Clear waste cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

Since hearing so much about issues when opening wast cap and getting covered with $#!?. Is there any disadvantage of a clear waste cap?

The best thing to do is install a Valtera twist on valve. This serves as a backup valve in case one of your tank drain valves is leaking a little. I still put a blank cap on mine . I don’t get any surprises using a valve.

How about using one of these:
cam39562_11_100.jpg

However when my black tank valve failed I did buy the twist-on valve Rene recommended. It allowed me to continue our trip.

Since hearing so much about issues when opening wast cap and getting covered with $#!?. Is there any disadvantage of a clear waste cap?

In 10-11 years of RV ownership, I never had that happen. Dump valves/seals can fail, but I wouldn't call it a common occurrence. Sometimes a bit of liquid seepage would be in there behind the cap, but nothing too crazy. That said, I did have and use a clear elbow attachment (with backflushing ability by hooking up a hose) that I always used while dumping, so I could see when the tank contents were clear and reduced to a trickle. But that was attached after the main cap was already off.

In 10-11 years of RV ownership, I never had that happen.
With exception of a 3 year period, I have owned some type of self contained RV since 1980. In that time I have never had serious valve leakage like that. A clear cap isn't on my list but if you are concerned it sure couldn't hurt to use one.

My own 20+ years of RVing expereince strongly agrees with Scott & Kirk. The need for a clear cap or extension is primarily one of avoiding user mistakes. Waste valves don't get opened mysteriously or fail regularly. But if having ones gives you a sense of well-being, by all means do it. It's not a matter of great concern either way.

So far my only negative experience with removing the cap happened last spring leaving a state park campground, where apparently someone had pulled the gray tank handle while we were parked, so when I pulled the cap gray water rushed out. That taught me to check to make sure the pull handles are pushed in before removing the cap.

I am just glad it was gray water, and not black water, though if it was intentional I don't think whoever did it was expecting it to be gray water as our gray tank valve has a black handle, and our black tank valve has a gray handle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom