Cleaning the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recommend Happy Wanderer's method: apply detergent and roll it up, unroll and rinse.    Oxi-Clean works quite well for acrylic fabric awnings, or any good detergent. Add bleach is there is mold.  No need for a specialty product with "RV" on the label, but the Camco Awning Cleaner is a decent choice too.

Is there any concern the various cleaning products mentioned in this thread will strip wax off the RV during the cleaning process?  My understanding is Dawn should not be used as a carwash because it'll strip wax off your car/truck.

I used a B.E.S.T awning cleaner to remove stains and mildew spots caused by winter rains. I used this awning cleaner and it cleaned quickly and easily. The underside of the awning is now shiny white again. I love how easy it is to use this cleaner. All I need to do is spray and close the faucet. Plus, I won't have to worry about my awning falling victim to the sun either, as this cleaner provides protection from those dangerous UV rays.

I had seen another persons post about this product years ago - Bio Kleen RV Roof Cleaner and Protectant.
Once we had a new EPDM roof installed, I used it at least once each year to give our roof a good cleaning and protection from sun. Did not take a lot to clean the rubber roof, worked about a square yard at a time, then rinsed off.

I used a B.E.S.T awning cleaner to remove stains and mildew spots caused by winter rains. I used this awning cleaner and it cleaned quickly and easily. The underside of the awning is now shiny white again. I love how easy it is to use this cleaner. All I need to do is spray and close the faucet. Plus, I won't have to worry about my awning falling victim to the sun either, as this cleaner provides protection from those dangerous UV rays.
And once you do start using this cleaner, the results are fantastic as it removes mildew, mold, and other issues rather quickly. As someone who uses their awning quite frequently, this is incredible news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any concern the various cleaning products mentioned in this thread will strip wax off the RV during the cleaning process? My understanding is Dawn should not be used as a carwash because it'll strip wax off your car/truck.
Most any cleaning product that will remove mold and deep-seated grime from a rubber roof will also have some effect on the "wax" (natural or synthetic) on the sides of the RV. You can use a chemically neutral car wash soap that will be kind to the wax, but don't expect it to work deep into the pores of the EPDM or kill off all the mold spores buried there. Car wash cleaners simple aren't designed for that. They loosen and surface dirt of hard & highly polished surfaces but aren't very effective on dirty, porous surfaces or biologics.

The extent of the effect on the wax depends on several things, e.g. how fresh the wax is, whether it is a natural cling wax, e.g. carnuba vs a synthetic sealer that bonds chemically, and the ingredients in the wash. Rarely will all the wax instantly dissolve away, but there will very likely be some deterioration of the was protection. If the wax job is already 6 months old, it's probably academic anyway, and if the wax job is new you probably won't notice any loss even though it has occurred.

I followed a procedure on my rig.
First mop and rinse (Well) the roof Spic and span. Bucket.. Mop or car wash brush. Garden hose. (Broom first however. or use the brush as a broom to get rid of loose stuff.
Then the sides. (Get rid of the crud rinsed off the roof.
Then a good automotive wax job
Than 800 mile hike to/from Michigan/South Carolina (Well the fresh was likely saved me a few gallons of gasoline)

Back
Top Bottom