicles and they are diesel . The market for gas engine versions is too small to be economically viable.

I think a gas engine & tranny could be designed to work fine in a rear engine configuration, but it's a lot of engineering that is unique to a rear engine class A. Nobody else wants that configuration, so no car or truck manufacturer has built and tested it. That means time & $$ to get it done and tested. Workhorse tried to do it with their Class A UFO chassis but they never got the gas version working well enough to go into production (the diesel was easy - the parts and design exist already).

There are several factors which make DP cost more and I think "cost" is the driving factor for most folks making the decision between a DP and gas coach.
While that could be, with me the only issue is the mid range sizes do not seem to exist anywhere in Class A where they sell RVs out here.

If they had a Class A Diesels in less than 30', I would most likely own one right now.

-Don- Reno, NV

Why not more FREDs?... I've always thought that would be the easiest, cheapest way to go diesel... There have been diesel pick ups and vans for years.. I would love for my front engine MH to be diesel... My son and I had nearly identical GM pickups, with his being the old big block Chevy and mine the diesel, I could out pull him, it had better fuel economy... Just a better trailer/5th wheel puller... Back in 2008, when I bought the truck, it was only about $6,000 more for the diesel... I'm sure it has gone up since then, but I would pay that premium for diesel...
Butch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom