Coleman Mach 15 Compressor Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlwalker

We have a 2013 Loredo 329RE with a Coleman Mach 15 A/C unit (old model# 48254C866, replaced by 48204C866). The unit is blowing air, but not cooling. I had a local A/C guy that works on campers come by and look at it. He said the compressor is getting voltage, but not coming on. He is willing to replace the compressor if I can source the part for him. I contacted my local RV dealer and he stated that the compressor on that unit was not replaceable and that I needed to buy a whole new unit. I'm thinking the guy just wants to sell me a new unit. Does anyone know what the part number is and where I can get one?

usually the compressors are not replaceable.
Did he check the starting capacitor?
You can replace the unit yourself the hardest part is getting the unit on the roof
Look on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.XRV+15000+btu+air+conditioner.TRS0&_nkw=RV+15000+btu+air+conditioner&_sacat=0
or call PPL

That seems odd, I can buy compressors for refrigerators, freezers, ice machines and even water coolers. Something should cross match. I mismatched a used 3 1/2 ton single phase onto an ice maker that was born with a 3 ton 3 phase...

It's kinda the old "gotcha" game, tl.  When you look at the "drive out" costs: the new compressor + installation labor/materials; you may be bumping up against the cost of a new unit...... and you will have a compressor with  perhaps a pretty "short" warranty; a 5-yr-old fan; 5-yr-old capacitors; a 5-yr-old contactor ..... etc.  Now if you can do the work yourself....another story.

I'd get a 2nd opinion ........ from a refrigeration tech.  I have seen compressors which were "getting voltage" but had a bad contactor .... (that had high resistance contacts.)  Most all techs always obtain continuity/resistance readings for both the start and run windings + a resistance-to-ground check (all done in just a minute or two) before declaring a compressor DOA. (Maybe your guy did that.)  Doubt the compressor is locked up ..... you can tell that from 10 ft away.  Just my $.02

Several experienced A/C guys on  the forum (someone mentioned the start/run cap) hopefully more will chime in.

BTW-PPL Houston is another good source for a new Coleman Mach 15 if you go that route.

Best....... ed s

catblaster said:
That seems odd, I can buy compressors for refrigerators, freezers, ice machines and even water coolers. Something should cross match. I mismatched a used 3 1/2 ton single phase onto an ice maker that was born with a 3 ton 3 phase...

anything can be repaired, the issue is always cost, with labor rates and a new compressor you will be almost at the cost of a new unit.

I would have him do a test replacement of the contactor relay/switch, run cap and fit a hard start just in case the comp is a little stiff.. however if that's the case then you
are in for a replacement anyway.

youracman gave good advice.  The RV roof a/c units are not designed to have replaceable components other than the circuit board and capacitors. The compressor, condensor, evaporator and refrigerant system are a single sealed unit with no provision to recharge or replace anything, so the labor cost of repair typically equals or exceeds the cost of total replacement.

Your RV dealer can't get parts for it from Airxcel (Coleman Mach), but the compressor will surely be an refrigeration industry standard item.  If you can find a part ID of some sort on the compressor, you can probably source it online from the compressor manufacturer.  Maybe your a/c guy works cheap enough to make it practical. Here is one possible source:
http://colemanmachac.com/new-compressors/

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I am going to have someone else look at the unit as suggested. I don't know enough about how to check the items you mentioned, but it's worth checking out. I finally climbed on the roof and took pictures of the compressor and A/C unit tags. I've tried to find the compressor based on the part number RGBB515BAA, but still no success.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 11
Try this.....http://www.tecumseh.com/en/united-states/Products/Rotary-Compressors/RGBB515BAA?fromsearch=1

or this one https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tecumseh+compressor&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=174247234454&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6653610810748807363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012402&hvtargid=kwd-55652920&ref=pd_sl_42rgp0l09v_b

several on there 1/2 ton (6,000) BTU .....dont know what BTU your is..

I agree with the comment that if you could get the compressor repaired that you would then have an old unit with a new compressor so the probability of part failure would still be high, just not on the compressor.  The cost factor is also a story I've heard many times.  I've replaced both HP units on our 2003 Winnebago Brave.  Both are the same model.  One was done by a RV shop and cost was over $1,000.  When the other went out I investigated, as you are doing, the cost of compressor replacement.

The compressor is available and it is the Tecumseh RGBB515BAA.  That is the make/model number right out of the Airxcel parts manual, page 3 item 4.  The Tecumseh site also has a "buy from" retail locator and I found two shops within 50 miles.  However, even though you probably can get the compressor, the cost for the part and installation will be high.  The unit will have to be removed from the roof.  No big deal, I've done that, but at about 100#, it takes time, too people, and a block and tackle.  A torch will be used during the repair so it has to be removed for safety reasons.  Mechanically it is a simple task to cut the coolant lines and solder in the new compressor but technically it is extremely difficult.  If even the most miniscule metal shaving gets into the line, the compressor will be ruined in a short time.  Thus the high labor cost to remove and replace.  As others have said, the cost approaches that of a new unit.  Replacing the unit is a snap.  Only four bolts to remove then lift and set down on the shop floor.  If you are using the same make and model then the "lower unit" contactor box can be used.

I found a new unit online at:  http://www.my12voltstore.com/RVAirConditioner_s/197.htm where you will find the price very reasonable, about $560.  Shipping for my unit was a little more then $50.  It came on a semi and was easily loaded into my Honda Element.

A word of caution though, the roof seal is on the bottom and the shipping crate protects it.  Do not remove the crating until you are ready to sling it to the roof.  Compressors are not inexpensive.  I believe that I would have paid more to buy the compressor and have it installed than I did to buy a complely new unit and install it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom