CO Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I went to check my MH this afternoon in the storage.  After a few minutes inside of it there the CO detector began to beep every 15 seconds.  The light comes green and then red, and keeps blinking from one color to the other.  Nothing that could produce CO was on.  The battery showed very low power, only one red dot in the panel.  What's wrong?

You already answered your question.

What's Wrong?  That is a low battery signal.

NOTE. THe CO alarm may have its own batteries. Mine runs on two or 3 AA cells not the house battery.

I don't see why it should be. An lp detector may have to be RV certified, but I don't see as being necessary either. All the permanent mount lp detectors I've seen are all hardwired.

The detector is the CO/LP from the factory.  The panel is where the battery showed low.

kdbgoat said:
I don't see why it should be. An lp detector may have to be RV certified, but I don't see as being necessary either. All the permanent mount lp detectors I've seen are all hardwired.

RV certified detectors are less sensitive to humidity, "false" gases, and vibration.

What is the make and model of your CO detector?

On some, the 15 second (actually more like 25 second) beep cycly and red - green blink is an end of life indication. They are only good for about 5 years. Yours may be telling you  that it needs to be replaced.

Joel

A CO detector is battery powered whether it is hard wired to the RV battery or has it's own battery.  If the battery (whichever one it is) gets low, you are going to get a low battery alarm.  Charge or change the battery(s).

Isaac-1 said:
Is the above mentioned CO detector with AA batteries RV certified?

I have had 3: one was an Atwood (Kidie in disquise) and yes it was RV certified
The 2nd was an identical Kidie. I mean IDENTICAL save for the paint job.

And the 3rd one .. Well it's a different make

Now answer this... What is "Special" about an RV that it needs RV certification?????

(Answer.. Not one single thing).

John From Detroit said:
I have had 3: one was an Atwood (Kidie in disquise) and yes it was RV certified
The 2nd was an identical Kidie. I mean IDENTICAL save for the paint job.

And the 3rd one .. Well it's a different make

Now answer this... What is "Special" about an RV that it needs RV certification?????

(Answer.. Not one single thing).

Most of the CO detectors for RVs are actually CO/propane combo units. Most residential applications don't need the propane detector.

Also, if this is a Safe-T-Alert detector, the red - green flashing id not a low battery alert. It is an end of life alert. The detector needs to be replaced.

Joel

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
Most of the CO detectors for RVs are actually CO/propane combo units. Most residential applications don't need the propane detector.

Also, if this is a Safe-T-Alert detector, the red - green flashing id not a low battery alert. It is an end of life alert. The detector needs to be replaced.

Joel

Joel

None of our RV's over the years have had combo CO/LP detectors, they've all had separate units in different locations. The only combo unit we have is in our cottage near the LP furnace.

Great Horned Owl said:

Joel

Joel

Wrong again. Propane Dectors go at floor level or just above. CO at ceiling or just below.

Now in a HOUSE they have combo units since Natural Gas is lighter than air and will rise toward the ceiling, but not for RV.  I do have one dual detector here somewhere... It did not last long. The only reason I tried it was cost (On sale) .

Oh and the Propane detector is actually an "Explosive Gas" detector.. Detects
Propane
Natural Gas
Methane (Another natural gas)
Alcohol vapor
Gasoline vapor.
Butane
Most any---"ane"
And several other explosive compounds.

For more info on the density of Propane v/s Natural Gas
https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/486-comparison-lpg-natural-gas-propane-butane-methane-lng-cng

I was getting our previous MH ready to travel and the CO alarm was beeping like crazy.  I was tapping it and getting ready to take the batteries out of it as I thought it was going crazy for no reason.  Then a light bulb went off and I remembered the furnace was running and the cover on the MH had the furnace vent covered up. I woozily staggered out of the MH just before passing out but did decide there and then if I ever have to end it all, I know how I'm going to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom