Cobb Grill Comments???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, all.....

An RV friend of mine without a computer is interested in the "Cobb Grill" advertised on page 5 in the August 2005 Camping World catalog.

It looks like it can do a lot of great cooking, but she would like to know of anyone who has actually used it and what their comments are.

TIA for your responses!

I haven't used a Cobb but I did have a Cookers BBQ, which is similar is design. In my opinion they are far better at roasting and baking than traditional BBQ grilling.  Great for a chicken or the whole meal in a pot they show in their ads, but not so great to grill a steak or a chop.  I guess it all depends on what your preferences are.

Jayne:  I think I read reviews of the Cobb grill on Amazon.com.  If I recall, they were negative.  I have seen returned Cobb grills retaped at CW.  Size is an issue, of course, because it's fairly big. 

--pat

Jayne

>>but she would like to know of anyone who has actually used it and what their comments are.<<

I have one & DON"T like it.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Thankyou, everyone....

For your comments on the Cobb Grill.  I look at anything with a "jaundiced eye" that is offered by Camping World.  I have learned in my nearly 10 big  ;) years of RVing that a lot of their stuff LOOKS great but doesn't fulfill its' promise.

If you have the time, please tell me exactly why you didn't like it.  Did it not cook evenly, for example?

Jane

>>If you have the time, please tell me exactly why you didn't like it.? Did it not cook evenly, for example?<<

Didn't get hot enough to sear steaks the way I like, had to use charcoal & starter, messy to clean.? I prefer gas grills preferably with 20,000 btu's.

If your friend wants to buy mine I'll sell it cheap if she picks it up at Yuma or QZ.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Jayne:

I think I read the same thing, that the Cobb grill didn't cook food done.  It had to be finished in an oven or someplace.  What does it take?  Three charcoal briquettes?  Stuff is cooked in stacks, and I don't like layers dripping on other layers usually.

I agree about much of CW merchandise.  Don't get me started on the Dahon bicycles.  For the same price people can get a beautiful little telescoping/folding Giatex, and the 6 gears actually work. 

--pat

ZuniJayne said:
An RV friend of mine without a computer is interested in the "Cobb Grill" advertised on page 5 in the August 2005 Camping World catalog.

Jayne,

Terry's mom gave him one for Christmas a couple of years ago.? When it arrived it had been damaged? (sides bent in) in shipping.? Camping World reluctantly took it back claiming that the problem was ours.? Well then... When it was finally exchanged and Terry used it,? it did not heat up well enough to warrant all of the space it took up.? It may have been ok to cook things other than meat, but that is what he likes to cook on the Bar B que.? All in all I could not recommend this product to anyone.? Like he said ours is for sale. cheap,? and I think his mom paid about $99. plus tax for it.? Seems the prices have dropped since they first came out.

Betty

All.....

Thanks for your comments, everyone!  I relayed them to my friend and she has decided NOT to buy one.  Her main interest was in cooking meat, too.

Once again, the RV Forum Framily, comes through!

Taking much into consideration when it came to a "road grill" I went with a Coleman Road Trip (TM) they have two models.  One has 4 legs that are straight, the other a sizor affair I got the better one (sizor affair) both offer interchangable cooking surfaces (Grill, Burner ring, Griddle) two of them in fact (mix and match as you wish) and dual burner (independently controlled) Phizo ignition.

I have been very pleased with it to date (it's lp powered by the way no coal)

I also looked at the thermous equivlent but it is a single burner, price difference is not that great

Camping world does carry it, So does REI and General RV (I got my Grill at REI, some accessories at Meijer's (They carry it too, when they can get them in) More at General RV and still more at the Coleman outlet store (Birch Run, MI, accross from another General RV store)

Of course it's one choice, but it folds down thin enough to fit in a pass through on my Intruder (about six inches w/o checking my measurements) which was a PRIMARY consideration

I have seen these lovely stainless mega-btu professinal jobs at Costco and other places.  Side burners, Multiple main burners and more... However they won't fold down to fit in a pass through bay and as noted above that is a BIG consideration.

Talk to Russ Mahoney. He has one with 10 burners, 2 side burners, bun and plate warmer, Hi-Def T.V., soda fountain, sink and dishwasher. Wouldn't fit in his coach either, so he bought a lot, had a roof installed, and added several eating tables and chairs, a lounge area, and has a separate building for washer, dryer, fridge, freezer.

Oh - almost forgot - sometime he even parks his coach there ;D 

John,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll pass it on to my friend.  I still get along fine with the basic Olympian that the Reiters gave me nearly 3 years ago in Belen, NM. :)

After receiving a Road Trip for Father's Day I picked it up, put in underneath to see how much space it took up, put it back in the box and upset my family by returning it. Too heavy and too big for what I grill.

Went to Lowe's and for $99.00 bought a stainless BBQ Grillware tabletop that fits perfectly on a foldup stand that I bought at CW last year. Compact, light, cheap, and hot (If you hold down the knob to light posistion it warms up in a hurry). And since I get tired of deep cleaning grills in two years when I am ready for another I won't have a lot of money invested.? ;D ;D

Terry, burned the first two steaks I cooked!

Jeff /Washington said:
Terry, burned the first two steaks I cooked!

Jeff,
Now you? "need"? his latest toy.? He bought Remote controlled Cooking thermometer.? You place a probe in the meat.? ?There is a separate? transmitter/receiver device that you can place up to 100 feet away and when your meat comes up to the? temp you prescribe,? it beeps.? We tried it out on pork chops the other evening.? I set the probe temp to 160 for pork.? In 3 minutes it beeped indicating it was time to turn the meat.? He went outside and turned the meat.? Then in only a very few more minutes it beeped again.? He said meat's done.? I said," oh no it can't be, it hasn't been nearly enough time.? You don't want to under cook pork you know.. "? So I go out with my Pampered Chef probe thermometer and poke the pork.? It measures 163 degrees, exactly what his new probe said.? Well then.... the pork was moist, delicious and I'm sold on his newest gadget.? It is a Maverick brand and he bought it on line at camping world for around $35.00.? My Pampered chef thermometer costs $40.00 and it does not tell you the temp while you sit inside your rig in comfort.? No more burned meat or dry.? Add this to my top 10? gadgets to have on board? and throw out something of his to make room for it.

Betty Brewer

Betty:

Buying one of those may start me down the dreaded path of trying to keep up with Terry and his toys! ;D

I still have a couple of Father's Day gift certificates for C/W, maybe........

I have been comparing the various grills also.  Looked at the Coleman Roadtrip and liked the fact that it looked like it would store easily in the MH bin.  Then while at Lowe's, I happened to see an Aussie grill.  Not too large, uses small propane gas, has collapsible legs and wheels on one end so that when legs are folded you can wheel it around just like a piece of luggage!  Was in a hurry at the time, so plan to go back and see how easy it is to set up and take down. Thought the legs were a good idea, that way a table would not be necessary.  Anyone else seen them or own one?  Kay

Son purchased a Coleman and loved it. We purchased a Q Grille, We can cook 3 meals in the tiem it takes him to do 1. Minute cleanup, storage, and cooling down.  Love it. Works great.  See you down the road and happy motoring.

By Q Grille, do you mean the Weber Baby Q?  Why does yours cook faster than your son's.  Higher BTU possibly.  Guess I was naive enough to think that if they used the small propane tanks, the BTU's would be the same, so I was only concerned with size and ease of use.  Boy, do I have a lot to learn!  Kay

Personally if I were to buy another grill I would not even consider anything that doesn't have at least 20,000 BTUs.  The earlier Colemans did not but the newer ones do.  Big difference between the lower BTU Coleman and the ones that have 20K BTUs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom