Coffee POT vs. Coffee MAKER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Throw out both the maker and percolator - do cold brewed coffee by steeping overnight. To heat it, use a lightweight solar reflective stove (think boyscouts) or shape a piece of Al foil into a parabola.

--->> Click It! <<---

I love coffee pure and natural but far from a coffee snob. My preferred method for making coffee is a Faberware electric perc, with multiple ways to power it's the best of both worlds, i.e. old fashion percolator richness with electronic timer and heater. Never a bad cup.

I do have a small Italian espresso maker (steam/boil) pot for espresso, which could substitute in a pinch.

Wow so many options!! We carry a 12 cup Mr coffee for our normal use.

Instant seems to be the most obvious choice for backpacking or boondocking, but We prefer fresh perked coffee.

Over the years, when boondocking:
(1) we tried using a 4 cup percolator, which worked well, but had to be watched or timed..
(2) We tried using a small sauce pan one time and a percolator the next to boil water and poured the water thru coffee in a filter.
(3)Then tried boiling water and coffee in the sauce pan, which also got poured thru a filter. All of which involved a bit of inconvenience.
(4) We tried a 650 watt Mr coffee 4 cup coffee maker powered thru an inverter. It took about 5-7 minutes to make 4 cups and only used about 4.5-5.5 amp hours from our batteries.. It only weighs aprox 1.5 lbs and makes great coffee, but the inverter weighs about 3 lbs!!!

Never tried a solar coffee maker.. :unsure:

In the end We decided to swap out our 9 cup stove top percolator with our full size Mr coffee, depending on whether we have a full hook-up or boondock site.

I guess you just need to define your priorities and options and go from there... ;)

Safe travels and all the best..

I love these old threads. I read the whole thing. There is a lot of good info and opinions. Personally, we use either a french press or the old perk on the stove. Both result in great flavor.

This - if you can find 4 sticks to set on fire and burn for 15 minutes, you can have coffee:

84d78460-0b52-40ff-831a-fbff13c60ff5_1.cb246dc2e4105cf9532935c630a5824a.jpeg

I love reading these old threads. There is always a lot of good information that could be lost if it wasn't retained.

As for us, we have a good old coffee perk and a French press in our trailer. Both are a PITA to clean, but the flavor you get is well worth the labor. You have to be careful when using the perk to avoid the boil over once the boiling starts by turning the burner down to "min" but its doable if you're paying attention.

When we don’t take the big espresso maker, we use an Aeropress too. We also use it if we need a quick cup on the road. Great tasting coffee and very little mess.

I suspect there are much more effective ways to reduce weight, than eliminating a 3 lb coffee pot..
Heck I have a canvas bag that holds steel tent peg stakes that weighs more than that. Lets see: do I need that large 7 lb beach umbrella or the extra 9 lb folding table, or that 15 lb zero G chair?
Safe travels and all the best.

Back
Top Bottom