Collection of Travel Recommendations - Whatcha' Think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

It appears to me that one of the most common questions is "What to see/do and where to stay" in a particular area.? I am playing around with a spreadsheet where we can compile the data to share with everyone.? First, I wanted to ask if the general consensus is that this would be benefical to folks.? Second, would you be willing to provide information for the spreadsheet (please see attached).

My thought was I could post a blank spreadsheet for anyone to fill out and then I could cut and paste into the master.? This would allow for configuration control.

Tom - would this be something useful to put in the library?? If so, would it be a big problem uploading updates as we got them?

Whatcha' think?? Any thoughts for modification to this spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Travel Recommendations-Excel 97.xls
    43.5 KB · Views: 20
Nice spreadsheet, nice idea. I think I'll steal it to my computer and start adding my own recommendations.

Thanks, Wendy.  If you could delete my entries first, it will make it easier for me to cut and paste only your entries into the master.  I hope we get more enthusiastic contributors.  I will do regular posts of the updated master for everyone to use.

Great idea D2! Thanks for offering to do this.

D2 said:
... would this be something useful to put in the library?

A big YES!

If so, would it be a big problem uploading updates as we got them?

No problem; Throw 'em at me and I'll upload 'em.

Any thoughts for modification to this spreadsheet.

I'd refine/enhance it a bit before you collect too much data. I don't have my thinking cap on right now but, for example, a phone number or URL for the campground. I'd probably add several more columns - more when I'm thinking more clearly. But, whatever any of us say, at the end of the day it's your spreadsheet so you get to call it.

Thanks, Tom.  I welcome any suggestions on modifications which will make it more useful for everyone.

Maybe in addition to Recommended RV Parks, add Recommended Boondocking Area?? Add a separate column for WiFi Access.

Thanks, Wendy.  Great suggestions!! 

My problem becomes adding too columns that make the spreadsheet shrink to the point it becomes too small to read.  My goal is to keep it to a 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper since that is what most folks have available if they want to print it for reference before they head out on a trip.  I tried to narrow it down to areas that were broad based enough to give information that most folks ask about - What to see/do, where to stay and where to eat.    I am hoping the comments section will provide information that is more specific.  When all the suggestions are in, I will see what the spreadsheet will accomodate and still be readable.

Thanks for taking the time to make this a more user friendly resource.

D2  Could always add an asterick or number near the name with a footnote as to the meaning of the mark.  Just a thought.

Thanks, Jim.  When are you and Pat returning to TGO?  We are currently in Florence, OR ending our 5 to 6 month tour of the west and are heading home to Virginia in the next week or so.  Probably spend a couple of months in VA then head to TGO for the winter.  Your recommendations for what to see and do on this trip were invaluable!!  See you this winter at TGO!!

D2 said:
Thanks, Jim.  When are you and Pat returning to TGO?  We are currently in Florence, OR ending our 5 to 6 month tour of the west and are heading home to Virginia in the next week or so.  Probably spend a couple of months in VA then head to TGO for the winter.  Your recommendations for what to see and do on this trip were invaluable!!  See you this winter at TGO!!

Hi D2,

Glad we could be of some help! We will be at TGO sometime in early November. Looking forward to seeing you both this winter.

Jim-I look forward to your input.  I know you and Pat have been so many places.  I don't want to make this hard and overwhelm folks.  This would be an evolutionary process.  If folks could fill out a few places at a time and we will let it grow.  For folks who have done a great deal of traveling and have a wealth of information, this task may seem undaunting at first but it doesn't have to be.  Just a few minutes and a few entries at a time.  Maybe start with the most memorable or start with a particular state.

We look forward to seeing you and Pat this winter.  We will probably get to TGO in late Nov./early Dec.  We haven't been home in almost 10 months so lots to do before we play in the Florida sun.

I have modified the spreadsheet on the original posting per Tom and Wendy's suggestions.

Wendy-Does adding "Boondocking Site" to the "RV Park" column with an indication of a (B) to designate it as such work for what you have in mind?  Trying to save some space in case anyone else has suggestions for adding columns.

Thanks for all the input.

Adding a (B) for boondocking sites works. Or maybe a checkmark column titled "Boondocking" (or BD to save space)? That wouldn't take up much room at all. Same for WiFi, just a checkmark column, checked for 'yes' if it's available or a single letter...F for free, A for available for a cost, S for shady...something like that.

Thanks, Wendy.  On the WIFI column, I did add F=Free, C=Charge, N=No.

I wouldn't worry too much about limiting the size of the spreadsheet, but I'd suggest making the first group of columns a summary of ones at the end.  That way you could print out one sheet at a reasonable size, if you wanted, but you'd have detailed info for those who can us it.

For some reason, I can't seem to download the spreadsheet.  Does it have max size of spots on it?

Wonderful idea!

Al

Thanks, Al. 

I'm sorry, I don't know what the problem is with downloading.  I can open it from the website.  I am technologically challenged.  Maybe it is due to different versions of Excel.

Would others please try to open/download the spreadsheet an let me know the results so we can troubleshoot?  The resource is no good unless folks can access it.

No problem opening it here in Open Office. OTOH Al is a long time computer pro, so there must be something going on if he can't open it.

Back
Top Bottom