Cleaning the side of car trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgorman

I am new here, but I thought you guys would know how to help me.  I have a 28' Pace Pursuit Race trailer I just purchased used.  The sides have some dingy brown 'streaks' from where the water would drain down (it was stored outside).  The previous owner mentioned there are some products that clean that right up.  Anyone know how I should proceed?  I didn't see anything specific when searching.

Thanks in advance.

There are various "black streak" removers marketed for RVs and they can be found wherever RV cleaning and polishing  products are sold. Whether any of them will work on your stains is an open question, since these stains (streaks) are the result of whatever gunk has accumulated on the roof plus whatever minerals are in the rain water and dew. This cocktail varies with the area it originated in and sometimes one cleaner works and sometimes another. And sometimes it seems none of them work. In that case, it mostly takes a lot of elbow grease, i.e. repeated polishing with heavy duty boat or auto cleaner/polishes. The type that removes oxidation from fiberglass or metal.

Brown streaks sounds like iron or  tree residue (often tannin)  or decaying vegetation.  I would try a couple of the available streak remover products (no particular brand recommended) and see if that helps.  You can also try a vinegar and water solution, about 25-50% vinegar. That works on some kinds of stains.  Then move onto stronger stuff. By the way - is it fiberglass or painted metal? Or maybe anodized aluminum?

Thanks for the reply.  The stain is actually very light black, even grayish.  The exterior material is painted metal, I believe aluminum sheet.  I don't think it's annondized, but perhaps I am wrong.

I will give a couple things a try, sheez, I hope it works!

RV Roamer said:
There are various "black streak" removers marketed for RVs and they can be found wherever RV cleaning and polishing  products are sold. Whether any of them will work on your stains is an open question, since these stains (streaks) are the result of whatever gunk has accumulated on the roof plus whatever minerals are in the rain water and dew. This cocktail varies with the area it originated in and sometimes one cleaner works and sometimes another. And sometimes it seems none of them work. In that case, it mostly takes a lot of elbow grease, i.e. repeated polishing with heavy duty boat or auto cleaner/polishes. The type that removes oxidation from fiberglass or metal.

Brown streaks sounds like iron or  tree residue (often tannin)  or decaying vegetation.  I would try a couple of the available streak remover products (no particular brand recommended) and see if that helps.  You can also try a vinegar and water solution, about 25-50% vinegar. That works on some kinds of stains.  Then move onto stronger stuff. By the way - is it fiberglass or painted metal? Or maybe anodized aluminum?

By the way, that puppy grows to 120 feet long when it comes to waxing it !  My race rig is a two day job for me....my arms give out.

OK, gray is the common stuff, basically dirt and industrial grime in the air. The black streak stuff MAY work, but don't be surprised if it does not. Let us know what happens and we can go from there.  A car or boat polish that is designed for heavily oxidized surfaces would be my next choice.

Anodized aluminum is not glossy or smooth like paint, so it is easily identified. It is a satin finish at best.

I tried a solution of Simple Green and a brillo pad.  Works like a charm!

Often the simple stuff works the best.

Did you mean a real brillo pad, steel wool with an embedded soap? Great stuff, if it doesn't scratch the surface. You might try a nylon scrubbing pad in the future. Won't damage the surface.

Not the real Brillo pad, but a green 3m pad.  I also used a bit of Orange hand cleaner stuff when it got really bad.  I had to be careful not to scratch the aluminum.  IN some areas It did leave a dull appearence to the aluminum, and I deas how to fix this?  I suspect I rubbed off the clear coat.

RV Roamer said:
Often the simple stuff works the best.

Did you mean a real brillo pad, steel wool with an embedded soap? Great stuff, if it doesn't scratch the surface. You might try a nylon scrubbing pad in the future. Won't damage the surface.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom