Cleaning plastic sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
We have a stainless steel sink in the kitchen but a plastic sink and plastic toilet in the bathroom.
What does everyone use to clean these surfaces? We notice the sink is starting to stain.
Thanks
Jim

This is what I use on all surfaces. Its cheap and works well for me.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bar-Keepers-Friend-15-oz-All-Purpose-Cleanser-and-Polish-11584/202821212

I typically use stainless or copper scrubers depending on the material that I am scrubbing. For plastic, either would work.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-2-8-in-Copper-Coated-Scouring-Pad-3-Pack-213C-CC/207015608
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

I like the Dow Bathroom Cleaner foam spray.  If you spray it and let it sit a bit then wipe it up that should help.  If there is discoloration it's amazing what a chunk of cut lemon will do.  I rub a piece across our kitchen sink (Corian) and it does a pretty good job on coffee stains for example.  In any case you don't want to use an abrasive cleaner that will scratch the surface and make it worse.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I like the Dow Bathroom Cleaner foam spray.  If you spray it and let it sit a bit then wipe it up that should help.  If there is discoloration it's amazing what a chunk of cut lemon will do.  I rub a piece across our kitchen sink (Corian) and it does a pretty good job on coffee stains for example.  In any case you don't want to use an abrasive cleaner that will scratch the surface and make it worse.

ArdraF

I disagree. I prefer a mild abrasive that will be able to actually rub off the stained material. The trick is to find a material thats softer than the surface being scrubbed and harder than the grime. If the sink is glossy, the copper scrubbers that I hyperlinked to should be fine. The stainless ones will scratch, but if its a matte finish, it wouldn't show much anyways.

My wife uses regular dishwashing detergent, like Palmolive, (non abrasive), with a bumpy cleaning rag, and then a couple times a year she uses "Gel Gloss".
The Gel gloss keeps it shining like new

Jack L

I too like an abrasive for sink cleaning, but the plastic sinks in RVs are often cheap crap and the surface is soft and easily scratched.  I would be very cautious about any abrasive cleaner in sinks like that.  Corian or metal or even a hard finish plastic is probably OK (with caution about rubbing too hard).

If I need something a tad more abrasive I use SoftScrub.  The one with bleach helps get out stains.  But I still only use it occasionally and that's as abrasive as I use.

ArdraF

Some good tips here for a problem we are having with our cheap plastic bathroom sink.  I too am cautious about using an abrasive since the sink is cheap plastic, so I think I will try a cut lemon first, if that does not work Softscrub with bleach although I did fill the bowl with a bleach water mixture and let it soak for an hour with no improvement.  If those do not work and I guess I will step up to one of the more abrasive cleaners.

You might also try a car polish, maybe one of those intended to remove light oxidation or swirls.  That gives some abrasiveness without the danger of deep scratching.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You might also try a car polish, maybe one of those intended to remove light oxidation or swirls.  That gives some abrasiveness without the danger of deep scratching.

Rubbing compound is usually for heavy oxidation. The polish is much finer and usually only adds a shine.

I have had plastic kitchen and bath sinks in both my trailers.  My sinks always look brand new.  I use sinks mats in the kitchen sink to prevent scratching.  It does get stains, especially coffee stains in the sink, under the mats that were hard to get off before I found my trick.  I use Turtle wax "Polishing" compound.  It's a white paste, not wax.  I apply that like waxing a car, let dry and buff off with a soft cloth.  The sink comes out bright white no stains and shiny, but it is not waxed and will stain easily so I then use a spray wax on the sink to finish.  Works well for us.

polishing compound the gel gloss. gel gloss also does an amazing job on stainless steel.

We use just baking soda and water. Non-abrasive and seems to work well removing stains.

Why yes!
I guess my handle gave it away. My wife hates him, I love him!

I've been told that OxyClean can do wonders on plastic sinks.

I always assumed it was BS, but then that stuff did wonders getting blood out of my wife's jacket... so maybe there's something to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom