Class A Monaco Windsor with rubber roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forgeyrd

I bought a 36' Diesel Monaco Windsor a year ago from Florida. The Rubber top had been done about a year before I bought it. Now on the metal curved area that goes from the top to the side fiberglass panels I have what looks like mildew. It should be white like the room but it looks terrible. Used power sprayer with bleach and got some improvement but that's it. The coach really looks bad since that is at the the very top above my awnings. Does anyone know if I can get that out or can I paint it with something. It just detracts so bad from the look of the coach. :(

If your stain is on the aluminium it could be corrosion which can usually be removed with metal polish or in very bad cases with etch (bleach). I would try some aluminum polish first and see if that removes it?

Thanks, it is on the aluminum. It looks like they painted it when they redid the roof and it mildewed.

Could be glue they used to apply the rubber roof.

DON"T use anything with petroleum base on the rubber roof, or it will damage it.  To clean the rubber, scrub with spic-and-span and a stiff brush.  Rinse throughly.  Do this at least twice a year.  Check the roof twice a year to see if recaulking is needed.  Only use Dicor caulk or caulk made for application on rubber roofs.

Painting over mildew is not advised. The mildew will bleed through the new paint if it lives and flake off (carrying the paint) if it dies.  Good quality paint contains mildecide and you can buy mildewcides to add to paint, but you want to get any existing mildew off first.

A mild bleach solution should be all that is necessary to remove mildew from metal. Must be something else on the surface of the aluminum. Can't imagine why they would paint the aluminum, though.

If you want to paint it, get it as clean as possible and then put a sealer/primer over it. Kilz is a good one for covering stains. Plain old shellac works well too. Then paint with a good grade of exterior paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom