Class A Leveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shorts

We just purchased a new home!! A 2016 Newmar Ventana LE diesel pusher. And I need a recommendation on leveling blocks. Where we need to park it for a few months is on an incline. After we deploy the auto levelers, the tires on one side are a couple of inches off the ground. With our fifth wheel, we use the stacking lego blocks under the wheels but the ones we have barely hold up under the weight of the 5th wheel.

We really prefer not to carry lumber but when searching leveling products on Amazon, most do not specify a weight limit or specifically say not for Class A. So was hoping someone might have something they use that works well and can recommend it.

TIA - Vicki
Here she is! A beauty isn’t she?!
AB9105BC-8384-4267-9B5A-8436A5232695.jpeg

Congrads on the Newmar. On my Ventana 3709 (a tad shorter than yours) I have yet to need blocks of any sort (other than under the jack feet when it's soft), and only once did I have a wheel off the ground (not by much), so I moved the coach and managed to get to where all four stayed down. But I do carry s few 2x6 pieces (a foot long, or so), just in case. And they are in the passenger side compartment just in front of the rear wheel, where there's only a few inches of depth, with tanks behind the perf board. Just behind that wheel is a small compartment where I keep bottled water and chocks, and a couple of those 2x6s will fit there, too.

You can ignore leveling if you start out parking fairly level. Modern refers are not really picky about being level like the old ones were. No RV sites are perfectly level otherwise the rain would turn it into a lake. The front end of most RVs are slightly lower in front so if you park the front end of the RV in the higher end of a spot you will end up being almost level.

If both sets of wheels are off the ground on one side, that would indicate a pretty good levelling need. I would use 12 inch long 2x12's to get some of the weight on the tires and off the Jacks. Unfortunately the rear duallys will require two sets and you may need to put a piece or two under the low side Jacks to get the coach up high enough to get the boards under the wheels. Some expense involved but it pays off over 3 months and it provides a nice flat interface for your tires.

Home Depot will usually cut boards to your request for free when purchased.

Last edited:
I assume you're concerned about leveling the RV refrigerator. If it isn't turned on, there's nothing to worry about if it's unlevel. It sounds like you're talking about storing it for a few months. On the other hand, if you're using it and need the refrigerator turned on, some blocks of 2x6s work and really don't take up much room. Jerry angled one end of each one to make driving onto them easier.

ArdraF

Measure the width of your tires. You want to make sure that the entire tread is supported by the board and not hanging over the edge . A 2X6 may not be wide enough

For a full size class a with 22.5" Wheels 2x12 is indicated

I have a couple of stair steps (if you are near Flint, MI you can have 'em)
1 foot
Two Feet
Three feet long
Glued and stained Just drive up one or two steps then deploy jacks. I also have 12x12 slabs of 2x12 for under the jacks.

NOTE if parking in winter Jacks down slap a squre foot of 2x12 under each jack (Stained to seal) I found the jacks may freeze to the ground but not to the blocks. As for the blocks, once I moved the RV I tapped 'em gently with an 8 pound sledge and they came "unfroze" real fast :)

Congrats! For leveling, Kevin laminated some plywood together. He drilled a hole in one side and threaded some rope through it so he can pull them out easily. He made two each of a three layer, two layer, and one layer. They are about 12x18” so they fit under both tires at once. Then he has the same number and type of 12x12” for the jacks. What typeof vehicle are you towing? I assume the “big butt truck” is history.

One thing to remember is that the parking brake is only for the rear wheels. Personally I never let any of my wheels dangle in the air. I use the levelers to go hgh enough to get my stacker blocks under the tire and then let it down on them.

The Parking brake on many motor homes is for the drive shaft. lift ONE rear wheel off the ground and the Parking brake is .. disabled.

I towed cars. At first a Chevy Lumina APV then a Dodge Neon.. Once I got the check for the settlement on the Motor home (After a kind semi driver (Well really a rump hole) totaled it while i was parked... (I was thinking about parking anyway.. I mean for all time) I took the settlement check and said NEON to a local car dealer and brought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude home.

The Parking brake on many motor homes is for the drive shaft. lift ONE rear wheel off the ground and the Parking brake is .. disabled.
John, on a DP the parking brakes are the rear wheel brakes which, with air pressure down (done by brake switch), will lock up and need air reapplied to release them (release the switch), just as if there were no air in the tanks at all (or less than 60 psi). But it IS just rear wheels.

I assume you're concerned about leveling the RV refrigerator. If it isn't turned on, there's nothing to worry about if it's unlevel. It sounds like you're talking about storing it for a few months. On the other hand, if you're using it and need the refrigerator turned on, some blocks of 2x6s work and really don't take up much room. Jerry angled one end of each one to make driving onto them easier.

ArdraF
Sounds like just about everyone is using 2x6s or 12s. We are fulltime, so definitely not storing it and we have a residential fridge so don’t have to worry about that for leveling. It’s just the location we are currently in has a pretty good slope to it that we can’t avoid and we will be here workamping for a couple more months.

John - thanks for the offer. Even though we are sort of next door in Wisconsin, still a little far away to just run over and pick them up. 😁

Congrats! For leveling, Kevin laminated some plywood together. He drilled a hole in one side and threaded some rope through it so he can pull them out easily. He made two each of a three layer, two layer, and one layer. They are about 12x18” so they fit under both tires at once. Then he has the same number and type of 12x12” for the jacks. What typeof vehicle are you towing? I assume the “big butt truck” is history.
Pam - we haven’t got a toad yet. We’ve been looking for a Jeep, hoping to find a used one already set up to tow. We still have the 5W and truck as the 5W has been waiting on parts from Forest River to do the repair work from the damage back in December! It’s finally getting done as soon as we can get everything transferred over to the Ventana. What a chore! So much stuff after 6 years fulltime. Then they both go up for sale.

Thanks everyone- Vicki

Get the 2x12 pieces - you can toss them in the fireplace when you leave if you expect to have no further need.

We went to more than a few odd-level sites, so carried a selection of boards with us. I just laid them flat as a secondary floor in one of the bays, so they didn't steal much storage space. Just 1.5" of the available height.

Wow you guys. It's gorgeous. I'll bet you are in RV heaven. Many, many years of enjoyment to ya.

Linda

You could also dig a hole under the wheels 4” or 5” deep on the high side. Just make sure you fill the hole in when you leave.

You could also dig a hole under the wheels 4” or 5” deep on the high side. Just make sure you fill the hole in when you leave.
NO No No! Even if filled in, the hole will erode.
Pam - we haven’t got a toad yet. We’ve been looking for a Jeep, hoping to find a used one already set up to tow. We still have the 5W and truck as the 5W has been waiting on parts from Forest River to do the repair work from the damage back in December! It’s finally getting done as soon as we can get everything transferred over to the Ventana. What a chore! So much stuff after 6 years fulltime. Then they both go up for sale.

Thanks everyone- Vicki
What happened to the 5er?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom