Clothes washing machine for RV.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudchucker

Good day folks.
Our cougar has a laundry hookup in the bedroom and now that we are spending a hundred nights or more on the road a year I'd like to put a washer in that space.

When I look at "RV" washers they are rediculous things with fat price tags,  so other then limitations related to physical dimensions (I've found a few residential front loaders that will fit) is there anything special about an RV washer vs a residential washer such that a residential washer won't work in an RV? I was thinking that perhaps the filling system might dislike the low pressure / volume of an RV pump or somthing.

I dont intend to put in a dryer.

The small European combo washer/dryers are not that expensive for what they are.  How do you plan to dry yoir clothes IF ypu install a washer only?  You can instal an apartment size washer, but again, cost and how are you going to dry clothes?  The vented combo units work very well as long as you dont overload them.  The key has always been small loads.  We had our Splendid combo in our fiver for 11 years and it only gave us one easily fixed problem.  Divide 1100 into 11 years and it cost me a hundred dollars a year.  Far cheaper than laundrymats and my time wasted.

Mudchucker said:
I dont intend to put in a dryer.

I know people that have put residential units in.

Obviously you have your reasons for no dryer - I use my dryer almost more than the washer. Finish a shower and a quick dry of the towel and no more musty towels prior to the next wash.

Indeed the combo RV Splendides are expensive, but I'm on my 3rd and wouldn't be without one.

I've had separate "stackables" in RVs for 7 years now, and love it (DW really loves it). They're basically just small residential units, with the dryer being 120V instead of the 240V found in most home dryers. This takes a little more space than the combo units such as Splendide, but makes the experience (at least for my DW) much like doing clothes at home. Our dryer sits on top of the washer.

I don't know why you don't want a dryer, but it's been wonderful for us. In fact, there are times when the dryer gets used without the washer, such as when someone get rain soaked and needs clothing or (campout) bedding dried out. I use my rig with Scouts sometimes, and once in a while one of the Scouts doesn't button up the tent tightly enough, or the wind is fierce, and I'll occasionally need to dry something for them -- yes, I can do that with my generator running, too, not just shore power.

But if you don't want the dryer, then the small washer we have (Whirlpool) doesn't take much more space (if any) than a Splendide. We don't much use it when not on full hookups, primarily because of the water use (fresh water and sewage space), but a single load is not out of the question.

What Larry said! We have the GE Spacesaver washer and dryer. They are very quiet, and the washer can handle loads almost as large as our home washing machine.

If space is a consideration (and in RVs it generally is), don't make the zero dryer decision without considering the Splendide combination unit.  They are made in Italy and designed to fit into smaller apartments.  Ours is worth every penny!  You may not realize that you can put in a load and it washes and dries consecutively.  I love it because I can do other things without having to be there to shift the wet clothes to a dryer or elsewhere.  As to the dryer, what are you going to do if it's raining with high humidity?  You're going to have a lot of humidity in the RV and the laundry will not dry.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider not having a dryer.

Small loads and not overcrowding them is key to having wrinkle-free clothes.  Out here in the west where we have extremely low humidity (10% or less) I can remove things like shirts when they're still damp and let them finish drying on hangers.  When we're in higher humidity areas I tend to let things dry longer.  Also, as Back2PA mentioned, after a shower it's nice to throw a damp towel in the dryer for a few minutes to help speed its drying.

ArdraF

Ventless are less desirable for most of us because clothes take longer to dry.  They're mainly for users who cannot vent to the outside for whatever reason.

Here where I live all the combo units seem to be low end with large price tags.

In that case you may as well get a Splendide which is better quality.  They've always had a pretty good tech support group too.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom