Cleaning The Windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

Our Challenger just had its first birthday, and I haven?t cleaned the inside of the windshield, yet. Still looks pretty clean, but I will bet it isn?t! I figure Windex will do it. That?s not the problem.

How do I get there? It?s out of reach, unless I climb up onto the dashboard. Someone must have had this problem before I did. Will the dashboard hold me, without damage or injury? (I?m 5' 9", 160.) How is it done?

What the heck! While I?m at it - - -.

The top of the outside of the windshield is 12' off of the ground. I lean a ladder against the front of the R.V. with the legs wrapped in a bath towel, where they touch. Then I climb the ladder to do the dirty work. Any better ideas?

Damon Challenger, 36'. That windshield is about the size of a passenger car! I am talking, the size of the whole car. Smattered with bugs, it?s a big, heavy duty, job!

Ray D

I sit, stand, kneel, climb on the dashboard of our Winnebago to clean the inside of the windshield. Never had a problem, always seemed plenty sturdy. Our 95-pound dash dog (labrador retriever) likes to lay on the dashboard so it's not like it doesn't regularly hold a bit of weight.

The top of the outside of the windshield is 12' off of the ground. I lean a ladder against the front of the R.V. with the legs wrapped in a bath towel, where they touch. Then I climb the ladder to do the dirty work. Any better ideas?

Yeah.  Go to a hardware store or a marine chandler and get a extendable pole.  Get a brush and squeegie to fit it.  I started using such things to clean my boat back when and have found the stuff just as handy in cleaning a trailer.  The only place I use a ladder is on roof cleaning. 

Same here Carl  Unless you have an arm or leg stretcher.  Ladders don't work  Tried it Fell off reaching.

Any work on a ladder and a roof can be dangerous and should be left to a professional. Found out myself this week the hard way.
After taking the motorhome out of storage I was prepping and cleaning it for a Monaco Norcal rally in Benbow and then continue on to the annual Monaco come home rally in Oregon.
Fell off the roof, ended up in ER. They X-Ray and scanned both my foot and hip. Results: foot fractured (calcaneus), hip bruised but not broken.
So here I am stuck in a cast for the next 8 weeks at home and catching up all the things I should have done and didn't do in the past.
The good news is that Mimy turned out to be a good nurse, I qualified as a wheelchair operator and have a handicap parking placket.

Chris

I will be on the dashboard, Sunday, probably all day. Wendy: Don't let your Lab teach my Boxer to get up on the dash. He's enough trouble in the co-pilot seat, as it is!

Carl: Got the pole, some time ago. Can even feed soap and water through it. Great for  cleaning the sides. On the windshield, the squeege doesn't do a good job. (Or, I don't do a good job.) Too much curve in the windshield, especially at the sides. What do you do there?

Side issue:

I have seen "Truck Washers" at several truck stops. Never took a close look. Washing takes both me and my wife about three days. We go til we're tired, and then rest. Then, go again.

I'd worry about harsh treatment in one of those truck stop washes. Then, there is stuff sticking out all over the place like ACs, vents, vent covers, awnings, handles, mirrors, etc. And, what do those places charge for that?

Anybody ever wash your R.V. at a truck stop?

Ray D

Ray: We agreed when we first bought the Class A that Sam, the chocolate Dork, was NOT going to be allowed on the dashboard. However, when we're not there, and he's not in his crate, he does what he wants and what he wants is to be on the dashboard looking out at what goes going on. And when we drive, he paces back and forth in the RV and drives us crazy but is perfectly relaxed when he's on the dash so we gave up. So who's in charge in this household?? :)

Oh, yeah, if your dog becomes a dash dog, you'll spend a lot more time on the dash wiping the dog drool and snot off the inside of the windshield.

THAT DOES IT! Jasper is never going to be allowed on the dashboard! We keep hand-towels handy, everywhere, to wipe his face. The one downside to Boxers is their drool! Only a hound comes close to being that bad! On the other hand, they sure are nice dogs, and comforting at night. Dogs earn their keep.

Ray D.

chrpennings said:
Any work on a ladder and a roof can be dangerous and should be left to a professional. Found out myself this week the hard way.
After taking the motorhome out of storage I was prepping and cleaning it for a Monaco Norcal rally in Benbow and then continue on to the annual Monaco come home rally in Oregon.
Fell off the roof, ended up in ER. They X-Ray and scanned both my foot and hip. Results: foot fractured (calcaneus), hip bruised but not broken.
So here I am stuck in a cast for the next 8 weeks at home and catching up all the things I should have done and didn't do in the past.
The good news is that Mimy turned out to be a good nurse, I qualified as a wheelchair operator and have a handicap parking placket.

Chris

Sorry to hear of your fall. 

Keep the permit for emergencies.

Chris,

We're so sorry to hear you fell off the roof of the coach and hurt yourself badly. I should talk with you so you understand you have to send Mimi on the roof.

OTOH maybe you should hire a "boat boy" like you had in HK.

Our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tom & Chris

Chris, sorry to hear about your fall !! Bet Mimy gave you a piece of her mind...once she knew you were ok ! Take care of that foot.

Wow! I missed that. Chris, you posted 30 seconds ahead of me. My sympathy on the broken foot! Good luck with the healing.

My wife, Dani, gives lessons in how to fall off of a motorhome. She has a number of methods and can bruise all sides and both ends at once. Breaks mostly wrists and ribs.

In my case, I sent the Boxer out the door, in the middle of the night. He was in a hurry. In the process, I forgot to unlock the reel on the leash. Took me with him, without my touching the steps, head first. Got several cuts and bruises, but no breaks. There's a warning at the foot of the stairs, to make sure the retractable step is out. Didn't pay any attention to it.

Ray d

Tom said:
Chris,

We're so sorry to hear you fell off the roof of the coach and hurt yourself badly. I should talk with you so you understand you have to send Mimi on the roof.

OTOH maybe you should hire a "boat boy" like you had in HK.

Our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tom & Chris

Thanks Tom,

I am not so mean as you to send my wife on the roof  :D

If I bring the boat boy over from Hong Kong I  am willing to subcontract him to you for cleaning your boat :)

chris

wendycoke said:
Chris, sorry to hear about your fall !! Bet Mimy gave you a piece of her mind...once she knew you were ok ! Take care of that foot.
Hi Wendy,

Mimy is used to ER visits. My youngest son has a star of fame on one of the cubicles there for most frequent visitor.

chris

After listening to you guys this 72 year old dummy is burning the ladder and putting in a doggie door with a leash. Sorry for the accidents.

Sure sorry to hear of your fall from the roof.  One must always take care around these behemoths.  It's a long way to the ground. 

Hope to see you at Quartzsite.

Chris,

Sorry to hear of your fall, I tried to compete but only scratched my glasses and bruised my nose and forehead.  All that from tripping over a hose in a gas station.  You win!!  VBG

Back to the subject.  My wife got a Swiffer or some other brand wand and i use it to attach a windex wipe and do the inside of the windshield with that.  Sure beats crawling on the dash as I used to do.  VBG

As for washing the MH, I spray the roof with MR Clean carwash cleaner and then rinse with the spot free rinse.  For the front, sides and back, I do the same but if there is enough stuff that I need to brush it down I apply the soap to an area, brush it down and then rinse with the clear water and then the spot free water.  I seldom if ever wipe it down afterwards. 

In between I clean it with Dry-wash N gard or Protectall depending on my current supply of either.  This way I usually only have to wash the front during trips and it takes care of the windshield too.  A long brush, extended handle, does the job.  For squeegeeing the windshield, I use a curved floor squeegee, the foam kind and it does a fairly good job.

Back
Top Bottom