Coach Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfranne

I'm about to replace the coach batteries in my 2013 Winnebago Via 25T. I don't need a set of batteries specifically designed for boon docking (too expensive) but I want to be able to overnight with no hookup occasionally. Consumer Reports does not have a section on RV/marine batteries. What brands of deep cycle batteries should I consider? Is there anything to look for in the battery specs? Thanks for any help and advice.

If you have 2 batteries I would say that a pair of Trojan's GC2 6V-GEL 6V Gel batteries would be the best but they are also very expensive. The least expensive would be a pair of 6V golf cart batteries from Sam's Club or Costco or if not then Walmart. Those do require regular maintenance so you might want to consider an AGM or gel battery. If you only occasionally dry camp and then for only 1 night, I would choose by the price as most any of them would do that.

The length of time you can operate off-grid depends on the battery Amp-Hour (AH) capacity and your consumption habits. Your Via came equipped with two Group 24 size, 12v marine/RV flooded-cell deep cycles, which typically have a capacity of about 75-80 AH each (150-160 AH total). That should be adequate for an overnight stay.

This type & size of battery is a commodity so I wouldn't worry about brand. In fact, nearly all such batteries are made in one of 4 major battery factories, regardless of the label on the outside. Just shop for the best price for the amount of AH capacity.

There are some premium brands that may have a more rugged battery case and internal structure and maybe a higher AH capacity, but the standard batteries are entirely adequate for RV use. An example is the Trojan 24TMX. It's a high quality battery but the extra value from the higher quality is modest. Don't pay a lot extra to get it.

You may find extra value in choosing an AGM battery vs Flooded Cell. AGMs are sealed and truly maintenance free. You never have to check or add water to them or worry about corrosion from battery gases. They cost more than flooded cell types, but many owners love the zero maintenance advantage.

Some years ago I wrote a magazine article on Choosing RV batteries. except for the lithium battery option, it's still applicable. There is a copy in this forum's Resources library at RVForum - Choosing a battery

Trojan, Interstate, US Battery and DEKA are the biggies.
Several other brands are also made by either US battery or Johnson Controls (Who make Interstate)

I recommend pairs of GC-2 batteries if you wish to stay with Lead Acid. not "MARINT/deep cycle" types 9or RV/deep cycle types Golf Car (GC) Batteries are well suited to RV house use.

If you want to upgrade to LiFePo4 (Rather high priced but I think worth it) Battle Born and Bioeno are two top brands. But there are others. .I have somesmall ones (like 10-20ah) that work well with what I use 'em for.

Trojan, Interstate, US Battery and DEKA are the biggies.
Several other brands are also made by either US battery or Johnson Controls (Who make Interstate)
Interstate doesn't make any batteries of their own - they are all manufactured by somebody else, primarily East Penn, Johnson Controls (now Clarios) , US Battery, & Exide.

DEKA is the house-brand of East Penn Manufacturing, one of the world's largest battery makers. There are literally hundreds of other brand-labels for the same East Penn batteries.

Deka (Well East pen) Was the last lead smelter to abandoned the USA When my 9 year old interstates finally died I went with Deka that lasted till the semi clipped me.

Back
Top Bottom