Coachmen TT quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sorno

I have a chance to "steal" a 2003 Coachmen 249 QB LT Series trailer.

I don't know much about the quality of Coachmen. i have always owned Pop-Up style campers and this would be the first travel trailer I have thought about. The trailer was used a whoppen 7 times. It looks and smells just like new. They are even going to throw in the WD hitch and extra bedding as part of the deal.

It was stored inside for the first 2 years and has been outside ever since. That bothers me a bit, because of the tires.

So fellow RVer's what can you tell me about Coachmen Quality and just about this type of trailer?

I think they make a good product.  Most manufacturers do.  This "steal" of a deal.  I found one online for $10,900.  But, I also found similar floor plans by Rockwood for $12,900, and the Rockwood comes with fiberglass exterior and it's a NEW 2007.  -OR- if you prefer the aluminum exterior I found a 2007 Wildwood LE RKS for a little less.

It was stored inside for the first 2 years and has been outside ever since. That bothers me a bit, because of the tires.

Trailer tires should be good for up to 5 years.  After 7 they are dangerous.  Between 5 and 7 they should be all replaced at the first failure.  Sitting inside or outside makes little difference -- tires are made to operate outside.

[In my opinion] the Coachman line is what they call a "value leader", meaning the design is focused on low price rather than high quality. That doesn't mean they are bad, but you should not expect the same quality of materials or construction that you will find in high end brands such as Holiday Rambler, Carriage, etc.  In light use, it should hold up reasonably well. If you were going to live in several months a year I would suggest a higher quality trailer to get better quality cabinetry, furnishings, chassis, etc.  Things like water pumps, furnaces, a/c, water heaters and stoves will be about the same as in any other rig, though

WILDinTHEwoods said:
I think they make a good product.  Most manufacturers do.  This "steal" of a deal.  I found one online for $10,900.  But, I also found similar floor plans by Rockwood for $12,900, and the Rockwood comes with fiberglass exterior and it's a NEW 2007.  -OR- if you prefer the aluminum exterior I found a 2007 Wildwood LE RKS for a little less.

This "steal" of a deal would be about 7800 bucks. and it has th ealuminum exterior. I looked up the valuve on NADA and said it should sell for around 93XX bucks.

RV Roamer said:
[In my opinion] the Coachman line is what they call a "value leader", meaning the design is focused on low price rather than high quality. That doesn't mean they are bad, but you should not expect the same quality of materials or construction that you will find in high end brands such as Holiday Rambler, Carriage, etc.  In light use, it should hold up reasonably well. If you were going to live in several months a year I would suggest a higher quality trailer to get better quality cabinetry, furnishings, chassis, etc.  Things like water pumps, furnaces, a/c, water heaters and stoves will be about the same as in any other rig, though

I wouldn't be living in if for longer then a week or maybe two at a time. It would mostly be used for weekend type camping trips and not a live in type situation.

One other question i have is would I need to use the WD hitch if i am going to pull this camper (5154lbs actual weight loaded) if I am towing it with a 07 F350 with the V10. I think not.

Sorno said:
This "steal" of a deal would be about 7800 bucks. and it has Th aluminum exterior. I looked up the valve on NADA and said it should sell for around 93XX bucks.

One other question i have is would I need to use the WD hitch if i am going to pull this camper (5154lbs actual weight loaded) if I am towing it with a 07 F350 with the V10. I think not.

For a camper with very little use like that one I think $7800 is a very good deal.  For weekend camping Coachmen is a good choice.  The more expensive "luxury" campers will be worth more, but you also paid more...  IE: 10 year old luxury camper sells for $10000 and a 10 year old entry level camper sells for $5000.  My numbers are NOT an imperial fact, just looking at generalities when it comes time to sell the camper and get a newer one.

F350 with a V10....  your driving down the highway, your beautiful bride looks over at you and asks, "did we forget the camper".  In other words, it ain't hardly noticed as even being there when it is.  That rig is what most people use to pull a 12,000# camper and your at half that.  When you lower the tongue of the camper down on the hitch I would be surprised if the back of the F350 came down 1 inch. 

The need for a WD hitch will depend on the rating of your Ford's receiver and the tongue weight of the trailer. A 5200 lb trailer will have a tongue weight around 780 lbs (15% of the total weight) which is probably just above the upper limit for a factory equipped weight carrying hitch (typically rated for 750 lbs weight carrying). Find out what the weight carrying rating is on your F350 and adhere to it.

Sorno said:

Just an opinion here. From the capacity of the truck relative to the load from the trailer you are correct. Here is the but; the distribution hitch system also provides anti sway for the trailer so that the tail is not wagging the dog.

Nelson

RV Roamer said:
The need for a WD hitch will depend on the rating of your Ford's receiver and the tongue weight of the trailer. A 5200 lb trailer will have a tongue weight around 780 lbs (15% of the total weight) which is probably just above the upper limit for a factory equipped weight carrying hitch (typically rated for 750 lbs weight carrying). Find out what the weight carrying rating is on your F350 and adhere to it.

I have an after market Putnam class V hitch, with 1500 lbs. tongue weight.

N Smock said:
Just an opinion here. From the capacity of the truck relative to the load from the trailer you are correct. Here is the but; the distribution hitch system also provides anti sway for the trailer so that the tail is not wagging the dog.

Nelson
You can get a sway control device without having a WD hitch can't you? If i remember right she said there were sway bars included in the deal. I am going to take a second look at it tonight so i will find out.

You can get a sway control device without having a WD hitch can't you? If i remember right she said there were sway bars included in the deal. I am going to take a second look at it tonight so i will find out.

No.  Or at least nothing worth a damn. 

To get even primitive friction sway control you have to have a ball mount that will take the pivot ball.  That is found only on WD ball mounts.  That is half the expense of a system.  Add spring bars and lifts and you have a WD hitch system.

Do not mess around with trying to save bucks here -- I guarantee that you will drive in strong crosswinds and be subject to buffeting by passing Class A,s panel vans and 18 wheelers.    You will want decent WD and anti sway. 

Well i picked it up.  ;D

I paid 7800 and she threw in all the dishes, silverware, glasses plus all the camping gear that was stored under the bed (couple lawn chairs a small tent ect...).

I towed it home with out the WD hitch hooked up because i didn't want to set all the stuff up in her driveway. Behind my truck it didn't even feel like there was anything back there. I had no problems with trucks passing me or anything. I will use the WD hitch that came with the deal just beacuse i have it.

Now i can't wait for it to warm up so I can start to use it.  ;D

I would add a sway control, but chances are with your F350, you probably have the 15K factory hitch (thats 15K with a WD hitch, 12K without), so your truck should handle the trailer just fine.

Since the WD hitch was a freebee, by any chance have you been shown on how to properly set it up? Not volunteering, as it has been a loooooong time since I've done it, but I do remember that the ultimate goal here is to get the truck/trailer combination as level as possible. (Last time I set one up, it was "One Link, Two Links, Three Links, Four - put the chain in the bracket, grab a 4' pry bar and strain your gizzard flipping the bracket, then putting a wire bale over the bracket to insure it stayed flipped).

Larry

Sorno said:
So fellow RVer's what can you tell me about Coachmen Quality and just about this type of trailer?

Short answer to your question.  We bought a Coachman 338FLS new in 1998.  Traded it in 2005 for a new Wilderness.  Would of bought another Coachman, but couldn't find a dealer nearby that would deal with us.  In the 7 years, it never leaked, and to be honest, we never had a problem with it.  Just wanted to upgrade to a pull behind with two slides. 

Good Luck,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom