Cold tire pressure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I know the recommended cold pressures for my truck & trailer. Truck is 80 rear and 65 front. Trailer is 80.

I set them all on a nice day in the shade (so one side didn’t heat from morning sun).

A few days later, while checking pressures before heading out, it was 30 deg colder so the pressures were down 5lbs. A couple of miles down the road and all were at 80 & climbing.

The question is, given in my travels, each morning brings large differences in morning temperature, do I need to reset all the tires back to 80 each travel day? During travel in moderate temperatures the trailer tires all seem to run at about 90lbs depending on the sun.

No! Always set the pressure in the morning. Unless you have a leak at think your over thinking this. Set once and forget them for a couple of weeks.

When the seasons are changing, psi is all over the place. Personally, I'd rather run my pressure a bit high, than a bit low (as long as it does not exceed the max pressure on the sidewall during a cold morning measurement. Tires have some flexibility. If you check the trailer when it is 35 degrees outside, and it is 80 psi, and tomorrow it might be 40 degrees outside and your pressure is 81, don't worry about it. You will lose more air checking than it matters.

The manufacturer has allowed for daily temperature fluctuations in setting the recommended pressures.
The tires warm up as you drive on them anyway.

For assort reasons I just googled temperature v/s tire pressure. (Pressures on a couple tires on my jeep were a bit lower than the other two The answer 1-2 PSI per 10 degrees

So 30 degrees 5 PSI is reasonable difference,

Last edited by a moderator:
Large swings in temperature should always be considered when maintaining tire pressure. It may be a little more work but keeping tires inflated for optimum safety, fuel economy, performance and wear is good practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom