Coast to Coast 2021 - First timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best hike in the National Park system according to me is the Angel's Landing Trail in Zion. Two and a half miles of hiking uphill (think Stair Master with fabulous scenery). The first two miles are normal up hill hiking until you get to Walter's Wiggles, 22 zig-zaging turns take you to Scott's Landing, a fairly flat plateau with stunning views and no guard rail. Then the chains start. The last half mile is all up hill with a severe drop off of over 1000 feet if you don't hang onto the chains. The chains have to be experienced to be believed. There is one spot where the trail is less than two feet wide with a straight drop on one side of over 1200 feet and a straight drop on the other side of 1400 feet. Here is a video of the hike. And yes people do die here. Average about one a year. I have hiked the trail too many times to count. On my 62nd birthday week I celebrated by doing Angel's Landing four times and The Narrows three times alternating every other day.

https://youtu.be/igI1OFitYFk

The big difference between the pictures of the guys sitting on the hi steel is the bottom group all have safety harnesses.
Yes it is sad that people do stupid things in the national parks.
My favorite saying about that is, "It is not that people die in the national parks every year it is that so few die in the national Parkes."
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
The big difference between the pictures of the guys sitting on the hi steel is the bottom group all have safety harnesses.
Yes it is sad that people do stupid things in the national parks.
My favorite saying about that is, "It is not that people die in the national parks every year it is that so few die in the national Parkes."
Bill
And the New Yorkers are much higher ?

SeilerBird said:
The best hike in the National Park system according to me is the Angel's Landing Trail in Zion. Two and a half miles of hiking uphill (think Stair Master with fabulous scenery). The first two miles are normal up hill hiking until you get to Walter's Wiggles, 22 zig-zaging turns take you to Scott's Landing, a fairly flat plateau with stunning views and no guard rail. Then the chains start. The last half mile is all up hill with a severe drop off of over 1000 feet if you don't hang onto the chains. The chains have to be experienced to be believed. There is one spot where the trail is less than two feet wide with a straight drop on one side of over 1200 feet and a straight drop on the other side of 1400 feet. Here is a video of the hike. And yes people do die here. Average about one a year. I have hiked the trail too many times to count. On my 62nd birthday week I celebrated by doing Angel's Landing four times and The Narrows three times alternating every other day.

https://youtu.be/igI1OFitYFk
You must have been super fit Tom!

jackiemac said:
You must have been super fit Tom!
Actually no, I have never been super fit. It does not take strength to hike the trails, it takes guts. I saw little kids and a gaggle of teenage girls hike it.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill

I agree. I'm not a big government guy but OSHA has a purpose. The pictures say a thousand words.

https://lancastersafety.com/services/onsite-safety-training/osha-specialty-topics/

Attachments

• Heights 2.jpg
    Heights 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
SeilerBird said:
Actually no, I have never been super fit. It does not take strength to hike the trails, it takes guts. I saw little kids and a gaggle of teenage girls hike it.
I went up part of it and it wasn't easy for me.

Back
Top Bottom