Class A Motorhome Tire Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjosimpa

Our 2013 Class A has original 19.5" Goodyear tires with dates December 2012 and January 2013.  Rig has been tracking/handling well with about 19,000 original miles.  I plan to replace all tires within the next 3 or 4 months due to age.
Question:  What is the current thinking/experience with the tires currently on the market?  Should I investigate truck tires or Motorhome tires......is their any difference?

Any advice concerning brand, balancing, warranty, FMCA assistance, tire pressure,  tire date, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al Rice

Sumitomo is a reliable brand and has multiple tire models in that size. Firestone FS561, Hankook, & Cooper Roadmaster are some other good choices in the moderate price range. All well-known international brands, not unknowns from Fred's Tire Factory.  I would not pay the price premium for Goodyear or Michelin when there is (in my opinion) no discernible advantage in doing so.

RV tires are truck tires - there is no difference if you choose the appropriate application.  RV usage falls into the category that the tire industry calls the regional delivery application.  That is mixed highway and town driving where high treadwear (mileage) is not the major factor in tire value.

Shop around with and without FMCA pricing. (FMCA has discounts on Michelin, Hankook, and Continental).  Sometimes Dealer pricing is cheaper than the discount.  Mine were almost $24 a tire cheaper, and fresh date codes. (less than 5 weeks old)

darsben said:
Remember as the tariffs on Chinese goods takes  affect the price on MOST tire brands made in China will go up 30%
Yes. But the Chinese are paying the tarrif. How does that work?

darsben said:
Funny you do not look Chinese but you and I are paying the tariff It is estimated by the Congressional budget office that a family of 4 will spend an extra three grand to pay for the tariffs.
???

Actually, a tariff is an additional tax paid by the buyer. Its purpose is to "encourage" the consumer to find a different source, thus putting market pressure on the original seller.

I understand that before the 16th Amendment (Income Tax), tariffs were the Federal Government's main source of revenue.

The only way the retail buyer (you & me) avoids paying for a tariff is by not buying the product.  When a company imports a product that has a tariff on it, they pay the tax to the US government.  And add it to the selling price of the product.  There is no penalty or harm to the manufacturer unless the retail customer refuses to buy because the price is now too high.

The tariff encourages the product to be produced in a country that wouldn't have the tariff, like.....here!

Mile High said:
The tariff encourages the product to be produced in a country that wouldn't have the tariff, like.....here!

But all the tooling has been moved to China and it would take a long time to get the tooling back, if the Chinese would allow it. the companies that sent the stuff overseas most likely will find another third world country to pollute and not bring the manufacturing back to the US. You and I have become accustomed  to less expensive goods.  So the net effect of the tariffs is to increase prices for you and I.  Who is being punished?

There are no simpleton answers to complex questions

darsben said:
But all the tooling has been moved to China and it would take a long time to get the tooling back, if the Chinese would allow it. the companies that sent the stuff overseas most likely will find another third world country to pollute and not bring the manufacturing back to the US. You and I have become accustomed  to less expensive goods.  So the net effect of the tariffs is to increase prices for you and I.  Who is being punished?

There are no simpleton answers to complex questions
I resent the Simpleton comment -

I can't think of a way to respond to you without getting political and this is the wrong place for that, but I really am sick and tired of people like you telling me what I have become accustomed to paying for.  You have no idea what I would be willing to pay to put this country back on it's feet to reverse the damage large corporations have done to our industry out of ignorance and short term greed under the name of international commerce.

Mile High said:

I can't think of a way to respond to you without getting political and this is the wrong place for that, but I really am sick and tired of people like you telling me what I have become accustomed to paying for.  You have no idea what I would be willing to pay to put this country back on it's feet to reverse the damage large corporations have done to our industry out of ignorance and short term greed under the name of international commerce.

I guess we will agree to disagree. My simpleton remarks were not directed at you as I do not know you well enough; however the majority of goods are manufactured overseas to lower costs and we as a nation have become accustomed to that. You may buy USA goods only for which I applaud you. My statement was in no way political except maybe what you read into it. That I cannot help

Thanks to all for the recommendations concerning motorhome tire replacement.  Very helpful as I will soon be committing considerable dollars to whatever brand I select.  Advice concerning keeping aware of pricing as influenced by the tariff situation appreciated.

Thanks, Al Rice

Hi AL,

I purchased some Cooper tires about three years back about the same size you are seeking. Cost me just under $2,000 for 7 tires or six on the rig and one spare. That is about $286 per tire. I have been happy with those tires and haven't had any problems as of yet. I will probably have them inspected from where I purchased them from in year 5, 6, and replace after year 7. The truck place that does my maintenance inspects the tires and other items under the rig. They have a bad habit of changing my air pressure which I wish they would leave that up to me. I tend to leave the rig at travel pressure because the place that services it is only a few miles a way.

I've heard some complaints on here about the Cooper Tires they bought, but made me wonder if they were doing something wrong like wrong air pressure or speeding when it was hot out in summer and so forth.

Mile High said:

AMEN & Mega Dittos.

As for the tires, Toyos have served me well for the past couple of years and are very affordable.  Others have commented much the same about them.

Back
Top Bottom