coachman santara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coilock

was looking to move up from 1990 grandville ,to a 36 ft coachman Sinatra. Is there anything i should know about this unit good or bad. Unit looks in good shape and has a slide out which is why an looking at it.                             
                                                                                                                    thanks

Are you buying new?  I personally am not impressed with Choachmen's quality but if the price is right I won't say don't buy it.  Since I work on these things though I can be pretty opinionated so see what other people have to say.  I haven't owned a Coachmen myself but have worked on many and I think I would rather have an Allegro product or Winnebago product.

a 36 ft coachman Sinatra

Is that a Coachman Santara?  Nothing wrong per se, but you should be aware that the Coachman models are are built more for low price than high quality, if you get my drift. It should be substantially cheaper than similar models of higher end brands, e.g. Holiday, Monaco, Newmar, Beavers, etc. and less even than Winnebagos, Dolphins, Paces and Bounders. But there are plenty of satisfied Santara owners around, mostly using them for weekends and short vacations. 

If you are buying an older used motorhome, I would look for a higher end brand rather than an entry level one. There isn't much real dollar price difference among the older rigs, so you can get a lot more/better for your money by choosing a "previously Loved" high end rig.

True  that Coachman is not a top quality brand, however,  We put 73K miles on a 93, asnd 2 owners later it's still perking with excess of 100K on it.  Served us very well and even better than soe of the higher end units performed.  Yet, It's not my cupof tea but Who knows I may own one again, however I doubt it.  If you thinks it's right for you, only way you'll know is the purchase it.  I can't afford a Marathon, so the only units I really look at are American Dream and Tiffins  Allegro.  Next in line would be Newmar or Monaco.  I'm not a Winniebego unit lover either, rather have the Coachman.  But now thats just my opinion.  Others like different units.  One reason they make so many different kind.  My way of thinking is you are stepping downward from what you have, cuz Grandville I always thought was a fine unit.  Good luck in what ever you decide.

Well thanks for the info, i,m not into to this to long.A little extra info it is used a 1999 has 41,000 mile and if  i trade my unit i can get it for 30,000. I,m also looking at a 33ft 1998 Itasca Sun fl yer the price on this unit is higher. My use of the rv is short trips and tailgating on football Saturdays, this is better than motel rooms

A 99 Coachman isn't worth over 30K let alone a trade in.  The Itasca should be worth near the same.  the ohnly thing that would make it worth more is A diesel in it and perhaps a Banks Pak and washer/dryer.  I've got a 98 Pace Arrow, with Slide, with W/D, plus a Banks Pakm with 29,000 miles on it and would take $35000 for it and probably can't get it. If I could I'd more hta likely sell it.  Once it's on the road the value drops like mad, no matter what it is.  You should be able to purchase a unit for that purpose for a lot less than that.   Don't know where you live but you might mention it and possibly someone from this forum will know of a unit being available near you.

Check the NADA price on the Santana at www.nadaguides.com. Don't know what you are trading in, but I wouldn't pay over $30,000 for a 99 Santana without a trade. Go back to that dealer and offer him 25 and your trade and stick to your guns.

Well i,m in northeast Pa .It does have a washer dryer and and a 7000 watt gen. His price was 47,000 and after checking the books his number was 30,000 plus my unit and he really did,t want mine. He said the oldest unit on the lot was a 1998.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Standard RV sales talk. Sure, he would rather sell the Santara for cash. And you would rather sell for cash than trade it in. But both of you are in the real world, so a trade is part of doing business here. Don't let his tears worry you - if he really didn't want it at all, he would say "I can't take your rig in trade".

NADA lists 99 Santara's, the larger ones anyway, at $35-$40 grand.  Even the diesel is in that range. NADA RV prices are higher than private sales bring (a lot higher!) but in some areas may be close to real dealer pricing. PA seems to have high RV prices, from what I have seen and heard here on this forum and elsewhere, so maybe he's in the ball park for your area. If so, I would be inclined to look elsewhere because you can get better built coaches for that money in other markets, where there are a lot of RVs.

So if you are comfortable that your rig is really worth only $5000 in trade, maybe the deal is OK.  You can expect no more than low wholesale book value for yours on a trade - anything else you get for it is essentially a "discount", money you could have gotten off as a discount if you had no trade.

A 7000 watt genset is big for one of these rigs - is this the 35 or 37 foot diesel model? Or is it on a Ford gas chassis.

Coachman  probably used more 6.5 and 7.0 Gensets than anyone for the years of 93 to 99.    Our old 93 Coachman had one and I've seen a bunch of them over the years.

Well, let us know how you make out on this.  If the dealer will deal and the rig seems right for your wants and needs, you could end up a "happy camper". Or maybe a "happy football fan"?

i just bought a 99 santara 35' with 2 slides, corian counter tops, 7k generator, it has 21560 miles and is brand new throughout for 23k.  i could not pass that buy up.  i found it right here in wisconsin, never driven in winter. ford v10 7 miles to the gallon, but just using it for canada fishing trips with my son. 

Back
Top Bottom