Class B with high ceilings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adfuller

Hello. I am in the market for a class B camper van. I am 6 foot 5 inches, and none of the models I have seen have interior heights that I can stand up in. Does anyone know of a class b that has a interior ceiling height of 6 foot 6 inches or higher without a pop-up roof? Or does anyone know a good place to look for comparative specifications of all the models?
Thanks a lot.

The big three in Class B van are Roadtrek, Pleasureway and Leisure Vans.? In the last couple of years Leisure has switched to a bigger chassis which is the Mercedes/Freightliner truck chassis as opposed to the usual 3500 LB Ford or Dodge? van chassis.? You may want to check them out.

There are also some hybrid Class C's that border on Class B styling which seem to have a taller chassis.

A factor to consider is the center of gravity of a van that size, which would be shifted with a taller roof line.? Class B's built on Dodge 3500 chassis were often built to the max GVWR resulting in sever handling problems in cross winds.

Duplicate postings of the same message in multiple Forum sections will be removed by Forum moderators.? Duplicate postings lead to confusion as well as a reduction in responses.

Thanks for your cooperation!

It been awhile since you asked, but... Take a look at the Airstream Westfalia.  It has headroom of 7'1" to 7'9".

The Gulfstream BT Cruiser has 77 inch interior height - a tight fit for you but perhaps OK. They are a really nice, oversized B, sort of a hybrid between a B & a C.

Extra headroom may seem to have advantages in a Class B, until one of these tall vehicles is driven in a crosswind.  The center of gravity is moved much higher than the original design of the vehicle was planned for and combined with excessive rear overhang in some designs, the vehicle can come close to impossible to handle on the highway in the wind.

Having experienced near impossible handling in a Class B first hand, I would caution against any extraordinary modifications that change the base vehicle from its intended design.

There is another option: the Class B Plus.

These units are designed to have more room than the usual van conversion and include a body attached to the cutaway chassis like the type C. However, many if not most are still usable as an everyday vehicle. There are several examples. Winnebago used the VW chassis to create the Rialta. Others have used the new Sprinter chassis like that in the FedEx raised delivery vans and use it with the matched Mercedes diesel engine. I believe that Joe & Cricket Lacy have one of these in addition to their Class A. As a toad for a work-camper it allows one to park the fuel gulping A and use the fuel stingy B + for weekend trips to explore the area.

So, be sure and look at this new subset and you may find it more usable for one person than the normal van conversion that is the traditional Class B. If you were a submariner or in armor, it would be luxurious.  ;) 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom