Cold Weather Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

We just completed a 5-day camping trip that was our coldest experience yet.  Night time temperatures were in the 18-22 range.  We camped at at a campground with full hook-ups at about 9200 ft altitude.  Lesson 1 was to leave a small trickle of water running at night so the supply hose wouldn't freeze up.  Daytime temperatures were in the high 30's to high 40's.  The furnace  did a fine job of keeping us warm but we had a problem getting the sleeping temperature just right.  It was either too hot or too cold. But no real problems were experienced.

Oh did I mention that this was an elk hunt.  So far elk 5, me 0. That is this was my 5th elk hunt and I haven't got one yet!

janpaul said:
Where are you hunting?

We were camping at Alpine, Arizona  and hunting in unit 27 south of Alpine near the Bear Wallow Wilderness Area.  A picture is attached:  One the day before the hunt opened we saw a huge herd of elk with several bulls.  On opening day, we didn't see a single elk.  over then next several days we saw elk cows but only one fine big bull.  It moved too fast for us to take a shot.  But it sure was fun to see it.

Attachments

• PB250018a.jpg
    PB250018a.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 77
Awesome. I went to Montana last year(2nd time) elk hunting and am going to go to Colorado in a few years and hunt. I plan on taking a trip out west this summer to show it to my wife after we get our 5er. I would like to move west, but she is unsure about it because she has never been.  Good Luck!!

I feel your pain with the temperature variations.
I fixed my problem with a new digital thermostat. --Fabulous.

Go to this site for information:

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/hunter-tstat/

carson, FL

I got a taste of cold weather camping with a class A last night.  Weatherman said "Low 19 F" which is within spec for most heated compartment class A's.

What God delivered was around -4 to -6 F    A bit colder than she was designed for

I've got running water again, toilet (Front) works (Rear unaccessable for testing at this time) but there appears to be a leak somewhere as the pump cycles swiftly.

Will look for it late tomorrow,, I'm in Salt Lake now, at Motosat (Well, the flying J a few miles east of Motosat) I'll be in Las Vegas tomorrow if all goes as planned  Mitch will change out the bad part in my automatic tv dish and then we are good to go

Las Vegas looks pretty darn good, huh? We only got down to 15 and made it all the way up to 25 today. Were going to leave the heater on low in the motorhome so we didn't have to winterize since we're leaving in 2 weeks but decided it was just a bit too cold so Mike went out this morning with the dreaded pink stuff.

Stay warm !
Wendy

Well Wendy... Looks like I'll be at the Moose Family Center tomorrow evening (If you wish to meet) it's off Bruce n/o washington a block on the left

Have a few issues... I did loose a hose or coupler or tube when it froze.. That's the bad news

The good news is that it is in an area I should be able to access w/o problems when I got to it Tomorrow or Friday  IN VEGAS and I know where a few RV parts stores are (IE: Saraha RV, Saraha at I-15)  So I'm good, it's a moderate leak, I can still use the rig's plumbing for about everythign short of a shower

Wish I could be in Las Vegas tomorrow but we're stuck here in SW Colorado until December 12. Then it's off to Death Valley where the high today was 60 and the low was 32 (ok, that is freezing which is cold but it's a dry cold LOL).

Try 20 degrees while dry camping!  Battery only made to 5:00 am each morning!  Lots of blankets! ;D

Cold weather camping is the greatest!  No...it's not for the meek, but it's very peaceful.  The wife and I have done it for years....but here's a shot where we got a little more than we bargained for....  ;D

Three Rivers campground in central New Mexico

Funny thing was....it was in the low 60's the day before.

Needless to say, the propane tanks were nearly empty after 3 days, and I wound up siphoning most of the rear tank on the truck for the generator.

Attachments

• Three Rivers 52.jpg
    Three Rivers 52.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Three Rivers 53.jpg
    Three Rivers 53.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Three Rivers 54.jpg
    Three Rivers 54.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 73
wendycoke said:
Wish I could be in Las Vegas tomorrow but we're stuck here in SW Colorado until December 12. Then it's off to Death Valley where the high today was 60 and the low was 32 (ok, that is freezing which is cold but it's a dry cold LOL).

Death Valley never sounded so good!  ;D

Well,,,, My latest adventure starts with pulling into the Flying-J because... Well, there is not but 2 gallons of propane left in the main tank and a about the same in the portable tank,, In short, i'm out.

When refilling I turn off the 12 volt system switch (Store mode) to insure fridge, furnace and the like do not operate

Guess what won't turn back on.

Call in to Damon... Anyone know how to bypass quickly  The only "House" systems that work are the driver's 2-way radios and the Pressure Pro since they are hooked direct

Just don't leave your wife at the Flying J  Causes big no Huge welps on neggins but plenty to eeat  Lots of cold shoulder.    Good Luck  Hurry to warmer cl;imate and you won't have to fret the cold.

Went to MI from MA and back last Jan.  Left the water system winterized and carried water in plastic jugs inside.  Fell in love with the furnace while staying at Flying J's.  Used the toilet when necessary, flushed with a plastic jug. (started with a gallon of antifreeze in the black water tank.
Art

King said:
Went to MI from MA and back last Jan.? Left the water system winterized and carried water in plastic jugs inside.? Fell in love with the furnace while staying at Flying J's.? Used the toilet when necessary, flushed with a plastic jug. (started with a gallon of antifreeze in the black water tank.
Art

Been there, done that, and probably will be doing it again when we leave here next month. Since it was going to be so cold for the next week, Mike went ahead and winterized the motorhome rather than use up the entire tank of propane trying to keep the coach above freezing. More than once we have left here winterized and picked up water and flushed the pink junk out once we got somewhere a bit warmer. This year we may have to go all the way to Kingman, Arizona......

Guess What?  I live in Arizona,

Kingman is cold.  I just brought my trailer home to Phoeniix from the Kingman area. 

carson said:
I feel your pain with the temperature variations.
I fixed my problem with a new digital thermostat. --Fabulous.

Go to this site for information:

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/hunter-tstat/

carson, FL

Thanks for the tip Carson, I'm going to Wallmart today to see if i can find one of the Hunter thermostats.

Picked up a Hunter 42995 digital thermostat in Wallmart's Hardware section today for $19.95 per Carson's recommendation.  It may be a few weeks before I get it installed in the TT.  Hopefully I'll get it installed before the Quartzsite visit. 

Back
Top Bottom