Code. Reader, location.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flo

Hello everyone, I am brand new here, having trouble with my 99 Rexhall Aerbus, needing to know where the code reader receptacle location?
99 Rexhall Aerbus, 3250 BSL on a Ford 550 frame. Engine light came on and mechanic cannot find code reader location!!! need help! please anyone.
Thanks in advance I appreciate your time.

Typically the OBD port (plug) is dangling adjacent to the steering column, under the dash and to the left. But sometimes they get pushed up into that snarl of wires and it can be a struggle to find.

You stated a F550 chassis but more likely it's the Ford F53 stripped motorhome chassis. Same family, of course, but if you need parts or service info, best to use F53 rather than F550.

Thanks Gary, there is a huge amount of wires up there!! I left it in the shop overnight or else I would go out and look right now! Appreciate your comments. I just joined this form.
A newbie.

You aren't the first to struggle finding it. Sometimes it dangles in plain sight, and sometimes it is buried.

In a similar vein, I searched high and low for a trailer brake wire in my dash to hook in a brake controller. I knew the color of the wire (blue) and the type of connector (Molex), and the top of my dash was removable for good access, yet I never did find it. Had to run a new one of my own.

Of course, it only happened because we were getting ready to go on a trip. Took it out for a test ride and got about 25 miles from the house and the light came on.
Working with a local garage currently. May have to go to the Ford truck dealer.
Thanks for the info on the 53 and the 550. Would my Vin number indicate that?

The Ford aftermarket body builders manual recommends that the final vehicle manufacturer relocate the OBD2 port from the factory location on the right side of the steering column to the bottom edge of the final builder supplied dashboard. Extra cable is supplied for that purpose.

obd2location.jpg

Reactions: Flo
The Ford aftermarket body builders manual recommends that the final vehicle manufacturer relocate the OBD2 port from the factory location on the right side of the steering column to the bottom edge of the final builder supplied dashboard. Extra cable is supplied for that purpose.

View attachment 163131
Thank you, I bet that’s the ticket!

A 1999 motorhome can have an older chassis that is a year older. 1998 was the year they were supposed to all be OBDII but some say early 1998 still had ODB1. The OBD1 was sometimes found in the inside fender well below the battery. It took a lot of research before I found mine there.

Reactions: Flo
I agree with TheBar. I bet it’s OBD1. Every f53 OBD1 plug I’ve seen is around the firewall (outside) where steering column comes through. Usually underneath the ignition module. ( google?)
Good sized plug with a separate single wire gray plug attached to it. This single wire plug is called the spout plug ( google?)

A 1999 motorhome can have an older chassis that is a year older. 1998 was the year they were supposed to all be OBDII but some say early 1998 still had ODB1. The OBD1 was sometimes found in the inside fender well below the battery. It took a lot of research before I found mine there.
There were no 1998 model year F53's built. There were some 1998 model year motorhomes built on 1997 F53's with the 460 V8 engine and OBD1, and a few 1998 model year motorhomes were built on early 1999 model year F53's with the OBD2 equipped Triton V10 engine. OBD2 wasn't mandatory for vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs until 2008 though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom