class A gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimlaurielucy

Looking to purchase late model winnie class A .  I have looked at all of the winnie and itasca products and would like to hear from the people that own them the pros and cons of any particular coach.  I realize the more expensive the more goodies. I would appreciate any helpful information.  I aso looked at Tiffin Allegro any, comments about that product. Thanks

I don't think it is a very good idea to limit yourself to one or two manufacturers when shopping for an RV. Winnie and Tiffin both make great coaches for sure, but there are hundreds, you read that right, hundreds of other manufacturers that also have manufactured great RVs equal to or better than those two. It took me four months of intensive searching to find my current RV. If I was only looking at one or two brands I would still be looking. And in the used market the condition of the RV and the maintenance records are way more important than the brand. Most RVs made are on chassis built by Freightliner or Spartan. The appliances are not made by the RV manufacturer, they are made by appliance manufacturer. So really all the manufacturer of a motorhome is doing is designing the floor plan, building the structure and installing the components. 

What is going to be the main use of the motor home? Will it be full timing, 3 to 4 months of continuous living in it during the winter, weekend trips? These choices make a big difference in the floor plan and size of the motor home regardless of manufacturer. I would agree with your choices of Winnebago and Tiffin. I like both of them for their factory support and availability of parts and information.

For detailed advice you need to provide detailed information.  "I'm looking for a Class X in the year range for X to Y in the length of X to Y and it must have features X, Y, Z... and I only want to spend X dollars." Without details all of the answers will be vague.  Personally I'm looking for a Class A Diesel Pusher from the year 2007-2012, between 32 and 37 feet, and it must have a forward facing seatbelt in the dinette.  My preference of brands is Beaver or Tiffin It also must be priced under 50k, and I would prefer it to be under 20K as long as I'm dreaming here.  I?m not poking fun, I?m just giving an example of what kind of information is necessary for a thought provoking conversation.  We all have favorites, for me I have favorites in the lower-mid to high-mid line class As.  I have no interest in owning a Class C, B or towable so I know nothing about those.

Tom is right there are hundreds of quality brands that fit the "Late model" status and almost all of them built great quality rigs (At least some of the models).  I personally have owned both Fleetwood and Thor "Late Model" rigs, the Thor being much later model than the Fleetwood.  They have both been excellent condition well maintained rigs.  While shopping I have seen the exact same models that I bought that were completely and thoroughly trashed.  Condition is far more important in late model than brand to many of us.
Many people here say ?Floor plan, Floor plan, Floor plan? when in reality the gas rigs from the 90s and early 2000s don?t have a ton of difference to me.  The steering wheel and drivers seat is in the front, and either the sofa or the dining area is right behind that (most often a sofa with a recliner or swivel chair opposite that) Next is the kitchen often opposite the dining area, then bathroom/closet then bedroom.  Some differences will be, side facing or front facing bed, and left or right side kitchen, but without slides, the side the kitchen is on is less important. 

The biggest difference (I saw) between my 37? Bounder and a 32? Bounder from the same year is the size of the bathroom area.  The front area is mostly determined by prebuilt components, stovetops sofa beds, and dinettes.  The bedroom in the back is predetermined by the size of the bed and if it is sideways or not.  The middle in most cases the bathroom, is where those 5 extra feet often end up.  5 extra linear feet assume an 8 foot width is 40 sq feet, which is HUGE and at least 3 and possibly all of those 5 feet are in the area between the bedroom and livingroom.

Try to make the search fun, we did.  It does drag on but once you have your list of what you must have it goes much smoother.

Jeff

I have a 2005 gas Adventurer. This is my 4th MH. I'm very pleased with the coach. It has enough power to tow my Saturn Vue (approx 3200lbs) over the mountains out here in the West. Gas mpg averages 7, only about 5 on the steep grades and as high as 8 on the long flats.
Just went to the Pomona RV show where I looked at ForestRiver MH. Although the floor plan was really nice it had really small holding tanks. When traveling with kids and grandkids you find it real hard to conserve of gray water.
I previously owned a PaceArrow (Fleetwood) and a Holiday Rambler. Both companies have changed and other than name have no relationship with the coaches I previously owned. So any comparison is worthless.
If I were to purchase another MH in 2013 it would be a Winnebago based on what I saw at the Pomona show. It was hinted that they are going to introduce a mid-door entry diesel, if so a new MH is a possibility.

Hello Laurie & Jim...  :) :)

We purchased a new 2012 Winnebago 27' 'Vista.'  Our plan was to take as many 1,2 or 3 week trips as opposed to the full-time/live-in lifestyle... 

The few trips we've taken there has been several rv'ers stopping by our site wanting to know more about our rig.  It's the short (158") wheelbase and 'Saddle' Full Body Paint graphic that captures their eyes... ;D

We're more than happy with our purchase.  Our dealer, Findlay RV in Las Vegas [NV], has been exceptional in backing their product.  For example, I'm deployed, so when the wife went down to the dealer to pick-up a gallon of antifreeze and asked a quick question about 'winterizing,' they offered to go over to our RV storage lot, drain the water heater and add the antifreeze.  That's being done on the 19th... 

I've never even had that type of offer on my BMW purchases.  But that's another Forum. :eek: 

On the '26P' model (27') we have sufficient interior movement w/the slideouts and gas mileage @ approx.
8 mpg, no toad...  Most of our time 'on-site' is outside anyway, talkin' to the neighbors...  Just invest in a couple of quality folding chairs.

Anyway, that's my take on things... being an RV Veteran of about two (2) months!

'Baghdad Bill'

We had a 2008 Voyage 32H, which we used for weekends and vacations for a year and full-timed in for four months before we bought our current DP.

The 32H (which was a Voyage/Sunrise model in 2008 and has been an Adventurer/Suncruiser since) has a great floorplan, in our opinion. The full wall slide makes it live much bigger, yet the coach is short enough to pull into almost any state park. The Ford V10 was powerful enough to take us everywhere we wanted to go while towing our Jeep with ease.

We didn't have a bit of trouble with that coach. (Wish we could say the same for our Tour!  :p) Whenever we see a 32H on the road, we get a bit sentimental. We miss that coach!

Enjoy your shopping. It's definitely a buyer's market out there. So, take your time and find a coach you like at a price you love.

Good luck!
Mary

We have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer. We travel in it about 8 months a year. It's a great motorhome. Unfortunately, the upholstery wasn't designed for extended use and is falling apart. Newer Winnebago models appear to have better upholstery. We've been looking at the Tiffen Allegro Open Road for a over a year and really like it. All we have to do is decided whether to trade in our Winnie on the Allegro or save $50,000 by reupholstering the Winnie.

Wendy

[quote author=Wendy]All we have to do is decided whether to trade in our Winnie on the Allegro or save $50,000 by reupholstering the Winnie.[/quote]

Chris has remodeled (including re-upholstered) numerous boats, saving the owners tens and hundreds of $000's vs buying a new or newer boat.

We've looked at new/er RVs and boats on numerous occasions, came 'home', and decided there's nowt 'wrong' with what we have that can't be fixed or upgraded.

We bought our last motorhome first  ;).  We went through the trade-up route with boats (five of them) and decided we'll buy once this go-round.  I would LOVE the room of the new 42-footer Tours/Ellipse <drool> but we'll just continue to upgrade ours.

We have 80K miles on our Horizon and the furniture is holding up amazingly well but I want to get rid of the little bit of carpet we were 'blessed' with at the factory (we're about 70% ceramic tile and 30% carpet.)

Tom said:
Chris has remodeled (including re-upholstered) numerous boats, saving the owners tens and hundreds of $000's vs buying a new or newer boat.

Maybe we should reroute our trip and come up there and hire Chris to re-upholster the coach !

Wendy

Chris doesn't do RVs; She's focused on boats and houses.

When we bought a 1993 Pinnacle we really appreciated that it had been done originally in the blue scheme, instead of the pink that was also common for that era.  We removed the light blue shades and added darker blues and browns for a more updated look.  It didnt take long and we did all the work ourselves.  About the most drastic thing I had to do was to buy some brown fabric from Joanne's and use a stable gun on the valances.  It was not hard to do a basic updatting.  We did it so we could enjoy the coach but it sure didnt hurt when it came time to sell it.

Jeff

We just purchased a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A. Looks like a top end coach on the inside. So glad Fleetwood did all the fixtures in brush nickle, not the gold finish of that era!

Scott  :)

We bought a similar aged Bounder and it was all brass, very anoying but only took a single day to go around with an electric screwdriver to swap it all out.  I think it cost a couple of hundred dollars in parts but now you would never know it wasn't always brushed nickle.  Could be that was done to your Pace as well, we saw several Pace Arrows of that vintage and almost all of them were brass until 2004-2005.  The Southwind seemed to go to nickel in 2000, Bounder and Pace a bit later rainging from 2004-2005.  very unfortunate, since all three were built in the same place they could have saved money by putting the same cabinet fixtures in all three of them.  (I know the Pace and Southwind are sister coaches while the Bounder is their step-brother.)

Jeff

jeffbrown said:
We bought a similar aged Bounder and it was all brass, very anoying but only took a single day to go around with an electric screwdriver to swap it all out.  I think it cost a couple of hundred dollars in parts but now you would never know it wasn't always brushed nickle.  Could be that was done to your Pace as well, we saw several Pace Arrows of that vintage and almost all of them were brass until 2004-2005.  The Southwind seemed to go to nickel in 2000, Bounder and Pace a bit later rainging from 2004-2005.  very unfortunate, since all three were built in the same place they could have saved money by putting the same cabinet fixtures in all three of them.  (I know the Pace and Southwind are sister coaches while the Bounder is their step-brother.)

Jeff

Ours came from the factory with the brushed nickle. I guess they were ahead of their time!  ;)

Scott  :)

Back
Top Bottom