Coachmen quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorro623

Just out of curiosity...I'm sure this question will rub some of you the wrong way, but would you ever buy a Coachmen brand?  I realize they are low end, but around here, that's mostly what I see for sale.  So I just got to wondering about that.  ???

Please do not boot me out of the forum for asking such a question, but it really does make me wonder why they seem so popular with the Northern Michigan dealers.

Thanks for putting up with me.  :D

I have a nice motorhome a 1991 ultrastar that I bought. I also have a 1978 coachman that I got to work on and sell from a friends friend who wanted to get ride of it.  The coachman is what it is. It is a lower quality MH. it has a good motor a ford 460 on a class c frame  dont know what kind it says econeline e350. This is only the 2nd i have ever owned and the guys on this board have helped me on both!!!  IMO it is lower quality not to say it is bad I only have exp with this one. I think they would be good for camping but NOT  for fulltimming.  In my limited exp there is a difference between low and middle MHS. 
Brian
If you can adapt and overcome it would not be to bad.

Personally I would not buy any Coachman product.  It is low entry level quality, even in the models that are trimmed up to look like higher priced rigs. And I find their designs to be quirky, even more so than even the typical RV foibles.

Coachman products sell well in areas where the RV season is short and usage limited - the low price makes the limited usage more palatable, and with low use the lower quality materials and workmanship are less of an issue.

While we have never owned a Coachman I have to agree with Gary based on what I have seen.  Would we ever buy a Coachman product? NO. Would I ever recomend a Coachman product? NO.

I personally do not have any experience with Coachmen, but there is a guy out in front of the local Camping World / American RV dealership with a homemade sign that reads "DO NOT BUY A COACHMEN". Maybe you could ask him.

We DID own a Coachman. In 1989 we bought a used 1986 Class C. Put over 100,000 miles on it in 14 years. Never had a single problem related to the Coachmen brand. Did have refrigerator and furnace problems. Yes, it's a low entry level coach but that's all some people need or can afford for occasional weekend/vacation use.

Wendy
San Onofre SB

We're into year 3 of our 2004 34 ft Coachmen DP.  We have only used it for vacations until this year, but it's on it's 3rd trip from NS to Florida this year,and DW has full timed since December.  Yes, we have had some problems but as stated above, they we not Coachmen related, for example we got a bad batch of fuel that caused pump and sensor troubles, tire, and the kwickee controller shorted.  We love the lay out of th e coach, and have not seen another that we like as well, even in rigs 2 to 5 times the price.  When we were looking to buy, we expected to get a gas unit, with no slides, but for little more the DP it much more of a unit.  Who really care that we have arborite counter tops, or the blinds aren't 3 way.  If you treat it well, maintain it as all RV's need to be, and don't abuse it, the Coachmen will give you good value for you money.  If you want corian counter tops, or a unit that can stand a bit less maintenance, then go to another brand.  That is unless you're looking for a mid door, DP with dual couches, and a seperate bathroom.

I notice that the three posts from those who have owned Coachmen products seem satisfied with what they got for their money. ::) ::)

zorro623 said:
Just out of curiosity...I'm sure this question will rub some of you the wrong way, but would you ever buy a Coachmen brand?  I realize they are low end, but around here, that's mostly what I see for sale.  So I just got to wondering about that.   ???

While I and others that have never owned aCoachman product have indicated a negative response regarding quality in Coachman products you can see that those that HAVE owned them reported on their satisfaction.  You might want to put more weight to the responses from those that have owned them.
Please do not boot me out of the forum for asking such a question, but it really does make me wonder why they seem so popular with the Northern Michigan dealers.

The ONLYdumb question here is the question not asked.  So please ask any questions that you have and we will try to provide the answers.  Please never hesitate to ask questions since the question and answers provided help others as well as yourself.

My problem with some entry level RVs is shoddy materials and workmanship and poorly designed basic functions, not the lack of upscale amenities. And if you do get corian countertops in a budget priced rig, you can be sure they left something else out to pay for it.

I'm not against lower priced RVs - they have a place in life and serve some people well. But when you ask about QUALITY, that's a different question than VALUE.

And there are other brands of value-priced RVs that I would choose well ahead of Coachman. For example, Winnebago/Itasca has several lower  priced motorhome lines that would qualify and Forest River & Keystone have some quite good entry level trailers.

Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  We looked at many Winnabego/Itasca models and saw nothing that we'd own.  I guess that's why some people will only buy GM and others Ford.  Some even buy Toyota believing their getting a much better quality vehicle than either the GM or Ford, when testing proves they're at least equal in quality, if not better.

Jeff said:
I notice that the three posts from those who have owned Coachmen products seem satisfied with what they got for their money. ::) ::)

I noticed the same thing. 

I've owned two Coachmen's, just bought my second. I have looked at a LOT of manufacturer's of RV's and will have to say there are a lot out there that may be built with better materials, but the overall craftsmanship is no better, and sometimes worse than Coachmen's. I had a supposedly mid-level trailer that would be be recommended over a Coachmen, and craftsmanship wise, it was a piece of junk. No a Coachmen isn't built like a Beaver, but it is built well for the money. I've​ looked at a lot of Winnebago, and read about​ a lot of their issues online. Personally, I think they are overrated. Flame suit on. 8)

Hi,

This thread is from 2008 so people that posted on this may not be on the forum any longer.

With that said, I've own a Coachmen 2006 Mirada for about a year and so far we are happy with it. Hope it will last the full duration of time we plan to camp in it. I think up keep and maintenance are key to that. I do worry about the appliances in the unit lasting for the time we will be using it. It was fairly well kept and look newish despite being 10 years old. I plan to do some work and change on the unit as I tend to camp in the unit.

Some have said that doing a good inspection on a unit is paramount to finding a unit that will last you. Time will tell.

Al, I agree totally, we sold ours a year and a half ago, it was still in great shape despite a couple of oopses over the years.  Everything still worked well but we maintained it to keep it that way.  Would we buy another, yes in a heartbeat, although it isn't likely we will soon buy any RV.
    We found the Coachmen to be a basic well built RV without the high cost accessories, for example no marble or corian counter tops, cloth seats instead of leather, etc.  But as said, the craftsmanship was good.
    Don't forget, since this string was started, ownership of Coachmen was acquired be the Forest River Group, and I have no idea what effect that has had on their product.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I almost mentioned the change in ownership but didn't. I too am wondering how things on this product line will be in the future. Best!

AL

I find this so often on forums like this. The "I have never owned" response (I always wonder why they are responding in the first place) says "stay away!" while the "I have owned" says "I was satisfied".  After I realized this I started ignoring the "I have never owned" responses and sorted through the actual experience responses and have had great success with decisions. Don't let other people's fears spill over into your life.

Well, here's my 2 cents.  I owned a 2000 Coachman Santara (class C).  I had a terrible experience as a result of a too late detected leak.  However, the leak was not a fault of Coachman construction, so that had no impact on my opinion of the product.  To me, the floor layout was outstanding (large convenient kitchen).  I was pleasantly surprised at the fresh water control system, the sewer dumping design, and the 'tool' drawer basement access (under sofa).  The Ford E450 chassis was solid and dependable.  I can't say I detected anything in the unit that I would have considered poor quality or design.  Granted, I bought the unit well used and did not see what problems it might have had new.  But, would I recommend a Coachman?  Why not?

zorro623 said:
Just out of curiosity...I'm sure this question will rub some of you the wrong way, but would you ever buy a Coachmen brand?  I realize they are low end, but around here, that's mostly what I see for sale.  So I just got to wondering about that.  ???

zorro623
Some would call that subject an oxymoron.
However a lot of Caochmen RVs are being sold.... and even more are beeing used, (some quite old).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom