class b vs class c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Someone told me the other day that a Class C motorhome has the overcab bed.  Otherwise, it's a Class B.  I've seen small motorhomes that have an optional bed or a/v center above the cab. 

Is there an official definition of Class B vs Class C?  Which is usually larger?

--pat

Nonononono no.... no

A class C is an RV built on a van, or sometimes a truck.  It has a van, or truck, front end and is a real RV from the cab back.  Most Cs do have a cab-over bed, some have an entertainment system, some have both, and some have nothing at all over the cab.

A Class B is a van.  It looks like a van.  It is the size of a van.  It may have a raised roof, or not.  once inside it is still a van but with a bed and a stove and a table and (if youre lucky) a toilet.  Just about the only way to tell a class B is more than just a van without standing inside it is to look for telltales like a roof AC, Awning, or Water heater.

Big difference between Class C and B.  Some RVs have blurred the lines between the two, however.  The Rialta is kind of a class B, but mostly a Class C.  The RoadTrek 210 is trying to be a class C, but is still a B.

If it looks like a Van, its a B
If it looks like an RV with a van nose, its a C

Pat said:
Someone told me the other day that a Class C motorhome has the overcab bed.? Otherwise, it's a Class B.? I've seen small motorhomes that have an optional bed or a/v center above the cab.?

Is there an official definition of Class B vs Class C?? Which is usually larger?

--pat

For the RV Industry Association's definitions click HERE

For the RV Forum definitions in our library click HERE

My definition for what it is worth is the Class C motorhome is an RV built on a van chassis.  The maker buys a van chassis with only the cab portion of the body on it. The R maker builts a body on it behind the cab.  The Class B on the other hand van has its complete body which is modified by the RV maker.

"Is there an official definition of Class B vs Class C? "

The definition I liked was:

Class A--None of it built in Detroit.

Class B--All of it built in Detroit.

Class C--About half of it built in Detroit.

But the above  may not hold up so well these days.

-Don-

Carl,

Every time I see my old illustrated file I'm reminded about my back burner project to get it updated.

The maker buys a van chassis with only the cab portion of the body on it. The R maker builts a body on it behind the cab.

Right - it's called a "van cutaway chassis" by the auto/truck makers who build them. But some C's are built on a pick-up or medium truck chassis, one that does not have a pick-up bed on it. It's called a "chassis cab" in the parlance of the auto/truck industry, i.e. a chassis with the driving cab on it but nothing else.

Class B's are built on a complete van, using the van body as the sides (and maybe the roof too) of the RV.

How about the newer description I've seen of a Class B+?  I think I know the answer (as far as what a B+ looks like), but I'd be curious to know the official decription and how it melds a B and C together.  The hot new term in car manufacturing nowadays is "hybrid" so it doesn't surprise me that the RV industry is jumping on board. ;)

My 8 yr old class B has the original van sides moved out behind the doors 3 1/2 inches on each side.  It has a fiberglass high top raising the height to 8' 6" overall for 6' 3" height inside.
Art

Back
Top Bottom