Cold weather in transit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
As we head towards cold country, I'm thinking through various scenarios related to preventing freeze problems. One thing that just occurred to me is how the service bay and water systems are protected while traveling down the highway. Here's the "protection" we currently have:

The bay is insulated (bay floor and door both have styrofoam insulation). There's also a fixed electric bay heater on a thermostat down there that presumably would be powered from the inverter. However, I've never seen the "activated" light (alongside the heater power switch inside the coach) come on to tell me the heater has ever turned on; This is true irrespective of whether we're at a campground or traveling on the highway. I have two RF thermometers in the bay that communicate with a third unit inside the coach. But, both thermometers quit transmitting when the temperature gets too low.

Anything else I should consider or be concerned about while in transit?

Tom,

If you don't see that light come on during this leg of your trip I'd take a close look at the circuit. It might not be working!! Do you have propane heat to the bay as a backup?

Hi Jim,

I was concerned it might not be working. Don't have LPG to the bay, but have a couple of other backup scenarios in mind. If it weren't so cold, I'd go out there and troubleshoot  :(

I doubt the electric heater is hooked up to the inverter.  Think it would be a good idea to give Monaco a cll and ask just how the basement is protected while traveling in cold weather.

I our case our basment is heated from the rear furnace so if we were driving in freezing temps we would just run the aft furnace if we felt there was a chance of the water systems freezing up while on the road. 

Have a safe trip.

Robert,

While we were parked at WM yesterday, there was a RadioShack in front of us. Thinking about our prior conversation, I was about to go in and buy ones with a memory, but then I checked mine and realized they already had it built in. (How many years have I had those thermometers and didn't know that?) So I decided not to buy new ones. I'm wishing now that I did.

BTW they still work at low temp, but quit transmitting. I'm wondering if the heater is actually coming on and it's interfering with the RF signal. Maybe it's just that the light isn't working. I'll see if I can check it out at our next stop.

Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I'll give Monaco a call.

How old are the batteries in the remote sensors?  Old batteries will lose power at low temps quicker than fresh ones.

Ned said:
How old are the batteries in the remote sensors?

I replaced all batteries 2 of the 3 units, but thought of replacing them again.

Just read the owner's manual. Monaco offered only two bay heating options on this coach:

• The bay heater that I already have was standard.
  • Optional heating pads that were not ordered on this coach.

No option (in 2003) for furnace heating of the bay.

The bay heater is 12V, so it should work while we're in transit. I might need to look for a fuse between the switch and the heater.

I learn something new every day.

I found using Lithium batteries in the sensors make them more reliable in colder temps like in the deep freeze and they last longer.

Tom:

Yoiu could start the generator and see if the heater activation light comes on. If it does and goes out when you shut down you have your answer.

If so and it is as cold as forecast you might want to drive with it on.

Thanks Jeff. I found out that the heater is 12V, so the generator shouldn't make any difference  ???

Ron,

I recently bought some rechargeable batteries, so I'll try them in one of the units this evening.

Tom said:
Ron,

I recently bought some rechargeable batteries, so I'll try them in one of the units this evening.

Been my experience that rechargable batteries do not last as long as regular batteries at cooler temps.  The Lithium while about twice the cost last more than twice as long and are less affected by cooler temps.

Ron, that means another trip to Wal*Mart. At this rate, folks will think I'm a convert  ;D

Tom said:
Ron, that means another trip to Wal*Mart. At this rate, folks will think I'm a convert  ;D

Just make sure it isn't the same Walmart you go back to.  If somebody sees you at the same store two days in a row they might deduct you overnited there. ;D ;D

LOL Ron, we could hold a "Tom sightings at WM" competition.

Back
Top Bottom