Class on smart phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim and di

I attended a class on smart phones at our computer club monthly meeting. The folks that did the class are full timers and tour the country. They are Jim and Chris Guld, aka Geeks on Tour. Judging by the list of Rallys and RV shows that have did classes at. I must be living under a rock, to coin Tom's quote. They had lots of fun stuff to add to Diane's Iphone. I am still in the dark side with a phone that is used for phone calls, and of course texting th Grands, who don't know how to talk on a phone.
They stayed a week at our campground and are just fun, nice folks.
So anybody else herd of they?
Jim

My android has a baramoter, compass, Some ham radio tools (Echolink finder, IRLP: finder, Echolink itself, Sat trackers) Map and navigation software, "Metrics" (a program that monitors all the internal sensors) E-mail (2 accounts, I have several now but only use 2) Speedometer, GPS (of course) Camera, Bar code/QR code scanner and QR code creator, and so much more I can't even list it all.  AND NO GAMES  Since I don't have time for games with all that on the phone.

It is also my modem.  And my Kindle.

We've met Jim and Chris at several Datastorm Users rallies and they are really nice people.  They give seminars on many computer-related interests.  Here is their web site, it has videos of some of their seminars.

We just got on the smartphone bandwagon with a couple of different android phones. We attended a Verizon beginner's class the next day. One thing I figured out that first day that the instructors did not know:
You can go to the Google play store on your computer/laptop. After you log into your gmail account, you can shop for apps on the big screen, and then push them down to the phone.  I found this to be much easier than shopping and reading app reviews on the tiny screen. This is a combination of old school computer guy and too stubborn to take his readers everywhere  ;D

You can go to the Google play store on your computer/laptop. After you log into your gmail account, you can shop for apps on the big screen, and then push them down to the phone.

If you look at the top of the window in any Google application (news, mail, calendar, Google+, etc.) you'll see a link to Play that takes you to the Play store.  Every device that you have registered with Google is available to push apps, books, and music.  Amazon works the same way for their Kindle devices and any other devices (like smartphones and tablets) that you have installed the Kindle app on.

I thought it was the bee's knee's :) I am shopping for a new (used) 5th wheel, and I can go about my day and check my mail for replies. What a huge difference from finding wifi or public computer.

I have taken many many Seminars presented by the Guld's.  The most helpful at the beginning was their seminar on how to use Picassa to process and store my photos.  I also subscribe to their monthly newsletter.  They are informative and very knowledgeable about the RV lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom