Class c E450 alternator amperage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuervo1

I have a 2010 E450. I'm looking to replace the alternator. When I put in the VIN all I get for replacement are 120 Amp. I was wanting to get a higher Amp replacement.
Does anyone know what the original alternator Amperage rating is from Ford when new? There are 155 Amp and 225 Amp available from rock auto that they say fit.

Mark_K5LXP

It'd be my guess that there's no standard size just based on engine displacement, it would be whatever the buyer of the chassis spec'd. Wouldn't surprise me if there were several optional OEM alternators offered. Maybe your chassis documentation would show it but nothing like empirical evidence - go out and look at it. I'd want to lay eyes on it before changing it out anyway, so I'd know what I was in for in terms of access and clearance.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
The 120A alternator is probably standard for a passenger or trade van. Typically higher capacity alternators are provided or recommended for specialty applications, e.g. ambulance or bus use. An E450-based motorhome would near always be built on the E450 van cutaway chassis. For 2021, the standard alternator for the E450 van cutaway chassis was 210 amps and there were options for a 240 amp or dual alternators, 240+157 amp.

I'd just buy the largest available that fits.

Top Bottom