Class B+ ? and generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alecksi10

I am fairly new to the world of rv's and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about class B+ motorhomes?? I was surfing around the net today looking at listings and found a few of these.? Some of them looked like very small class C's while others just looked like plain old regular class C's....is that all they are is little C's, or is this dealer B.S. that doesn't really mean anything significant?

I am also trying to find some books/dvd's on rv generators and engines, but so far haven't had much luck.? I don't have a particular model in mind, I just want to learn how they work and how to correct minor problems.  If anyone has any suggestions on informative reading material, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks for any help,
Alecksi

Not exactly sure what you are asking, Alecksi, or what "dealer B.S." you are referring to.  But yes, a B+ is not much different than a C and (to me) the designation really doesn't have much meaning.  Don't worry about the class (type) designation - just look for a size and floor plan that suits your needs.

As for generator repair manuals, most of them are specific to a brand, e.g. Honda or Onan. However, here is a source for a general book on small generators:

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/smalacgenser.html

Alecksi,
Strictly speaking, a B+ is really a Class C. ?By definition, a Class B is built from a complete van chassis, so the size of the MH is defined by the size of the van. ?A Class C is built on a cab-only truck chassis. ?The coach part can be just about any size that the chassis can accommodate. ?A B+ would be better called a C-, but that doesn't market very well. ?Keep in mind that B+ motorhomes are wider than a B and cannot be parked in a standard parking space. ?They also tend to be taller than a B. ?The end result is that a B+ is somewhat more limited in where it can be driven. ?Also, because it typically weighs more and has a larger cross section, your mileage will be somewhat less. ?On the plus side, you have a bit more room. ?It can accommodate 3 or even 4 people whereas a B is limited to just 2 people.

b_smitty said:
A B+ would be better called a C-, but that doesn't market very well.

Smitty, that's a great way of saying it  ;D

Hi Alecksi,

The B+ that I have seen look very much like a class C but the overhead bunk is non existent. That area is made into an entertainment center. In other respects they are very close to a class C but might not have a walk around bedroom. Any coach with a corner bed will be a pain to make up. One will resort to sleeping bags very quickly. :)

RV Roamer said:
Nowadays many Class C's do not have the front overhead bunk, or it is an option to have either a bunk, an entertainment center or sometimes a storage area. 

Gary,

True but many also still have a single bunk that slides under the entertainment center. Now that class C's can be found over 30' the overhead bunk isn't as necessary.

Your choice of RV should be based primarily on how you plan to use it.? My wife and I learned there are places we just couldn't go in a Class C.? I've nothing against Class Cs, but maneuvering on narrow streets and parking a C can be a real pain in certain touristy areas.? We found that, as a touring vehicle, even a 24' C was too awkward.? It detracted from the traveling experience.? We needed to go to a Class B -- an RV that is designed for touring, but allows us to camp, as well, albeit in much less comfort than in a larger MH.? ?The distinguishing feature of a Class B is its narrow width (Sprinter vans are only 6.5' wide).? They fit in a standard parking slot (width-wise) and at only 20' - 22' in length are very maneuverable.? Despite its diminutive size, it's a complete motorhome, capable of accommodating 2 adults.? Some even squeeze in a dog or cat.? If you plan to travel with children, you'll need to take along a tent, as well.

Bottom line, if you are mainly interested in camping,? buy a larger MH or a trailer.? A few rainy days trapped in a B and you'll wish you had.? If you're planning to travel from place to place with only short camping stopovers and spur of the moment itinerary changes, buy a Class B.?

The so called Class B+, IMHO, is not optimized for either use, but if you are interested in a B+, take a look at the Sprinter-based Itasca Navion (Winnebago View), it gets 22 mpg diesel.

When our touring days are over, my wife and I will upgrade to a Class A, but for now, we love our B!? ?;D

If you're planning to travel from place to place with only short camping stopovers and spur of the moment itinerary changes, buy a Class B.

Strange - I thought that's why we bought our a Class A!  ???  But we tow a car for sneaking into those narrow streets and parking slots. Or venturing offroad as well.

I didn't state my point very well.? When we tour, we often pass through several towns in the course of a day, stopping to enjoy out-of-the-way attractions and sites and then moving on before making camp many miles down the road that evening.? Our experience with a Class C is that we often were limited on where we could go and where we could park.

Your right, Gary. If we were pulling a dingy and could find a place to park the MH, we could unhook the car and drive about freely.? But, you must admit, it is not always practical to do so, and you still have to return to the MH and re-hitch the car before moving on to your campsite that evening.? Also, few C owners tow a separate car.

I'm not disparaging Class A/C motorhomes or trailers.? I just wanted to point out that there are reasons that different RV classes exist, and deciding which class of RV to buy is the first important decision one has to make.? The class B conversion van is inferior to other MHs in many respects, but when it come to mobility, it has no equal.? If maximizing mobility is important to you, a B may be your best choice.? The designation "B+" may lead one to believe that you are getting this mobility advantage when, in fact,? you are not.? Buyer beware.

>but if you are interested in a B+, take a look at the Sprinter-based Itasca Navion (Winnebago View), it gets 22 mpg diesel.<

That 22mg is 100% more than I got on either of my 2 Class C's in 100k miles --unless I was driving from 7k' doen to the midwest and had a stron tailwind. I remember the one time I got 13mpg and knew it would never be repeated as both the downward run and tail wind were maximized.  ;D

That 22 mpg and the parking convenience has a strong attractin for me. Back when they still allowed a class C in San Francisco I would get my 22.5' Leprechaun at the ends spot on a block for the time I wanted to be downtown or in China town and always got back in time to feed the meter and give us a pit stop as we had 3 young kids with us. I allways used to take it into backcountry that only puy campers would try and never got stuck by scouting ahead on foot if I saw even a hint of sand too deep in the Anza Borego or four corners area.

Now, for Bev & I to have all the conveniences of a C with the smaller footprint of a B+ and good mileage to boot, that really looks good to me. I've heard that some workcampers even use the B+ as a toad. parking their big A, haveing a small toad for arround town and the B+ for weekend trips.

Many of the current crop of B's are actually widened a bit from the standard van body.  My '98 Pleasureway has the sides behind the doors pushed out 3.5 inches each side.  The 7 inches seem to make a huge difference in subjective interior room.  Still, the fixed enclosed bathroom, while there is a "phone" shower, I really don't think it is practical for taking a shower.
Art

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom