Coach Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a pair of 185 AH 6V batteries, of which only about 95-100 amps is usable,
What makes the other Ah "unusable" -?

the service life expectancy on the LiFePo4 batteries is about 3-4 times that of the lead acid batteries
It can be, maybe more. But if you don't cycle the batteries completely by the time they expire the $ per Ah for lithium can be higher than lead acid. $/Ah isn't the only consideration for picking a battery chemistry but if it's not, then it's not a selling point.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The general advice on lead acid batteries is that cycling them below 50% shortens their service life, and discharging them below 30-40% greatly shortens their service life, where LiFePo4 batteries can be discharged to the 20% level, and only moderately shorten their service life by discharging to 10%.

As to factors other than $/Ah, LiFePo4 has some other nice traits, like much faster charge acceptance, lead acid batteries can take 16+ hours to be fully topped off, as charging rate greatly slows after getting to about 80% capacity, and it can take up to 4-5 hours to get to that initial 80% charge state from a discharged battery. By contrast if you have a large enough charger, a LiFePo4 battery can fully charge in 2-4 hours without shortening its life. This can have a big influence on fuel cost if you are running a generator to top off the battery. LiFePo4 has other nice traits, like much flatter discharge curve with voltages at 13.6-13.1vdc for nearly the top 80% of its charge. Now sure they can be sensitive to abuse, but so can a lead acid, just in different ways, for one LiFePo4 prefer to be stored long term at about half charge, not fully topped off, they also don't like freezing weather, this is why I have moved my battery bank inside my coach, from its exposed position below the entry steps. Though on average I feel the positives greatly outweigh the negatives, and the prices keep dropping, so I decided now was the time to make the jump. Excluding some of the bigger name brand batteries LiFePo4 batteries prices have dropped by probably 30% in the last 6-8 months, and by over 50% in the last 18 months. Even big names like Battleborn have prices down to $799 for a 100ah LiFePo4 battery, this same battery was $949 in April of 2020, with less known name brands having prices down to $300 for a 100 ah battery, just a few months ago it was impossible to find even a lower end 100 ah LiFePo4 battery under about $450.

The general advice on lead acid batteries is that cycling them below 50% shortens their service life, and discharging them below 30-40% greatly shortens their service life,
Except, the general advice is wrong. The difference in service life between 50% DOD and 80% DOD is insignificant. When quantifying the absolute best service life vs worst service life at any DOD it's still under 10%, even that would be difficult to discern under field operating conditions. Folks get all caught up in cycle life but that's not the same as service life which is actual delivery of power, what runs stuff. Manufacturers spec deep cycle batteries to 80% DOD and that's not a damaging level. If 50% or any other arbitrary DOD point impacted life it would be reflected in manufacturer data. It's not there.

No denying the performance of lithium and aside the acquisition cost they're so much easier to manage. Not really hard to justify especially if you're running $100K plus for an RV, it's just a system option. Despite the numerous performance advantages of lithium they also are affected by DOD, just that odds are no one will use one hard enough to wear it out or keep it until it expires.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monjoe99
Back
Top Bottom