Clear sewer elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually the reason I bought my first one (for our 2000 Fleetwood TT) was because the black tank would frequently stop draining when I knew it was not even close to empty! That TT did not have a black tank flush port so I bought a clear elbow with a water hose fitting. The drain pipe was a straight shot into the tank so a 10 or 15 second blast of water up the pipe would easily clear the blockage. I got used to using it and liked knowing when the tank was running pretty clear so I kept using one on future trailers, too.

Did not expect so much interest! 

Decided to order both.  Hubby used to work in a sewer treatment plant so a little old tube of our waste shouldn't bother him too much. 

As I stated, I also use a 45* elbow and one other thing I use. I installed a twist on sewer valve before the elbow. This valve serves 2 purposes:
1)  It is a backup valve in case one of my drain valves is leaking by a little.  It saves me from getting a bath with crappy water when you remove the sewer end cap in order to hook up your sewer hose. 
2)  If your boondocking and one of your gray water tanks fills first, you can shut this backup valve and open the valve for the full tank then open one of the drain valve for either the black tank or the other gray water tank. The full tank will drain out some of the water until the level equalizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=175275934511&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2386897082735822490&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002447&hvtargid=kwd-132483017119&ref=pd_sl_8x8exlivut_b

Old Racer said:
Never bought a clear elbow, I know what color "it" is. I always run a couple of toilet fulls after draining the black tank, thus ensuring that the inside of the tank is just as sparkly clean as when it was brand new.

Those couple of gallons will do absolutely nothing to make the tank "sparkly clean". It can take several minutes of flushing before the water runs clear.

I'm not a fanatic about the black tank, but I do flush it out occasionally.

Rene T said:
Never thought of it that way but you are correct and the entire pluming industry has been wrong for all these years. I wonder why they didn't call them what they actually are.  :eek: ::)  ;D :D ;)

It's the manufactors giving the people what they want.  Most call it what everyone else here has called it, a 45? fitting.  But in industry this isn't the case. 

redneckgearhead said:
It's the manufactors giving the people what they want.  Most call it what everyone else here has called it, a 45? fitting.  But in industry this isn't the case.

Actually, it depends on where you measure the angle, whether it's 45? or 135?.  :D

Rene T said:
As I stated, I also use a 45* elbow and one other thing I use. I installed a twist on sewer valve before the elbow. This valve serves 2 purposes:
1)  It is a backup valve in case one of my drain valves is leaking by a little.  It saves me from getting a bath with crappy water when you remove the sewer end cap in order to hook up your sewer hose. 
2)  If your boondocking and one of your gray water tanks fills first, you can shut this backup valve and open the valve for the full tank then open one of the drain valve for either the black tank or the other gray water tank. The full tank will drain out some of the water until the level equalizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=175275934511&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2386897082735822490&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002447&hvtargid=kwd-132483017119&ref=pd_sl_8x8exlivut_b

That's exactly the setup I installed, Rene. After dumping the black tank and leaving the valve open, I close the third valve and open the gray valve to give the black tank a rinse before dumping everything. Works pretty well...

Attachments

• 2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    2015-08-10 09.58.40.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 27
I bought a 90 because my TT has a lot of clearance and when I bought it a 45 was not in stock It has worked fine for us, but what SargeW said makes total sense, how much clearance you have will dictate which to buy.

My post about "Sparkly Clean" was an attempt at sarcastic humor, I should have known better!

While we are at it, on plastic pipe the terms are eighth bend and quarter bend.

LOL a 135 is a 45 yall are measuring from the wrong part it's from the outside not the inside 90 is the only one the same inside or out

Attachments

• 90-45.jpg
    90-45.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 8
I have a straight clear adapter, don't often use it but sometimes it's nice to not have to try to listen or feel for the stop of flow.... my hearing aint so good....and with small tanks it's important to get a complete dump.  usually I'll only use it at home or if I have time and think nobody is coming up behind at teh dump station...

Well over the weekend I used it at the CG.  Then a rental class C pulls in.  The guy says you look like a pro, so I'll watch what you do....
  wouldn't you know it that stupid clear plastic thing got stuck and I had a dickens of a time getting it off the hose.  Didn't look like such a  pro then!!!

Mine stays on the RV all the time.  That way I can see if there's been any valve leakage before I pull the cap off to put the hose on.

It's a 45.  It said 45 on it when I bought it.  Kinda like this one :  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rhinoflex-clear-swivel-fittings-45-fitting/59254.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom